Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bmitchell486

Lethargic, slightly sideways fish

Angel did well over the weekend.  He's seemed to be much more active last night.  He is eagerly eating the medicated food.

Here's where he's at:

22 days total in QT @ 78 degrees, .1% salinity
- First 4 days no meds
- Next 3 days with API General Cure
- Next 14 days with Mardel Maricyn Two
- Today he is beginning no meds in his water, eating Antibiotic II food (he had some food last week, but to make it easier I figured I'd begin counting it today since he wasn't fed over the weekend.)

Thank you all for the help and advice.  I plan on feeding him exclusively the Antibiotic II food this week, and then checking back in with you guys to see how long I should continue feeding it.

Angel seems to be 100% better!  He is not bottom sitting anymore (but is acting bored in QT).  He's eating the medicated flakes super well.  The food packaging says the food needs to be consumed in 10 seconds or else the medication will come off into the water.  So I have been sort of hand feeding him one large flake at a time until he's full, and we've gotten really good at it! :)  He watches for my hand and gobbles the flake up as soon as it's in the water. :)

I think he's ready to join his buddies back in the main tank.  What do you guys think?

Glad to hear Angel is better!!!!

Good to hear this. Can you provide a med summary? Thanks!

Good to hear this. Can you provide a med summary? Thanks!

Sure!

29 days total in QT @ 78 degrees, .1% salinity
- First 4 days no meds
- Next 3 days with API General Cure
- Next 14 days with Mardel Maricyn Two
- Next 8 eating Antibiotic II food (no meds in water, no salt in water)
Edited by Bmitchell486

From Arctic Mama: Instructions on the food indicate to feed the food exclusively for 10 days, then you are done.

After all the antibiotics, you'll want to feed your fish with food that has probiotics in it for a week or two. I do this by putting a probiotic pill in gel food like Repashy. There are prepared fish foods out there that already have probiotics. I believe Cobalt makes one.

Great, thank you ladies!  I will continue feeding him the antibiotic food for 2 more days.  

And perfect!  I already have acidophilus capsules in my refrigerator.  I usually make 1T of repashy (and 3T of water) in each batch so the fish eat it while it's still nice and fresh.  I'll add 1 capsule -- let me know if you think I should add more or less.  I think it will be fine for all the goldies to eat the repashy with acidophilus in it, so I'll put him back in the main tank after 2 days and begin feeding the gel food to everyone.

Sounds good! You'll want to make sure that when you add in the probiotic that the mixture is not too much above 140F. Ideally at it or below. Not all probiotics can take high heat.

Good thinking!  I hadn't even thought of that.  Hmm.... So normally I just boil some water and add it to the repashy and stick it straight in the refrigerator for it to firm up.  This time I'll just keep stirring it and when it cools down and looks like it's about to firm up, I'll add the acidophilus.

I got home from work yesterday, fed Angel his "last meal" of medicated food, and then I couldn't help myself so I put him back in the main tank!  :nana

He was happy to be there, I could tell.  He always hangs out with my other 2 that I've had for almost 6 years.  I got a couple of pics to show you guys -- he and I thank you SO MUCH for helping him get better so he can continue enjoying his life with his friends  :rockon

IMG_9675.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

The whole gang :) 

IMG_9711.jpg

He looks great, and so happy to be home!

They are such beautiful fish! I'm glad it has all worked out well

Edited by Speckles

I'm sorry I kept missing this thread???? My apologies!

I'm glad the medicated food arrived and seems to have done the job. That is great news. He looks MUCH better with his fishy friends :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks Taryl! He's continued to be happy and active this weekend.  I am so thankful that he's feeling better.  Thank you so much for your advice!