Kokos Goldfish Forum

Aw how adorable Koko!  I'd like to get a Pongo... but I am completely out of room!  :thumbdown

I keep finding myself going back to look at Sharon's posts on building outdoor ponds and filtration, and scheming on what I want to do.... Just need to figure out how to camouflage it so my husband won't know....  :peeka

Oh no... you got to build a pond... WOOOT!! you could have the whole Pongo, Mango and Tango family :teehee

Haha, that would be AWESOME!  And I already have a Mango too  :greenbanana:

I follow Cynthia on IG, and I know she's got a batch of calico fry right now.  Sometimes she sells sets of 4-8 fry when they're young (like under an inch long).  She said she'd know in the next few weeks, after culling, if she has enough fry to sell them in batches.  I'm hoping she does.... bc then I'm TOTALLY setting up a pond and raising those guys outside for the summer.  I'm thinking of doing above ground in a rubbermaid stock tank (the 150) and that way I can bring it inside for the winter.  I know lots of people winter their goldfish outside just fine, but I'd be worried since they're fancies, and it can get well below 0 in Ohio during the winter...

Just do it.  Tell him you are building ... an outdoor laundry facility ... and you will need him to move the washing machine, build a roof for it, and put up a clothesline.  That ought to keep him far away.  :D

:rofl3  :rofl  I am dying laughing here at work.  Koko, you are brilliant!  :clapping:

I really think I am going to.  I got $200 for my birthday.  I think I can get the rubermaid stock tank and pump for $200.  I've already got a bucket and will just use scrubbies and an AC filter for filter media (all of this was learned from the amazaing Shakaho).  Then I've just got to save up for actually buying the ECR babies!  And eventually I'll build a nice wooden framed box with a lid... after another payday  :redbanana:

Just do it.  Tell him you are building ... an outdoor laundry facility ... and you will need him to move the washing machine, build a roof for it, and put up a clothesline.  That ought to keep him far away.  :D

Oh! haha, I just came back and realized that it was you Sharon who said this, and not Koko!  :D

But yes.. I have read and reread your posts about the ponds and filtration and think I'm quite close to actually doing it...

congrats, I just love how high he holds his fins!

if you haven't picked a name yet Autumn would be nice :happydance

Thanks!  I think that's what caught my eye about him. :)   And yeah, I've already named him Tango, but Autumn is so pretty too!

Yay! He's looking better now.

(I want a pond too... I'm out of room for fish!)

Yeah... I'm thinking the pond is going to happen sometime in the next few weeks... I decided on a spot that's next to our deck, and there's a tree there too so it will only get full sun for about 1 hour a day.  I think that will help it from overheating in the summer since it will be above ground.

I've been watching the post about your brother building your pond -- SO cool!  I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Trees give the least desirable shade, since they continually drop debris.  Build shade works best, followed by a shade cloth  supported over the pond.  If you have to go under the tree, when you make a cover for the pond

898f5151-fe76-44cc-a6bf-01bf9b6597e2.jpg

put window screen over the fencing.  It won't catch all of the tree debris, but will get most of it.  

Would you be more specific about your location than USA?  Pond care concerns in MN differs a lot from those in FL.

Yeah! So I live in Ohio.  It will be next to he deck.  I paid attention this weekend and noticed that in that spot, the house/deck/privacy fence keep it in the shade completely until about 2:00 in the afternoon.  It's not actually under the tree, but because it's near the tree, the tree blocks the afternoon sun, starting at like 3-4:00.  If I need to build additional shade, it will be quite easy since I have the deck railing right there for support.

And yeah, I'm planning on building a bottomless wooden box around it, with a hinged lid.  Will pick out the screen cover at the hardware store, depending on what they carry, but the holes won't be any larger than 1/2 inch.  I know boxing it in will make it so that I can't use the drain spout at the bottom, but I'd be so worried a fish would get stuck to that so I wouldn't use it anyways.

I plan to siphon out 10% daily.  Our hose water is pretty cold even in the summer, so I don't know how I'd be able to do large water changes with the large temp difference between the pond water and hose water.  And I imagine it would take quite a while for the hose water to warm up in the pond, if I were to remove the fish during water changes.  So I think the 10% daily will work best. (If I ever got into a bind, my python hose will reach outside to the pond, and I could match the water temp from tap to pond, but I'd hate to have to do that all the time.)

Wow he is beautiful! I love his high dorsal fin.

Good Luck with your pond!

Edited by FishyMandy

Look at the water change feature here, in post #10.   You need a fresh water reservoir about 1/10 the pond volume.  You need to elevate this so the bottom of the container is at or above the pond.  You can make a "stand" for the reservoir pretty easily with cement blocks.  Near the bottom of the reservoir, you put a pipe through the wall for the water to go out.   In this thread, I show a lot of variations on the system used in the previous link.  I really like the hose bib dripper, although the others all work.

I have two recommendations for the fresh water reservoir for a 150 gallon pond.  A heavy-duty tote sits nicely on a rectangular cement block stand.  Something like this or this. I also like a muck bucket.

The overflow is pretty much the same for any stock tank.  You drill a hole for the uniseal, put it in, and push a pipe through it.  Then put a pipe to the bottom of the tank to pick up the water.  When you make the box to  surround the tank, you can cut a hole for the overflow pipe.

This system makes daily water change so simple.  You just put your water conditioner in the reservoir and fill it with the hose.  You don't have to worry about the water temperature,  since the new water trickles in slowly and it really doesn't change the temperature even when you fill the reservoir with cold water on a hot day.  

Yeah... I'm thinking the pond is going to happen sometime in the next few weeks... I decided on a spot that's next to our deck, and there's a tree there too so it will only get full sun for about 1 hour a day.  I think that will help it from overheating in the summer since it will be above ground.

I've been watching the post about your brother building your pond -- SO cool!  I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

It's going to take forever but we will get it done. He has begun practicing a bit so he can do it right when he gets down to it.

Look at the water change feature here, in post #10.   You need a fresh water reservoir about 1/10 the pond volume.  You need to elevate this so the bottom of the container is at or above the pond.  You can make a "stand" for the reservoir pretty easily with cement blocks.  Near the bottom of the reservoir, you put a pipe through the wall for the water to go out.   In this thread, I show a lot of variations on the system used in the previous link.  I really like the hose bib dripper, although the others all work.

I have two recommendations for the fresh water reservoir for a 150 gallon pond.  A heavy-duty tote sits nicely on a rectangular cement block stand.  Something like this or this. I also like a muck bucket.

The overflow is pretty much the same for any stock tank.  You drill a hole for the uniseal, put it in, and push a pipe through it.  Then put a pipe to the bottom of the tank to pick up the water.  When you make the box to  surround the tank, you can cut a hole for the overflow pipe.

This system makes daily water change so simple.  You just put your water conditioner in the reservoir and fill it with the hose.  You don't have to worry about the water temperature,  since the new water trickles in slowly and it really doesn't change the temperature even when you fill the reservoir with cold water on a hot day.  

Wow.  What sorcery is this?! It's genius.

I doubt I'll have the space though... I was talking with my husband and he thought a better location would be in the corner of our yard (not next to the deck).  It would be in the corner of our privacy fence, and I would still build the wooden box around it with a lid.  But in this case, the fish will get morning sun but will not have any afternoon sun.  And I'm waiting for our tree's leaves to fully come out (probably this weekend) and I'll monitor if it gives any shade to that corner in the morning.

I need to take a picture and show you the space. If I'm able to set something like this up, man, water changes would be easy peasy!

Do you have convenient electricity at the corner of the yard? 

Do you have convenient electricity at the corner of the yard? 

No.  BUT, I can bury the extension cord under ground along the fence line.  Then it will go up under the deck and I can plug it into our outdoor outlet.

If you run it through conduit,  you can take the most direct route to the outlet.  The cord is safest in a plastic pipe.

If you run it through conduit,  you can take the most direct route to the outlet.  The cord is safest in a plastic pipe.

Good idea -- hadn't thought of that!

Okay, so first off, my pond is still in the concept phase.  So, you can answer this at your leisure, or even not at all! haha.

Here is the pictures of the 2 spots we're thinking about.  Remember, I'm planning on getting the 150 rubbermaid, with the pump-in-bucket filter with holes in the bottom, that fountains up out of the bucket.

Spot #1: Close to the outlet, morning sun is blocked by the house, and the late afternoon sun is blocked by the tree. And I can sit on the deck and watch the fishies :)

IMG_9833.jpg

Spot # 2: This one will probably have less sun (morning sun blocked by tree, afternoon sun blocked by fence. But I can't watch the fishies from my deck :)

IMG_9834.jpg

Which is better? Or are neither good?

I plan on leveling the ground, then putting a layer of sand, then 1x1 foot pavers under it to give it support to sit level.