Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Transporting a 55 gallon tank

So my dad is being weird about letting me use his truck because he can't find belts or something or whatnot. The only vehicle I have available is a Toyota Camry. I really want a 55 gallon and not a 40B even if I have to make room etc.

I see another nice offer on CL and I really don't think it will fit into our car - but I want to make sure. Does anybody with a kinda smallish car know if a tank that size will fit or not?

Measure the car. The tank is 4 feet long, 13 inches wide, and 21 inches tall.

Edited by DieselPlower

TD who has tinted more cars that I can count says he is pretty sure that it would fit. If not then you can lay down the passenger seat and lay it down that way. :)

There are multiple ways you can make a tank like that fit in a small car. Its quite skinney and short so even easier.

Back seat.

Open the trunk and put the back seats down.

Lay the front pass seat down and put it in the front like a human.

Slide the front seat forward and put it on an angle in the back seat.

There are multiple ways you can make a tank like that fit in a small car. Its quite skinney and short so even easier.

Back seat.

Those are good ways.... Just remember some cars like mine dont allow you to lay down the back seat. :(

I fit a 55 in my fiance's 98 Honda Accord, with some room to spare - although that's kind of a wider car :/ 

Oh - I haven't measured yet (I tend to measure wrong anyway which is why I asked) but the Camry is an old one. A 1999 model.

Oh - I haven't measured yet (I tend to measure wrong anyway which is why I asked) but the Camry is an old one. A 1999 model.

Well take a Tap thinging and measure from the inside door. Make sure you make the measurement from the big door handles in there as they stick out a little ... (found out the hard way once putting a tank in lol) ..

When I measured mine for my 50 gallon tank... I got inside closed the doors and measured from one door handle to the other.... :)

Simple hun :)

Thanks. Last time I measured I was way off somehow. Getting inside and doing it that way makes so much more sense. Thanks.

Thanks. Last time I measured I was way off somehow. Getting inside and doing it that way makes so much more sense. Thanks.

:thumbs:

Back seat.

I had to do that with my 4ft terrarium and it worked wonderfully :)

I measured how Koko said - it looks like it will fit! I told the seller and I shall see what happens :)

I measured how Koko said - it looks like it will fit! I told the seller and I shall see what happens :)

Good luck can't wait to see your fish in it :)

Thanks. Several sellers have backed out of sales and its difficult to get anything done like that. I hope I can get it.

Thanks. Several sellers have backed out of sales and its difficult to get anything done like that. I hope I can get it.

Fingers crossed for you :) 

Lady was very nice. Seals looked good, lights worked etc. A TAD dirty but no biggie. Got an extra filter as well. Very good price. Tank in car and headed home. So happy! I've been wanting this for so long. Gotta make room once home and set everything up. Looking forward to it. :)

Lady was very nice. Seals looked good, lights worked etc. A TAD dirty but no biggie. Got an extra filter as well. Very good price. Tank in car and headed home. So happy! I've been wanting this for so long. Gotta make room once home and set everything up. Looking forward to it. :)

Well done can't wait to see the finished thing! :D Pics or it didn't happen  :whistle

Well done can't wait to see the finished thing! :D Pics or it didn't happen  :whistle

That's the rule - pics or it didn't happen.

(Pics coming soon)

(Pics coming soon)

Haha you are learning fast :rofl

IMG_20160306_194706_zpsqm3aqxf3.jpg

Bad photo but here is the new 55 gallon. SO HAPPY!! Filled using the hose from outside through the window and can also be drained through the window. WC will actually be way easier now. Yay because I was probably going to die otherwise. Running two heaters, two Aqueon 55/75 filters, a sponge filter, and an airstone. Added my Java Fern and Water Sprite and a few modest things.

Added all old cycled media except one sponge which will stay with Slate. Dechlorinated, added some start up stuff in, buffered etc and as the hose water is FREEZING - will be ready for Rhonda very soon as its not warm enough yet. Slate of course can't enjoy it yet, but with luck she can soon!

(Pics coming soon)

:teehee:thumbup2:

Everything looks good this morning. Rhonda and snails headed into the tank very soon!

IMG_20160306_194706_zpsqm3aqxf3.jpg

Bad photo but here is the new 55 gallon. SO HAPPY!! Filled using the hose from outside through the window and can also be drained through the window. WC will actually be way easier now. Yay because I was probably going to die otherwise. Running two heaters, two Aqueon 55/75 filters, a sponge filter, and an airstone. Added my Java Fern and Water Sprite and a few modest things.

Added all old cycled media except one sponge which will stay with Slate. Dechlorinated, added some start up stuff in, buffered etc and as the hose water is FREEZING - will be ready for Rhonda very soon as its not warm enough yet. Slate of course can't enjoy it yet, but with luck she can soon!

It looks really good and rhonda will love it and I'm sure slate will when she can be moved :D

Thanks! Will be moving my introductory to my blog. Very happy so far. :)