FishyMandy

Red/Split Bellies, Dying Fry

34 posts in this topic

Is normal for the meth blue to turn their "nose flaps" blue isn't it? I know it stains everything lol

I've lost one since starting the meth blue...I can still see a little bit of fungus when I scoop them out. Is incredibly hard to see them in the tubs with how blue the water is though lol. But the majority of them are clear of fungus and looking good again.

diaY0PP.jpg

PWjvG6e.jpg

HkhPI0x.jpg

Meth blue stat! That's going to inhibit the fungus with the least side effects. Swab it on any active fungus and then just leave it in the water with the lights off. Keep it as a constant bath until they're older and immune systems are stronger.

If that isn't doing it and you're not going to breed them, API Fungus Cure is acriflavine based and will work wonders.

How long would you recommend keeping them in the meth blue for?

Its hard to keep a good eye on them since the blue is so dark in the tubs I can barely seem them until I scoop them out.

I've lost 2 since starting the meth blue

I can still see a little bit of fungus on them.

I tried to find the fungus cure but my LFS didn't have it and now with the long weekend it wont be until Tuesday that other places are open to check

jQtBaNA.jpg

I must admit I'm very frustrated. I tried so hard with this lot of fry to do everything better since I felt my last lot didn't grow very big..they are still only a couple of inches long at over  a year old. So I did more frequent WCs...gave them much more space...was so super strict about keeping up with things and I've had alll these problems that I didn't have at all last time :( Very frustrating

Edited by FishyMandy

The meth blue won't hurt a thing, keep it in until they seem robust and healthy with more matured bodies - at least a few weeks. Remember to keep the tubs out of daylight and overhead bulbs as it can and does break down with UV exposure.

Edited by Arctic Mama

For the ones with active fungus patches please swab the trouble spots with full strength methylene blue before returning them to the water bath. That will help kill the saprolegnia at the attachment site.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks Will Do. The tubs are in the darkest part of the house and get barely any light. I pretty much only see the fry when I scoop them out for WCs/photos otherwise its just little shadows

Hi Mandy, perhaps I can help you with some suggestions here. I did encountered these problems before. In fact it's a very common one when comes to breeding. You have to get it right from the egg stage otherwise you will go round robin massive with fry deaths.

Current treatment using Methylene Blue is effective against fungus but I'm afraid you may also have parasites contamination in your sponges too. You should l consider the following:

1) Remove all sponges at this stage and reintroduce later as your fry get bigger and more resilient to infections.

2) Change medicine to Multi Cure from Australian made Blue Planet. It has methylene Blue, Malachite Green and Aciflavine (common medicine for whitespots). This will give you a much wider coverage against parasites esp Flukes.

3)Normalyl we don't any filters when raising fry. Just an airstone will suffice. We rely on 100% w/cs every 3-4 days and scrub down and to keep everything pristine. 100% w/c daily can be stressful and can do more harm than good.

4) Splitting and red stomach is due to weakening tissues when they are sick and overeating (fry will eat like no tomorrow even they are sick)

5) Also to remove all fungus or unhealthy ones immediately and qt and treat separately. The chances are they may not pull through.

6) Another alternative method is to combine Prazi, Metronidazole and 0.2% salt  and treat for at least a week. (my choice is Multi Cure or any medications that consist of the three ingredients)

Cheers :hi

they have had two weeks of Metro and 4 rounds of Prazi.

I currently can not see any visible fungus on them.

I have sponge filters in and was going to cycle them but washed them in hot water and rinsed them a lot when they started getting sick and have been rinsing them since. 

I do 100% WC every 2 days currently. 

With my last lot of fry I had a lot more in a smaller area didn't prazi them and did a lot less WCs...they ended up very small and have never grown past about 2 inches and the are all comets.

This lot seem to be growing better but have had a lot more health issues. 

I wanted to use whatever would be gentler on them as far as medicines go

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but I was curious what (if anything) ended up working to treat the red/split bellies.

I currently have a batch of 2 week old fry and they're all developing red bellies. No one has died yet, but it has me concerned...

1 hour ago, Rosencrantz32 said:

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but I was curious what (if anything) ended up working to treat the red/split bellies.

I currently have a batch of 2 week old fry and they're all developing red bellies. No one has died yet, but it has me concerned...

Hi, The Metronidazole worked on the fry for the red bellies and swelling. Also reducing feeding slightly.

However I feel I should say I think these fry were unhealthy from the start, they had all died by about 6 months old. Some from the red bellies, some from fungus, towards the end they just started dying with no external signs of illness, and the very last couple got bloated and pineconed. I also had A LOT of swim bladder problems with this lot of fry unfortunately