FishyMandy

Red/Split Bellies, Dying Fry

34 posts in this topic

I'm posting about my fry so there are three tanks/tubs going. I included the information for all three. The large majority of deaths have been in Tank 2. I do however use the same equipment on all three tanks when doing WCs.

For about the past 2 Weeks I've been finding on average about 5 dead each day. Yesterday I found 15. Today I found 3.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • All Three Less than 0.25 (looks like 0 but I think there is a hint of green)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 
    • Tanks 1+3: 0
      Tank 2: 0.25
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • All three 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) All Three 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • API Drops
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Tank 1: 15 Gallons - 4 weeks
      • Tank 2: 20 Gallons - 3 weeks
      • Tank 3: 20 Gallons - 2 Weeks
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 
      • Each tank has its own sponge filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
      • I aim for 98% Every day (Just leaving just enough so that I don't have to remove the fry. On all three tubs. If I miss a day I add Prime
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • Yesterday 99% on all three tanks
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • 15g - About 10 - Less than an inch total length
  • 20g - About 20 - Less than an inch total length
  • 20g(2) About 20 - Less than an inch total length
  •  
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? 
  • Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • Baby Brine Shrimp Twice a day, Hikari First Bites once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • Nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • Prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • They have had two rounds of Prazi and starting a third one today
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • Very red bellies that look swollen on some of them. I've had a lot of deaths lately and almost all the ones that have died have been from Tank 2. Their bellies go very red and I noticed on the dead ones I pulled out that it looks like their stomachs have split open.

Behaviour seems normal..they go for their food, chase down the brine shrimp, fight against been caught etc Act like feisty healthy babies. 

Here are some microscope pictures. I couldn't see any wriggling or movement.  I'm linking to them incase some dont want to see 

http://i.imgur.com/YYYKgBf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5Zgakzf.jpg

I'm thinking that it seems bacterial with the bright redness and so many deaths. I have on hand Prazi, Metronidazole, Oxytetracycline, Tri-Sulfa

Are these safe to use with goldie fry and would I use a smaller dose than for my adults? In the past I've used Metro+Oxy for things that seem bacterial and it works well but I don't want to overdose them since they are so young

Edited by FishyMandy

I hope the others will be ok!

Poor guys. Hope they will be okay.

I have no idea of how to diagnose tiny fry.  How old are they?  I've always kept mine in shallow tubs/bowls and scooped them out into tubs of fresh water every other day.  Since you have ammonia readings with 99% daily water changes, I suspect overfeeding may be part of your problem.

They are almost 5 weeks old

Hope they feel better.

Thanks Dawn :(

I was actually worried I was underfeeding because I thought they seemed small for 5 weeks. I also am unsure of how accurate my test results are. I measured 5 mls but I don't have the actual test tubes at the moment. I'm getting new ones tomorrow

Really unclear photo...sorry..but this is a live one and I noticed in the photo it looked like his belly was strange

lw4Eem9.jpg

Oh yeah like a hernia

I found 5 fry dead today...1 out of Tank 1 and 4 out of tank 2. Tank 2 deaths had the red bellies. Tank 1 Didnt

I found one dead yesterday from tank 3, no red belly either.

I really want at least a few of these babies to survive :(:cry

I have 32 left...this time last week I had 110. I culled 25. That makes 53 in a week that have died without my help...

Edited by FishyMandy

2 more dead today...1 from Tank 1 and one from Tank 3.

1 Had red Belly and one didn't

At the rate I've been losing them I decided that it was likely they would all end up dead if I did NOTHING so I decided to just try treating with Metronidazle and Oxy (which is what I've used for infections in my adult fish in the past) but dosed at the lower rate (I'd normally use 400mg per 10g of metro so I used 200mg per 10g for them)

I'll update with any changes...good or bad

Sorry. Pulling for the little guys.

Thanks I'd really like at least some to survive...there is a couple I've already become pretty attached too..Chopper..Raindrop..Firefly 1 and Firefly 2 (I actually have trouble telling those two apart so they are both firefly for now LOL)

:thumbup2:

Goodluck!

Edited by Speckles

Thanks Speckles xx

Hi guys so I've only had one death since starting the Metro and that was the day after I first dosed. They are responding well and seem more active and those that were alive with red bellies have improved, there is very little redness on them now. They are eating well and seem a lot brighter in general :)

And my favourites are still alive, though I'm not sure how Chopper is going to go..his tail his deformed and I probably should have culled him in the first cull but he kind of stole my heart. I will see how he goes but if he starts struggling more I wont let him suffer.

I'm impressed.  Great job!

Thanks Sharon!

:hug

The fry have 4 more days left of metro..

The redness is gone...

but now I have another problem! They are getting fungus on them..There is about 3 so far I can see with the fungus. I've had them in 0.1% Salt but it's been getting worse so I've upped it to 0.2%  It is almost covering one of the smaller ones and seems to be mostly coming from their gills?

They were in 0.1% salt for 2 days and the fungus got worse.

Can I go to 0.3% with the fry?

If the fungus keeps getting worse can I use Meth Blue? I don't really want to use that though.

Can I treat with Prazi while treating with Metro or should I wait until after the Metro is done?

H8vlmMo.jpg

P6LC84l.jpg

Cvu1WVu.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Meth blue stat! That's going to inhibit the fungus with the least side effects. Swab it on any active fungus and then just leave it in the water with the lights off. Keep it as a constant bath until they're older and immune systems are stronger.

If that isn't doing it and you're not going to breed them, API Fungus Cure is acriflavine based and will work wonders.

Meth blue stat! That's going to inhibit the fungus with the least side effects. Swab it on any active fungus and then just leave it in the water with the lights off. Keep it as a constant bath until they're older and immune systems are stronger.

If that isn't doing it and you're not going to breed them, API Fungus Cure is acriflavine based and will work wonders.

Thanks will get on it xx

I'm going to get the fungus cure tomorrow s I have it if I need it.

I can't remember seeing the API one around here so if they don't have it will the Blue Planet one work? It has

Contains: 2.00mg/mL Acriflavine, 0.40mg/mL Malachite Green.

Edited by FishyMandy

Yes, that will work. But I would try the meth blue first given the much lower toxicity.

Definitely. Just want to have both on hand in case

Okay they are in meth Blue now. I hope that does the job because I couldn't find either the API or the Blue Planet Fungal Cure

How long can I leave them in the Meth Blue for? They are almost 7 weeks old at the moment

Edited by FishyMandy