Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yonjuro

NLS Algae/Gel ?

Hi all,

I have successfully made my own Gel foods in the past, but thought I would try the NLS Algae/Gel which is new to me since I have rejoined the fishy world. 

I am having a bit of difficulty setting it! Which is pretty weird as it seems like there really is no room for user error when following the directions LOL. :blink:  It seems to form a very soft gel, and won't cut into cubes like I am used to. 

I have found it was very thick and coarse when I did exactly 1 tbl spoon of powder to 3 tbl spoons of boiling water. So coarse that it wont pour or spread into a container to set.

Its not a cheap product here so I don't want to keep throwing out unusable batches.  :wall

Do any users here have any tips or advice for me... please  :)

Do any users here have any tips or advice for me... please   :)

My guess is that steps 1 and 2  in the NLS instructions cool down the water too much for it to gel properly. I add agar agar and boil it for seval minutes before the seaweed powder (like NLS or Soilent Green) & other additives. It is trial and error to get the right gel-set (not to chewy, but doesn't fall apart on hitting the water) for your unique recipe.

I have not used this powder, but am just offering general gel-powder advice re: setting the batch.

If your batch doesn't set.... no worries.

Freeze it as a slab in your freezer on a board. Then cut it up as blocks. Then freeze again in a closed container until ready to thaw for feeding.

You can carefully chop a block to drop v.small slightly frozen 1/4 pea sized pellets in since they'll thaw instantly when they hit water.

Edited by mysterygirl

I use the NLS Algae gel and I did find that it was very pastey/grainy at first...I added tiny tiny bits of water a bit at a time until I got a smooth paste rather than a grainy paste and it set well for me then.

Do any users here have any tips or advice for me... please   :)

My guess is that steps 1 and 2  in the NLS instructions cool down the water too much for it to gel properly. I add agar agar and boil it for seval minutes before the seaweed powder (like NLS or Soilent Green) & other additives. It is trial and error to get the right gel-set (not to chewy, but doesn't fall apart on hitting the water) for your unique recipe.

I have not used this powder, but am just offering general gel-powder advice re: setting the batch.

If your batch doesn't set.... no worries.

Freeze it as a slab in your freezer on a board. Then cut it up as blocks. Then freeze again in a closed container until ready to thaw for feeding.

You can carefully chop a block to drop v.small slightly frozen 1/4 pea sized pellets in since they'll thaw instantly when they hit water.

Thanks  :)  Yeah, I have no issues when doing DIY gels with agar agar, just thought this stuff would be easier LOL 

I use the NLS Algae gel and I did find that it was very pastey/grainy at first...I added tiny tiny bits of water a bit at a time until I got a smooth paste rather than a grainy paste and it set well for me then.

Good plan - I will give this method a try tomorrow :)  do you nuke in the microwave for a few seconds once mixed??

Nope I didnt just poured it into a container and put it in the fridge. I did use boiling water though

Just a quick update...

Boiled water then measured into a mixing container, nuked it for 15 seconds to make sure the water and container were very hot. Added the powder, mixed and it worked perfectly.  :D