Kokos Goldfish Forum
mjfromga

What on earth is happening here

Could it be that the water has so much oxygen it is just taking too long to for all the bubbles to disappear??

Is that bad? Should I take something out? Nericon actually seems to enjoy it.

Is that bad? Should I take something out? Nericon actually seems to enjoy it.

I don't think it's bad but I'm not too sure :/

Its okay. Thanks for posting. I know for ABSOLUTE SURE that there is nothing like soap in the water, so I will do nothing for now.

Please list everything that has gone into this water -- food, medications, water treatments, etc.  Foamy water usually indicates excessive organic chemicals.  

She is at 0.08% salt (less than one entire TSP per gallon), 1/4 TBSP of Seachem Prime, and 1/4 TBSP of Prazi. Nothing different from last time except I upped her salt a tad since I plan to remove her from this tank soon. Same food, pellets in the morning, and Repashy at night. She always clears the tank of food. She seems fine but the tank looks ridiculous.

EXCUSE ME - I MEANT TEASPOOON! These thingies here are what I use.

post-25299-0-45649400-1459110455_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga

It could be from the prazi interacting with something else, maybe protein leached from the food.  Did you do a large water change before adding the prazi?  A little foam often occurs when you add prazi, but not like that!

I did a 100% WC. Turned the tank over and got all of the water out and everything like I always do. I'm confused by it, I've never seen anything like it. Nericon seems perfectly fine and I know I didn't do anything differently so I'm baffled.

I've gotten foaming with prazi before. Some brands do cause foam in a tank with higher organics and surface turbulence.

PH tests taken just now. Left to right

Rhonda and Abanayabar, Nericon, Slate

Nericons PH is lower... I wonder why? Oh! Which reminds me, I do buffer all water. I added about 1/5 tsp baking soda to Nericon water, too.

post-25299-0-95832700-1459115704_thumb.j

Prazipro can cause foaming but I've never seen it like that in my tanks or pond before, but I do remember once thinking someone had put soap in my pond so it must have been at least a little bubbly.  I do know that prazi can lower the pH of your tank.  How do you add your baking soda to the water?  Do you mix it in water first before adding it or just put it in?  It might be a reaction between baking soda powder and the prazi.  When you do water changes during the prazi treatment are you just adding back enough prazi for the amount of water you've taken out and not the whole tank?  Very strange all those bubbles.

I remove ALL the water (literally all of it, even turning the tank sideways). I also mix the teensy bit of baking soda and also the salt into a cup and dissolve it before adding it. I add the Prazi and the water conditioner directly to the tank after this. The bubbles are weird and I've used the same formula before without this ODD reaction so I really don't know.

That is really strange alright.  At least your fishy is acting fine :).

I had one last thought which I'm sure you already know...but thought I'd check. When dosing prazi it is important to shake the bottle vigorously right before adding it. If you don't then the medicine will be very concentrated towards the end of the bottle. I'm sure you do shake it...but thought I'd ask just in case :).

Hiya. I did shake it, and also the bottle is new and pretty full. The foamy stuff is less now and not once did I see any effects on my Nericon girly so I think I just has some kind of silly random reaction.

I've experienced some slight foam from prazi too, but not quite so much as in your video.  I have a bubble wall, but I must have a smaller air pump bc my bubble wall produces probably 50% less than yours does.  It could be so foamy because your air pump/bubble wall is strong?

It could be so foamy because your air pump/bubble wall is strong?

I think so.

It could be so foamy because your air pump/bubble wall is strong?

I think so.

When I watched the video I was like "wow that's a lot of air!"  :)

The air pump (the noisy piece of junk you hear BUZZING in the video) is rated for 75 gallon tanks and is in a 10 gallon. It's too strong but I didn't want to buy another one but I thought it would be okay.

PS The bubble wall is $2 junk and leaks all around the seals etc.

Edited by mjfromga

I don't use air pumps at all because I can't stand the noise.  For Q/hospital tanks, I use shallow (under bed depth) totes.  With that surface area to volume ratio, you don't need aeration.  If I want more water movement or some mechanical filtration, I use little filters like these which probably aerate better than bubbles. 

She has one of those filters in her tank, too. This particular air pump is noisy and busted. The Tetra Whisper and the JW Pets ones I have are almost silent like filters. I already had the ten gallon so I used it. Really just used what I had, didn't want to buy anything else.