Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KimRieniets

temperature

I have read that Oranda are unusually temperature sensitive and require temperatures above 65 degrees Fahrenheit/18 degrees Celsius.   Is this true and if so why?  I am currently cycling a 200 gallon (757 Liter) indoor fish pond, which I wish to stock with Oranda; however, the unheated water temperature is consistently at 60 degrees Fahrenheit/15 degrees Celsius.  Would this be too cool to keep Oranda? 

Goldfish have pretty wide temperature tolerances. Some fancies may do better in warmer water, but cooler water is fine too. They are cold water fish and don't usually require heating. In the past my tanks got that cold. I had an oranda and she was fine. :)

You might consider heating if you have big temperature fluctuations, but I imagine it's pretty stable with such a large volume of water?

You'll want to feed less in colder temps.

Where did you read this?  

Right now, many breeders of fancy goldfish are "hibernating" their breeding stock at 40-50oF in preparation for spring spawning.  I've never heard of an exception for orandas.  

Would you show a picture of you indoor pond?  Please clarify the temperature.  Is the 60F temperature that of your house?  Of the water that comes from the tap?  Is this temperature year around?  

What are you doing to cycle your pond?

And WELCOME TO KOKOS!

Edited by shakaho

Thank you for the responses to my post.  Answers to questions as follows: The information about Oranda requiring a narrow temperature range (65 – 71 Fahrenheit or 18-22 Celsius) came from websites found via searching the phrase “oranda goldfish care.”  My “pond” is a rectangular concrete pool cast in place in the foyer of our house.  The concrete is sealed with fiberglass.  The interior dimensions of the pool are 90 inches (229cm) long, 41 inches (102cm) wide, and maximum water depth is 13 to 14 inches (33 to 35cm) which provides a volume of just over 200 gallons (757 liter)*.  Filtration is provided by a “tetra whisper 300 air pump” supplying 4 sponge filters (“ATI Large” filters) and an “ECO 1680” water pump which pushes water through a ceramic 5 gallon pot filled with filter media.  I am cycling the tank utilizing “fishless cycling” with ammonia & testing (I also added a bit of fish-food to the water to ensure that I foster a healthy amount of Nitrosomonas, nitrobacter).   The air temperature in the foyer is about 70, but I notice that when I test the water temp it is always 60 degrees F (16 Celsius).  This pool water temp is very consistent.  Once cycled, I have plans to stock the pool with 9 baby Oranda; however, if temperature is a concern I will likely opt for Ryukin instead.   

*sorry, I can't figure out how to add the requested image. 

I love Ryukin! Pick them instead anyway! No, I'm only kidding. Pick whatever fish you like :) Sounds like you've got everything covered to me. Hopefully cycling goes well and everything works out. My fish are more dormant in colder water, but I've found out that it isn't truly harmful (I have Ryukin and Fantail fish).

To post a picture you need to upload the image to a site like photobucket and paste the link for it in here :) Would love to see your pond! 

Welcome to Kokos!

You can find plenty of people here who keep orandas at a wide variety of temperatures.  I asked about your source because i hadn't heard that myth before.  I have heard that orandas had trouble with high temperature (like upper 80s) because of the wen.  I searched and found one breeder who said that his orandas tended to become sensitive to low temperatures as they got older.  He was talking about temperatures around 40F.  I can't imagine that 60F would cause a problem with anything short of the most delicate varieties of goldfish with multiple mutations.

Ryukins do have a reputation for sensitivity to cold, however some people keep them in pond under ice through the winter.  A lot of this has to do with their genetic background and the temperature to which they have acclimated. 

Your pond sounds nice.  To post pictures, you first have to upload them to a host like photobucket.  Then you can copy and paste the pictures to a post.  

I can't find the eco 1680 pump.  Do you have a link for it?   

If you start with 9 fish, you will already have a fully-stocked pond since your fish will want a minimum of 20 gallons each.  Then if you find fish you really, really  want, you don't have room for them.  

Oooh, a pond in your foyer! I've had fantasies about such a pond in our next home. I'm looking forward to a picture.

I keep my orandas in about 75F. I have a albino bristlenose pleco that likes the warmer temps.

Edited by LisaCGold

Here are the photos of my indoor goldfish pool (see below).  There is a photo without water and one with water and filtration installed.  A forum member had asked about the pump I was utilizing for my DIY filter.  It is an “Eco 1584” which can be found here http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728330-1584-Submersible-1638GPH/dp/B0012V5VNW

Since my last post, I made a small modification to my DIY filter.  I swapped out the ceramic pot for a black plastic filter box.  This seems to provide better water flow through the media with less noise. 

I also added an AquaClear110 filter.  Since my pool has no “back” to hang a HOB off of, I devised  a way to hang it from the wall at the back side of the pool (It is sitting in a white metal plant shelf I purchased at Ikea and I extended the filter’s plastic spillway to avoid splashing or excess current from the water exiting the filter). 

Here’s the updated description of the goldfish pool:   It is a rectangular concrete pool cast in place in the foyer of our house.  The concrete is sealed with fiberglass.  The interior dimensions of the pool are 90 inches (229cm) long, 41 inches (102cm) wide, and maximum water depth is 13 to 14 inches (33 to 35cm) which provides a volume of just over 200 gallons (757 liter).  Filtration is provided by a “tetra whisper 300 air pump” supplying 4 sponge filters (“ATI Large” filters), an Eco 1584 water pump which pushes water through 5 gallons of filter media in a black plastic filter box, and an AquaClear 110 filter. 

I can relate to the forum member who mentioned that she has been fantasizing about an indoor goldfish pool.  This project stems from years of dreaming about an indoor goldfish pond.  In my childhood through my early 20s I always had a couple of goldfish.  In the summer, I would keep my goldfish outside in a galvanized steel stock tank and during cold months I would bring them inside to an aquarium.  I gave away my last couple of goldfish when I moved out of my parent’s house at age 21.  After two decades, lots of dreaming, hours of internet research, much planning, AND moving to a custom built home, I am finally about to return to the goldfish keeping hobby.  

b694034fe7104b696a6d9436e7772e31.jpg

7ad900d963daf1aabbcc1fb01f2bda07.jpg

Beautiful pond.  It looks like a good system.  

That's a huge flow rate for your little pond.  Is the pump inside the black box filter?  How does the water flow through the filter?  

I was wondering about the white thing with the waterfall, LOL.  Very clever idea.

Very nice! I like how you installed an AC 110 using a plant shelf. Great way to get a waterfall. Have fun in stocking it with some goldfish!

Wow taht looks so nice!

I really like that set up WOW... Come and do mine :teehee

That is so awesome!  Good for you.  I look forward to seeing pics of your orandas (my favouirte) :)  They will be so happy in there!!!

Well that is just so amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, that looks awesome...

Just wanna jump in here with MY own  W O W!!!!!!!