Megg

120 gallon stocking

25 posts in this topic

I'm getting a 120 gallon with a sump soon, and I'm trying to figure out what to stock it with once it's cycled. I've read differing info, but I've gathered I could have 6-8 goldies as long as I have enough filtration and do plenty of water changes.

How many would you suggest in a 120? I believe the dimensions are about 48x24x25 inches. I'd rather under stock than overstock.

I was thinking 1 black moor, 2-3 pearlscale, and 2-4 ranchu.

That's a safe amount for a comfortable, stable tank. Some of us do stock heavier, some lighter, but capping it at 8 as an upper limit max until you have more experience and can make a more informed stocking decision based on your own goals and abilities as a fish keeper is a good way to go.

Some permanently stock more lightly, with 40-50 gallons per fish. I stock much heavier, with 8-10 gallons per fish and filtration and water changes that are quadruple what I technically need to maintain healthy, vigorous stock. Neither is wrong but my way takes a lot more care and caution, as well as knowing exactly what you're doing with food and water chemistry. It's high maintenance. Less fish per gallon means easier care and looser safety margins. That is why Kokos recommends stocking in the 20-ish gallon per fish area, to make things as easy as possible in terms of successful goldfish keeping and enjoyment of the hobby.

Beyond those recommendations it's really up to you, but we came at that with experience and time and it wasn't arbitrary. Depart from them at your own risk :)

That's a safe amount for a comfortable, stable tank. Some of us do stock heavier, some lighter, but capping it at 8 as an upper limit max until you have more experience and can make a more informed stocking decision based on your own goals and abilities as a fish keeper is a good way to go.

Some permanently stock more lightly, with 40-50 gallons per fish. I stock much heavier, with 8-10 gallons per fish and filtration and water changes that are quadruple what I technically need to maintain healthy, vigorous stock. Neither is wrong but my way takes a lot more care and caution, as well as knowing exactly what you're doing with food and water chemistry. It's high maintenance. Less fish per gallon means easier care and looser safety margins. That is why Kokos recommends stocking in the 20-ish gallon per fish area, to make things as easy as possible in terms of successful goldfish keeping and enjoyment of the hobby.

Beyond those recommendations it's really up to you, but we came at that with experience and time and it wasn't arbitrary. Depart from them at your own risk :)

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know! I was also curious if different types of fancies do well together. I've heard different things about this. Some say it's fine, and others say different types shouldn't be mixed.

Some of the eye types can have a hard time finding food but I have them all mixed. Key is just making sure they get their share of food and hand feeding can help with that. But I have celestials, bubble eyes, tosakin, oranda, ranchu, and fantails all in together. No issues.

Some of the eye types can have a hard time finding food but I have them all mixed. Key is just making sure they get their share of food and hand feeding can help with that. But I have celestials, bubble eyes, tosakin, oranda, ranchu, and fantails all in together. No issues.

Great, thanks! Last question- do you have any recommendations for ordering fish online? The only reputable place I've found so far is dandy orandas. The only places we have nearby are petco and petsmart and they don't have ranchu or pearlscale.

Depends on what you want. I have recently ordered from private breeders like Jeff Hiller and Gary Hater and highly recommend them both. The former has a website with his stock for sale and I can affirm the quality, as well as his excellent shipping.

http://www.jeffhillerexoticgoldfish.com

For pearlscales and chus I would probably go with Rain Garden first, myself:

http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish.htm

And the black chus I just received from Gary are gorgeous. Everyone has their favorite breeders but I haven't been burned yet. I try to go for actual breeders and not importers but that's just my personal preference. Plenty of imported fish are lovely and in good shape.

Depends on what you want. I have recently ordered from private breeders like Jeff Hiller and Gary Hater and highly recommend them both. The former has a website with his stock for sale and I can affirm the quality, as well as his excellent shipping.

And the black chus I just received from Gary are gorgeous. Everyone has their favorite breeders but I haven't been burned yet. I try to go for actual breeders and not importers but that's just my personal preference. Plenty of imported fish are lovely and in good shape.

Thanks, this is exactly the info I needed! It will be awhile before the tank is setup and cycled but I'd like to have a plan before then ????

Thanks, this is exactly the info I needed! It will be awhile before the tank is setup and cycled but I'd like to have a plan before then ????

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  You will see we recommend 20 gallons per goldfish.  That will be 6 goldfish per 120 gallons.  Of course if you start with babies,  you can put more fish in the tank initially.  However in all that water they will grow really fast and large, so you will have a larger bioload than we recommend.  You can compensate for this by doing two (or more) 50% changes per week.  Do you want that extra labor and water bill?

You will always find goldfish that you really want.  I recommend starting with 3 or 4 really nice fish so that when you find one you simply have to have, you have room.

Edited by shakaho

I strongly recommend buying from a breeder.  A breeder from Kansas posts under the name "Amy S" on the Site for Goldfish Keepers.  She has fish currently available.  

I strongly agree to Sharon's comment -- you will always end up finding another fish later on that you simply "cannot live without."  Usually once or twice a year I see a fish that it's almost physically impossible for me to leave the store without buying.

I can almost guarantee that over the course of the next year you will be checking online goldfish sale sights weekly, and taking the longer way home from work just so you can take a peek at your local pet store's goldfish selection. :)  If you start with 3-4 fish, you will have the room to add new ones :)

Good luck!

Stock slow.  This way you can find the amount that works for you.  I have 8 but I have been keeping goldfish a long long time.  This works for me. It may not work for you.  Also some of the fish you named can get really large. It is not uncommon for a pearl-scale to be the size of a baseball.  

I no longer buy fish online. None live very long.

I'm leery of buying fish online, too. It just seems so precarious. I recently got a new fish and I traveled QUITE FAR to pick him up in person and I was still concerned about him sloshing around etc.

My first two fish were from Walmart, but for the most part this isn't a great place to buy fish. My largest fish has a horrible tumor on her head that is probably genetic, but my smaller one seems perfectly fine.

They're both still alive and doing pretty well, though considering all the mistakes I initially made. My most recent fish is from a local small time breeder. He's not like a mega fancy fish, but he's got pretty fins and colors so I'm hopeful that he will stay healthy and whatnot.

Try and find a local breeder first, and if not - honestly I'd probably head to PetSmart and pick the healthiest fish I saw. I'm really not quite into getting fish shipped. Its also extremely expensive in comparison as you have to pay for overnight shipping PLUS the cost of the fish.

I have bought from both Jeff Hiller and Rain Garden and have been pleased with the fish I have received. Another good source if you are looking for ranchus is East Coast Ranchu on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastRanchu/

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish. You will see we recommend 20 gallons per goldfish. That will be 6 goldfish per 120 gallons. Of course if you start with babies, you can put more fish in the tank initially. However in all that water they will grow really fast and large, so you will have a larger bioload than we recommend. You can compensate for this by doing two (or more) 50% changes per week. Do you want that extra labor and water bill?

You will always find goldfish that you really want. I recommend starting with 3 or 4 really nice fish so that when you find one you simply have to have, you have room.

Yes, I did find this and read it! Thank you!

I'm leery of buying fish online, too. It just seems so precarious. I recently got a new fish and I traveled QUITE FAR to pick him up in person and I was still concerned about him sloshing around etc.

My first two fish were from Walmart, but for the most part this isn't a great place to buy fish. My largest fish has a horrible tumor on her head that is probably genetic, but my smaller one seems perfectly fine.

They're both still alive and doing pretty well, though considering all the mistakes I initially made. My most recent fish is from a local small time breeder. He's not like a mega fancy fish, but he's got pretty fins and colors so I'm hopeful that he will stay healthy and whatnot.

Try and find a local breeder first, and if not - honestly I'd probably head to PetSmart and pick the healthiest fish I saw. I'm really not quite into getting fish shipped. Its also extremely expensive in comparison as you have to pay for overnight shipping PLUS the cost of the fish.

I will try to find a breeder. My petsmart and petco don't actually carry ranchu or pearlscale and I'm fairly set on them.

Goody - fish from breeders are usually healthier anyway. I keep Ryukins and its pretty hard to find good breeders of them. Even most breeders I see around here mostly have Ranchu. PetSmart etc. tend to have Ryukins though because nobody wants them :(

Goody - fish from breeders are usually healthier anyway. I keep Ryukins and its pretty hard to find good breeders of them. Even most breeders I see around here mostly have Ranchu. PetSmart etc. tend to have Ryukins though because nobody wants them :(

I actually think Ryukins are very pretty, I've just fallen in love with the ranchu! I really like the black and "panda" ones, but I've heard they'll end up changing colors pretty quickly. Is this true?

Black doesn't tend to hold well - but you never know! When I see show winning Oranda fish on YouTube, they are often black because its so rare that a fish holds black like that. I like cute little Ranchu, too. The puffy faces and the lack of a dorsal fin makes them such cuties. I've seen a few Ranchu that held the black and white - its VERY pretty!

Black doesn't tend to hold well - but you never know! When I see show winning Oranda fish on YouTube, they are often black because its so rare that a fish holds black like that. I like cute little Ranchu, too. The puffy faces and the lack of a dorsal fin makes them such cuties. I've seen a few Ranchu that held the black and white - its VERY pretty!

Yes, they're adorable! I'd be happy even if the black faded.

From what I've seen - MOST panda Ranchu end up looking like the one seen here, which is a tri colored. Still MEGAAA pretty though.

Are you doing a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle? If fish in, start with 2 fish. It will be easier. I don't know your fish keeping experience so I'm just throwing that out there. I don't suggest loading the tank up with near its max load right away.

Are you doing a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle? If fish in, start with 2 fish. It will be easier. I don't know your fish keeping experience so I'm just throwing that out there. I don't suggest loading the tank up with near its max load right away.

I'm planning to do a fishless cycle, and then add fish in pairs so I don't overload the BB right away.

Excellent

I can highly recommend buying ranchus from EastCoastRanchu. I haven't bought any from her, but just seeing the fish and the amount of work she puts into the fish makes me convinced that she knows what she is doing. Plus I follow a fair few on Instagram with "grown" ECR babies and they are just adorable! She breeds many types of ranchus with my favorite being the American Blue Ranchu :)

Dandy Orandas has very pretty fish! Very good quality