Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

Ever tried a sweet potato in your aquarium?

An aquaponic grow bed would be an ideal way if using an actual sweet potato for plant growth, as it is basically out of the water. But wow, super interesting results about the flavor!!!  Guess it's not ideal for "fruit" production!  Ever grow any other "root" veggies in aquaponic systems?

I think potatoes would work well, but we don't eat them.  Root crops are challenging.  I suggest you visit Backyard Aquaponics which has a forum and lots of articles.   Here's a thread devoted to the subject.

Yes, I love that website!  I look up stuff on there all the time!  :D

I just wanted to know if you have ever grown any root veggies besides sweet potatoes.  

Edited by Acro

No, I haven't.  That's why I linked you to a thread made by people who had.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:30 AM, shakaho said:

I put a piece of sweet potato in an aquaponic grow bed.  It grew lush vegetation and a huge sweet potato.  I harvested and tasted the sweet potato and it had no flavor at all.

a no flavor sweet potato, hey that might be one I would eat :lol I wonder if it has the same nutrient as a regular ones ?

@Acro are you going to try to grow some? 

5 hours ago, shakaho said:

No, I haven't.  That's why I linked you to a thread made by people who had.

lol got ya.  Thanks.  ;)

2 hours ago, koko said:

are you going to try to grow some? 

I have 2 vines growing (one ornamental & one from the grocery store that sprouted on it's own & I didn't want to kill it), but they are in normal dirt pots.  I may try them in one of the aquaponic systems later, but right now I'm focused on other plants.  

On 3/26/2016 at 8:46 AM, koko said:

Good to know for ppl who have cats and dogs and might try this.

I almost lost my Odie to a Lilly :o

Don't know if they changed the article since you posted this comment but it actually says Non-Toxic to horses , cats , and dogs.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:00 PM, Acro said:

I'm not sure if studies have been performed on fish, but it is toxic to cats, dogs and horses.

Check it:  http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/sweet-potato-vine

This literally says the exact opposite. Sweet potatoes are “non-toxic” to dogs, cats, and horses...

3 hours ago, Utgirl32 said:

This literally says the exact opposite. Sweet potatoes are “non-toxic” to dogs, cats, and horses...

The link was posted over 3 years  ago in 2016 :) An Archived copy of the webpage from that date shows it as toxic,it has been updated since the post was made

https://web.archive.org/web/20160319233455/https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/sweet-potato-vine

Im going to try this, i have the super easy growing Devils ivy growing from my sump as it lit for the shrimp ( dont tell them they are food for my Oranda ) to supply them with algae. I also have 3 hillstream loaches in my tank so light light light and fertilizer added to ensure growth. I think all plants pull Nitrate from the water and the more plants we add we are moving towards hydroponics. 

Anymore plants to grow ? 

Edited by Martin Glover
bad spelling

On 3/26/2016 at 12:53 AM, Acro said:

I'm on a few aquarium plant forums and I gave "Sweet Potato" a quick search.

It seems that the potato part will eventually rot, however the slips can be grown and will root into the water.  Often, they produce several feet of roots too!

I'm interested to see how this works out (long term) for those of you experimenting with sweet potatoes in your tanks.  Please keep posting photos and updates!

will the slips  Survive in water?  Or will they die. I would love to keep then in my 55 gallon  tank.