Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Fanatic

Huge algae bloom?

Hey folks,

Not sure if this is the right section to post in, but my tank is neon green right now. Like I can't see my fish, and I can see clouds of algae moving in the water currents. I don't know what to do, since doing a regular water change didn't solve the problem (comes back in full force a day or two after the clean). 

I'm not 100% sure of the cause, but I think the sunrise shines through our glass doors at just the right angle and hits the tank, providing lots of energy for primary producers (algae). I just moved in September, and the sun wasn't shining right in like that in the fall and winter, but now that spring time is here, the sun is in just the right spot in the morning. Anyway, regardless of the cause, I need to fix this!

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for getting rid of all this green algae? The tank looks like a disaster, even though I keep it nice and clean on a regular basis. Help!  :yikes

Seems to me like it probably is the sun! Best thing to do, while this may seem like common sense and practical, is to cut off the source. My tank is near a window and I live in sunny Atlanta. I keep the window shaded with dark brown blinds and also a dark brown curtain when there's a lot of sun out. When its not too sunny, I can open them a tad :)

Cleaning the algae isn't too difficult, but I heard that Seachem Flourish Excel can greatly help an algae issue.

Let's get some more information.  While algae require light, they don't require much light.  Many people have brightly lit aquariums and don't have green water, so clearly other things matter.  Has anything changed besides the sunlight?  

I just grabbed the D/D form and kept the info related to your water.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out  

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Water temperature?
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
    • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 

Thanks for the replies :) Unfortunately, my test kit has expired and I haven't picked up a new one yet, so I can't get the water params. Nothing seems to have changed in the tank except for the algae. 

Also, not sure if this is related in any way, but I started to notice this problem a little while after I had fed my guys some frozen spirulina brine shrimp. Do you think this might have anything to do with the spirulina in that food?

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Water temperature? - Room temperature, ~20 degrees C
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? -  38 gallons, running for maybe 7 years or so (aside from when I had to move, but I kept all the filter media in tank water and brought a little of the water with me as well, so I didn't lose all my beneficial bacteria!)
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Aquaclear 50 and Whisper EX45
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? - Usually every two weeks, and about 40-50 %
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - maybe 6 days ago, and I did about 60% to try to deal with some of this algae
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 2, one is about 7 inches from nose to tip of tail, and the other one is pretty little, maybe 3 inches in length
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - Omega One sinking pellets, with occasional treats (frozen bring shrimp, bloodworms, etc.)

I should also make mention, my fish have been in breeding mode lately. Gill (my large ryukin) has laid eggs numerous times. She laid them maybe 3 or 4 separate times within a week, and then a couple weeks went by with no eggs, and then one more bout of egg laying about a week ago. Fish (the little fantail) was super aggressive towards Gill before and during this time, but now he's relaxed and their behaviour seems back to normal. 

Thanks for the replies :) Unfortunately, my test kit has expired and I haven't picked up a new one yet, so I can't get the water params. Nothing seems to have changed in the tank except for the algae. 

Did you toss it?  I wouldn't mind readings from an expired kit.  I'd like to know Nitrate and pH.

Also, not sure if this is related in any way, but I started to notice this problem a little while after I had fed my guys some frozen spirulina brine shrimp. Do you think this might have anything to do with the spirulina in that food?

Good catch!  Spirulina can survive at lot and that might include freezing.  Those who grow spirulina for food filter it from the water.  It grows in long strands which can tangle making it possible to filter it out  through fine cloth.   The "clouds" you mentioned may be these tangles.  Try pouring your green water through some cloth to see if you can filter the "algae" out.

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Water temperature? - Room temperature, ~20 degrees C
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? -  38 gallons, running for maybe 7 years or so (aside from when I had to move, but I kept all the filter media in tank water and brought a little of the water with me as well, so I didn't lose all my beneficial bacteria!)
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Aquaclear 50 and Whisper EX45
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? - Usually every two weeks, and about 40-50 %
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - maybe 6 days ago, and I did about 60% to try to deal with some of this algae

Partial water changes refresh the water for algae and stimulate growth.  If you want to clear the water with water changes, you need to do a series of very large changes multiple times a week.  

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 2, one is about 7 inches from nose to tip of tail, and the other one is pretty little, maybe 3 inches in length

You have a big fish in there.  Depending on how much of that 7 inches is tail, you may have a very big fish and big fish produce lots of algae food.  I think you should consider changing the water weekly and probably do more like 75% changes.  

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - Omega One sinking pellets, with occasional treats (frozen bring shrimp, bloodworms, etc.)

I should also make mention, my fish have been in breeding mode lately. Gill (my large ryukin) has laid eggs numerous times. She laid them maybe 3 or 4 separate times within a week, and then a couple weeks went by with no eggs, and then one more bout of egg laying about a week ago. Fish (the little fantail) was super aggressive towards Gill before and during this time, but now he's relaxed and their behaviour seems back to normal. 

That adds a lot of nutrients to the water.

I've got a lot of ideas of how to handle this,  but it's past my bedtime.  Try filtering the water through cloth and let me know if that catches the algae.

Thanks so much! I've actually got an exam for school today, so I'll be super busy, but I'll try to pour some water through a cloth as soon as I can. I'd really be interested to see if that catches some of it! 

Gill is pretty big, but I'd say almost half her tail (she has an amazing tail!). 

I'll start doing some big, more frequent water changes until I get this sorted out!

This is what I would do... Test the tap and tank pH. If they match closely and you can match temp closely, do a 90% water change. Add air if you don't have it already. Increase biomedia if possible. As Sharon noted I would use the expired test kit to test for everything... Ammonia, nitrite,nitrate etc. I don't put much stock in expiration dates. Unless it's on dairy or unfrozen meat lol.

Edited by DieselPlower

Sure, will do as soon as I get a chance! So probably by tomorrow evening :) 

I've got air in the tank already, biomedia in both filters. 

I'll get back to you guys when I do the tests!

Sure, will do as soon as I get a chance! So probably by tomorrow evening :) 

I've got air in the tank already, biomedia in both filters. 

I'll get back to you guys when I do the tests!

Gotcha sounds like you are already set up nicely.