Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
xStatic

Carrying 60 gallon tank + stand down stairs

18 posts in this topic

I got a 60 gallon tank to replace my 29 gallon! Yay :) I bought it on craigslist and had it delivered and now it's sitting in my garage. The problem is that the tank is really heavy and I need to move it downstairs into the basement. It cannot go upstairs for several reasons. I feel confident that I can carry it with the help of one other person but my girlfriend is really not okay with the idea of carrying it down the stairs because we have a pretty steep stairway and she thinks it's going to fall on someone/break/shatter and cut someone up.

Has anyone moved a large tank down steep narrow stairs and have any tips or suggestions for me? I already spent a long time removing all of the gravel from the tank so it's 100% empty right now. I'm also a little worried about getting the big stand down the stairs. The stand is just a typical black wood stand like you get from petco. 

Never moved a tank down stairs, but certainly large pieces of furniture and a very heavy barbeque. I'd try picking it up first and making sure you and your chosen person can move it comfortably without stairs. After that, then I'd move onto the stairs. Go slowly and everything should be fine. :)

No matter how steep your stairs, I doubt they'll be as bad as the ones in my cousin's first flat. It was a very old building (1880s), and they were dangerous to walk up and down without carrying anything. We still managed to get a fridge in and out with a little bit of effort and much swearing. :rofl

Like Dan said, you should first try to move the tank around just to be sure. I don't see a problem doing stairs, as long as you're slow and steady. It's corners and angling and picking up/setting down that are the scariest, at least to me. :rofl

for what it's worth my husband and I got our 125 gallon tank into our apartment by ourselves. That involved going up about 5 steps and a sharp corner. Nothing downstairs so maybe that's not relevant haha but hopefully enough to make everyone feel comfortable moving your new tank? Good luck and congrats! :nana

I have carried a 75 and a 90 up and down stairs by myself so moving aquariums is not new to me. One thing you could try is not even lifting it, but instead sliding it down the stairs gently. If the stairs arent carpeted, u could set it on a piece of cardboard if that made you feel better about it.

Too bad DP doesn't live closer!

Haha I did check to see where she is located... Just a bit too far :)

I have carried a 75 and a 90 up and down stairs by myself so moving aquariums is not new to me. One thing you could try is not even lifting it, but instead sliding it down the stairs gently. If the stairs arent carpeted, u could set it on a piece of cardboard if that made you feel better about it.

this is how we moved a 120g. put a nice thick layer of styrofoam on a strong blanket, placed the tank on the styrofoam and used the blanket to pull it to the stairway, then slowly pull it down the stairs whilst using body weight to stop if from speeding away. worked a treat.

I'm a big drink of water and have carried 55 gal by myself. As long as you have a sturdy guy around to carry most of the weight on the bottom going down the stairs. you should be able to help on the other end steering and being his eyes from the top.

You took the words out of my mouth..... :goodjob

Go slow, make sure the tank is empty, and lift by the corners of the tank if it's rectangular. If you have carpet stairs, you can always carefully slide it by putting furniture pads at the corners and carefully slide it down. 

Such great ideas! I love Koko's!

Thanks so much everyone! We do luckily have carpeted stairs so I think I will try using some cardboard to slide the tank down them. I was so excited to get a big new tank I never really thought about how difficult it might be to move something so big and fragile. But I'll get it figured out! 

I got my 55 gallon down a lady's concrete stairs with just me and her grandpa. I am larger and stronger so I took the back. Just have to go slowly and always let the person backing up set the pace. My brother and I brought it down the driveway the same way except he is larger and stronger so he took the backwards end. He brought the tank down our 4 stairs alone.

Put it on a blanket or cardboard like DP said. I have moved many tanks without lifting them at all. Use physics to your advantage. Lots of sliding and leveraging.

this surprisingly works, used it multiple times in carry heavy items/furnitures.

http://www.forearmforklift.com/

Used those to.  They work great!

Great timing for this post!   I  finally bit the bullet and bought a 125 gallon glass tank from  Petsmart ($$ ! :yikes  :yikes )  and  was  dreading  trying to  carry it up 4 cement steps. 

Hopefully, dragging it up a wooden ramp with  heavy duty  moving  blankets will do the trick.  I haven't had fish in 10 years and fancy Goldfish will be a first for me.   Hope you folks don't mind the barrage  of questions.  Thanks for all the help you  guys provide on this wonderful board. 

Just to provide an update since I haven't been on this forum in a while. I was able to move the tank by placing it on a large flattened cardboard box as suggested. I also cut a couple holes in the cardboard and looped a rope through to make a cardboard sled thing and that worked really well. The stand was shockingly light and was easy to carry with the help of another person :)