Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Bmitchell486

New Fantail!

44 posts in this topic

So, I'd been visiting my LFS's on a weekly basis for a little while, looking for someone special :)  I am so picky and it always takes me forever to find a fish that I want to buy.  I was looking for a red/white sakura short tailed ryukin or ranchu.  BUT, I saw this guy and decided I had to have him :)

I like his color, body shape, and the length of his fins in proportion to his body.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but his fins are injured.  There were about 30 goldfish in the tank he was in, and for some reason there were 2 super tiny moors that were chasing everyone around and really biting at everyone's bodies/fins.  Who knows how his tail was injured, but I'm sure it will heal nicely :)

IMG_9160.jpg

Anyone have any name ideas?

Wow he is a stunner!

Pretty bird... Ahem goldfish :teehee:heart

My name suggestion is Fanny the fantail :D

I'm tempted to name him Donald Trump, bc they're the same color!  :rofl

I can just hear him now "I'm gonna make your tank great again!"

J/K though.... I won't name him that :doh11: I'm thinking something with a fire/flame theme, since he's honestly the color of golden orange trees in the fall.  But we'll see, he's gotta make it through QT for a month before his name can be "official" :)

Ember for the color of red hot coals?

Beautiful!!!!!

Ember for the color of red hot coals?

Oh! That's a good name to consider!

Beautiful!!!!!

Thanks Dawn :)

Great pick. 

Trooper :)

He is super pretty! The color is amazing :thud

he's gotta make it through QT for a month before his name can be "official" :)

This is exactly what I was trying to get across about naming my new guy. :rofl3 

Smaug?? Idek possibly some other name but what a great find :D

Great pick. 

Thanks! :)

Trooper :)

That's a good one, bc he's being a trooper so far!

He is super pretty! The color is amazing :thud

he's gotta make it through QT for a month before his name can be "official" :)

This is exactly what I was trying to get across about naming my new guy. :rofl3

Thanks! And yeah, I don't want to jynx it.  He looks pretty healthy to me, but the black moor's were relentlessly picking on him and several others, and goldfish don't usually do that unless the "victim" is sick or dying... so time will have to tell!  I'm optimistic though :)

Ah! I love your profile pic!  I googled Smaug (bc it sounds really cool) but then I realized it's that scary dragon from Lord of the Rings!  Ahhhh! Too scary for me!  :rofl

Ah! I love your profile pic!  I googled Smaug (bc it sounds really cool) but then I realized it's that scary dragon from Lord of the Rings!  Ahhhh! Too scary for me!  :rofl

Thank you those are my three monsters aka my guinea pigs :) 

Oh, boy he's cute! Strong color too. Good job for getting him away from meanie moors lol

Oh, boy he's cute! Strong color too. Good job for getting him away from meanie moors lol

Haha, thanks!  Yeah, I was surprised at the little guys, they were probably 1 1/2 inches long and picking on fish that were 4x their size!  I watched the tank for about 15 minutes straight, and it was VERY hard for me to see them picking on everyone so much.  I used to work at a PetSmart, and back then I would have put the little moor's into another tank on their own.

Blaze smiley_on_fire_by_googlememan.gif

Very cute! Those ribs will heal up in no time with the normal quarantine procedures :)

I'd name him Tango.

Very cute! I second Tango :)

Very cute! Those ribs will heal up in no time with the normal quarantine procedures :)

I'd name him Tango.

I really like Tango.... That just may be the right name for him. 

And yeah, so far he isn't showing any signs of any infection. I've just got him in water with .1% salt and prazi.  I hope to have a really uneventful quarantine!  You may remember the last time I bought new fish, I thought I was being careful with quarantine (using separate hoses, food containers, washing my hands to my elbows when I would do anything with the new fish, and they were in different rooms) but I cross contaminated and all my original fish got sick and my favorite one ended up dying.  I think I used the same towel for drying my hands when I was working on the tanks, and that may have been how it happened.  But anyways, this time I'm going to be even more careful.

Here's another pic (just couldn't help myself!) that's through the side of his tote

IMG_9161.jpg

After about a month in QT -- the new guy is now in the main tank! 

IMG_9396.jpg

I think his name will be Tango :)

Like the name .. I had a Tango :teehee

and a Pongo too :teehee

Oh and Mango :rofl

Aw how adorable Koko!  I'd like to get a Pongo... but I am completely out of room!  :thumbdown

I keep finding myself going back to look at Sharon's posts on building outdoor ponds and filtration, and scheming on what I want to do.... Just need to figure out how to camouflage it so my husband won't know....  :peeka