Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GothSpice

New to Koko's, New to fish

Hello everyone! My name's Goth Spice, and I am BRAND NEW to fish keeping, and rather in over my head!

I've had two tiny baby goldfish (roughly pinkie-sized) for about two weeks now, and in an effort to give them the best care possible, I stumbled across this amazing site. I am SO thankful I did! 

A little background: My friend & her boyfriend keep tropical freshwater fish, and had an extra 5.5 gallon tank. I thought, "What the hey? I'll make an aquatic zen garden!" and cheerfully brought it home. Cut to the next week, when my friend asks me if I want to come with her to buy some feeder fish for her Oscars. Like a fool, I said yes, and 45 minutes later we were driving home with 20+ small fry in a plastic bag on my lap. Well, I'm a sucker & a bleeding heart, and fell madly in love with two of the poor little guys (a white one with red on top, and a tortoiseshell). I believe they're comets. Well all they way home I whispered "Oh you poor little things", "Oh you sweet little babies", and by the time we got to her place she had officially decreed them mine. I am SO GLAD I kept them! The rest were subjected to a terrible fate :( I am NEVER, EVER watching her feed her oscars again! *shudder*

Well I had some pebbles and rocks and things around the house, and my friend gave me some water conditioner, so I set it up pretty dang sparse the first night. The next day, I went to the local Petco and asked about goldfish requirements. "Do they need a heater? Do they need a filter? How big will they get?" They told me that you can basically stick 'em in a bucket full of toilet water, and they'd be peachy keen. Because goldfish are stupid, you see. Oh no, they don't get big. They don't live long.

.........Something about this struck me as fishy (pun intended), so I started researching online.

Holy carp! These little guys are amazing! And they need way, WAY more TLC that that pimply-faced nitwit said they would! So I got them a filter, a couple of plants, and some real gravel, and today I used the last of my paycheck to get a 10 gallon tank, more gravel, more plants, and some organic potting soil. I'm going to set up a dirted, planted tank for them, and once it's cycled switch them over to that. (That's another thing, nobody told me anything about cycling, either.) My long-term plans are to scrim and save all Spring, and hopefully by mid-to-end of Summer I'll have enough money to get them a 40 gallon tank with all the bells & whistles.

So I just want to thank everyone here at Koko's for all of the free and truly helpful advice! I'm a complete novice to fish care, but with y'all's help I'm sure I'll have happy, healthy goldies! :)

You're one of us!  Welcome  :hi   Glad you did the extra research to make your new pets happy, that is what this site is all about.  

- Tokyo Spice 

You've come to the right place and are well on our way to sharing our addiction, methinks ;)

We'd love to see your temporary setup - pictures are ALWAYS welcomed here at Kokos.

Come on in and enjoy the party :rofl2

Welcome! I had to save up to get my upgraded 55 gallon tank but FINALLY got it. Looking forward to seeing your fishies :)

Welcome to Kokos! I'm glad you found us and that you could rescue those two! I hate the thought of live goldies been fed to other fish :(

Edited by FishyMandy

:hi

and

:welcome

Years ago I had Oscars too, I did feed them goldfish like that... Till I fell in love with a white one and the Oscars didnt touch him...So there started a long road of Goldfish for me.... I could never do that again.. I love all fish but to feed them fish is wrong... Goldfish are just such sweet fish :)

Welcome!  Start by reading our API Freshwater Master Kit.  The Prime can protect your fish from small amounts of ammonia and nitrite while you wait for your tank to cycle.  The API test kit offers the most economical way to test your water.  Both should be available in Petco, but you might save money by buying them on line.

You will find lots of information in our planted tank forum for setting up the 10 gallon. 

Watch for the Petco dollar per gallon sales when you have saved the money for your 40 gallon.  They have these ~ 4 times a year.  A 40B tank for $40 is a terrific buy!

Hi & welcome! You've gotten some great advice here - & we'd love to see pics of your new fishies :) Yeah, we did the "get the free goldfish a little tank, that's what they need, right?" thing when we got started - then we found out how large & long lived they are.... 3 years later, our 2 "free" fish & the 2 from the feeder tank are living in a planted 75 gallon. My avatar fish is one of those former feeders. :)

Welcome to Kokos.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and good advice! I'm gonna try to upload pictures, we'll see how that goes :P

Okay! Here's my tiny 5.5 gallon tank, set on my brother's old headboard in his old room.

image_zpsyx2zpadc.jpeg

image_zpsazqstc2j.jpeg

This is Asimov, named after one of my favorite authors, Isaac Asimov...

image_zpsxovjjhgz.jpeg

And this is Kritlaq, named after an evil shaman from the book series Alaana's Way by Ken Altabef. It's a strange name, but for some reason it just seemed like the right one lol! Though I have to say, little Kritlaq here is about as easy-going as they come!

image_zpsrsdqhaaz.jpeg

This is the beginnings of my dirted planted tank...

image_zpsnobridms.jpeg

Aaaaaand this is what happens to such a tank if you pour the water in too fast XD

image_zps2fcbozqi.jpeg

Callie, the youngest of our cats, is just THRILLED over the fish! She spends hours watching them every day. Doesn't bother them, just watches... You can see her in the picture above, just fascinated with the tank filling process.

Okay! That's enough for tonight! I'll try and keep y'all updated on the process as in happens in the coming days :)

Aw they are so cute!

They are so cute, and so lucky to have come home with you!  

Keep a close eye on Asimov.  He looks like his fins are clamped in the picture.  Although he could had just been doing that in the moment, if he seems to be doing that frequently, it could be an indication that he isn't feeling too well.  If that is the case, you can make a separate thread about it and the amazing folks here can help you if he needs any treatment.

I don't mean to scare you, it's just that I know these fish are very dear to you, and I think it would be a good idea to keep an eye on him.

Oh my goodness! Yes, he does that all the time! I'll go start a new thread about that immediately. Thank you so much for telling me!

Such clean water. You're doing fine! :thumbup2:

I just want to take a moment to thank Bmitchell486 for the timely warning about Asimov's health. He was in fact, quite ill, and only got sicker. Thankfully, I heeded your warning, and was able to get great advice over on the D&D forum. He's not at 100% yet, but he's well on his way! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Welcome to the forum. Before ya know it you'll be able to tell your friend why feeding Oscars store bought goldfish is a bad idea.

Welcome to the forum. Before ya know it you'll be able to tell your friend why feeding Oscars store bought goldfish is a bad idea.

May I ask why? I assume something to do with parasites, and not just us all screaming "nooooo!" XD

May I ask why? I assume something to do with parasites, and not just us all screaming "nooooo!" XD

Many reasons. Here's a link.http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/oscars/170-oscar-fish-diet-feeding-an-oscar-fish.html

Many reasons. Here's a link.http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/oscars/170-oscar-fish-diet-feeding-an-oscar-fish.html

Oh my gosh! Who knew? I'll tell her right away, thank you!

Wow great read, thanks diesel for the share. If I don't already obsess about my goldfishes diet... I make two differ gel foods, Hatori pellets, frozen bloodworms, live red wigglers, hatch baby brine shrimp.

If I had an Oscar tank I would be raising platties or guppies for him to eat, cause quarantining feeder fish would be more of a hassle that raising my own. Buying crickets and if one of them got loose in my apartment and started making noise... On top of pellets and gel.

I'll just stick to fancy goldfish....

Nice tank!!!

Hello!

Haha hello to you too!