Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Kayla102968

Manx - my tail-less shubunkin pond fry :)

16 posts in this topic

My little tail-less shubunkin fry from this year has been doing well this winter in the 700 gallon pond with all the big adult fish.  She does have cement blocks to hide out in if she wants and tends to stay near them.  I think it gives her a bit of security.  Lately I have noticed that she has been swimming erratically in the pond...barrel rolling and turning on her side...flashing in the water quickly.  She only does this occasionally.  I decided I best bring her inside and treat her for flukes.  Of course now since I have brought her inside...the erratic swimming has disappeared.  I noticed she did poop quite a bit when I brought her in so maybe that was part of it.  Anyway, I have brought her inside now so I might as well treat her with prazi and afterwards salt.  Then I can return her to the pond when it gets warmer.  I think she is really adorable.  I couldn't euthanize her as a baby when I saw she was tail-less, and although initially as a baby she had some troubles in the water...her fins have grown into her body and she swims just fine.  Here is a video of Manx...she started her first prazi round today just before the video was taken.  It seems she really likes to play with her image at the side of the tank...I'm not sure that is what she is doing...but it sure looks like it :).

Wow! She's amazing. Nice of you to keep her and give her a chance even with her physical disability.

She swims surprisingly well. I wouldn't have kept her but she's awfully cute :)

Very cute and strange! Gorgeous colors on her. :)

What a little cutie! She seems to compensate well for not having a tail :goldfish:

"Tail-less shubunkin"?  NO!

"Meteor goldfish"?  YES!

Supposed to be an ancient breed of goldfish that has gone out of favor.  I've always wanted one of those . . .

Very cute!!!

What a sweatheart! :heart

Wow she is adoable and so tiny! She looks to do very well without her tail

Look at her go, she can really get around fine!

"Meteor goldfish"?  YES!

Supposed to be an ancient breed of goldfish that has gone out of favor.  I've always wanted one of those . . .

Tailless gf? :teehee

You know a comprehensive list of Goldfish types with pictures would be amazing!

"Meteor goldfish"?  YES!

Never heard of a meteor goldfish :).  I looked it up on the internet and you're right...there was a meteor goldfish.  It seems it was a fancy goldfish...mine was from single tail stock so I'm not sure she still fits the description.  Very interesting information though :).

Thanks everyone for your comments :).  I wasn't sure she would make it without getting eaten in the big pond.  But as small as she is...they do recognize her as family :).  I've seen some of the larger adults swim up to her quickly when she wiggles by...and then when they get close, they swim away from her as they recognize she is a goldfish and not a meal.  She really is doing great...I am surprised how agile she is with no tail fin.  She can swim up and down in the water column and can turn and swim very quickly.  Her other fins have gotten quite long and I think that helps her move well.

Aww, little cutie! She does very well without her tail. :)

Wow!  She does so well without her tail!  I love stories like this, where humans give their animal babies a chance to overcome their limitations (why should we stop them if they're not stopping themselves?!).  I know this one has a special place in your heart :)  I hope whatever was troubling her before is all better now! 

She is a cutie, I dont think I could have culled her either.... just full of energy and her eyes are so cute too :)