Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

Ever tried a sweet potato in your aquarium?

About 3 weeks ago I bought 3 sweet potatoes at the grocery store. I placed them so that about one fifth of the potato is in the water. One has some roots, one has some small leaves just starting to sprout, and one has really taken off! Comments etc...?

75cdd5bf8a4747780c50d6427a208aef.jpg

692e128c076af2dd85edbd1b6ba117bf.jpg

Lol, wow. Is this beneficial at all? Very interesting!

Lol, wow. Is this beneficial at all? Very interesting!

I am confident that it is absorbing ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate from the water, keeping it in better shape for the fish. I hope Shakaho or someone else might chime in. On top of that I am pleased that it is growing on its own, with no help from me, considering I have an impossible time keeping plants alive inside.  

I'm sure it will absorb lots of nitrate. 

It looks pretty awesome. I might try it on my main tank. I don't see how I could get them suspended though. I'd think mine would just fall into the water!

Huh. Never would have thought to try it. Cool!

It looks pretty awesome. I might try it on my main tank. I don't see how I could get them suspended though. I'd think mine would just fall into the water!

Stick a "skewer" through it and put that across a corner of the aquarium.

Edited by shakaho

I was actually able to lodge them right beside the filters and they sit right in the water like his do. Let's see how this works. If they "shrivel" and fall in, I'll skewer them. Very excited. :)

Be patient. The one with all the growth took about a week to start roots. The other ones took quite a bit longer. In fact I got frustrated and flipped them over to try the other side after about a week and a half.

Edited by DieselPlower

Will do. I only added 3 and the main tank is currently 55 gallons with 30 teensy grams of fish in it and the water parameters have been just excellent. But it won't stay that way for long fishy wise, so figured something like this couldn't hurt!

I'm not sure if studies have been performed on fish, but it is toxic to cats, dogs and horses.

Check it:  http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/sweet-potato-vine

Good to know for ppl who have cats and dogs and might try this.

I almost lost my Odie to a Lilly :o

:o that looks like something even I could keep alive!! 

They make sweet potato dog treats and put sweet potato in grain free dog and cat foods. The actual sweet potato isn't toxic to animals, but perhaps the leaves/roots are. I'm not worried as neither the dogs nor cats go near the tank, but I don't believe sweet potato is truly toxic. Leave it to the ASPCA to claim a common treat ingredient is toxic.

They make sweet potato dog treats and put sweet potato in grain free dog and cat foods. The actual sweet potato isn't toxic to animals, but perhaps the leaves/roots are. I'm not worried as neither the dogs nor cats go near the tank, but I don't believe sweet potato is truly toxic. Leave it to the ASPCA to claim a common treat ingredient is toxic.

From what I understand, it is the vine and leaves that are toxic.  The title of the ASPCA article refers to that ("Sweet Potato Vine") and does not refer to the potato itself.  As for the potato, if eaten raw, it can make one sick, thus it is safer (and more nutritious)  when eaten cooked (and that's how it's found in animal food).  As for the roots, I don't know of any information on the toxicity of the roots.

Edited by Acro

Yes, I looked around and they said the vines are the toxic bits. I looked for stories, and didn't see any deaths. So if a cat has access to the top of the tank, sure its wise to be careful.

I'm on a few aquarium plant forums and I gave "Sweet Potato" a quick search.

It seems that the potato part will eventually rot, however the slips can be grown and will root into the water.  Often, they produce several feet of roots too!

I'm interested to see how this works out (long term) for those of you experimenting with sweet potatoes in your tanks.  Please keep posting photos and updates!

There are many plants where just parts are toxic. Like Avocado's pits are toxic to dogs and cats but not the meat. I have had two kitties in my live that will eat just about any plant I had. So if you do have cats or dogs keep an eye out. I almost lost my cat to a lily years ago :o

Avodaco "meat". Lol I love how you word things sometimes Koko. Very creative. But you're right, I'd probably not try this if my cats went up onto the tank desk. Fortunately, their worst enemy - Captain WATER, is up there so not once have either of them even attempted to jump up there. Sorry about your kitty! Glad she made it.

Avodaco "meat". Lol I love how you word things sometimes Koko. Very creative. But you're right, I'd probably not try this if my cats went up onto the tank desk. Fortunately, their worst enemy - Captain WATER, is up there so not once have either of them even attempted to jump up there. Sorry about your kitty! Glad she made it.

Thank you TD calls it Shayiziums lol :tomuch:

Everything I'm finding on growing sweet potatoes raves about the leaves as food.  

That's a new one for me!  Just looked it up and it's supposed to taste kinda like spinach! 

However, there are many foods that are nontoxic to humans, but are toxic to other animals and vice versa.  For example, humans can eat chocolate, but if given enough, it will kill a dog.  I can remember a berry in South Florida that birds loved to eat, but it was deadly to humans.

I think this is maybe a case of the ASPCA being a tad... Eh... ASPCAish? Chocolate is bad for dogs, but only baking/pure chocolate has the power to do true harm, and only if quite a lot is eaten by quite a small dog. It is rare that dogs find this type of chocolate appetizing, which is why most vets and just people in general hear very little about true chocolate poisoning. Milk chocolate and other sugary and refined chocolate will likely just cause vomiting or diarrhea, they aren't life threatening.

That's properly neat. What else are you planning on adding to your veggie garden? :rofl

That's properly neat. What else are you planning on adding to your veggie garden? :rofl

I'm open to suggestions!