Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shahbazin

pH Lower Than Usual in Tank vs Tap

I'm wondering what causes pH to be lower in the tank than in the tap? And if I should be concerned about this? For months, my 75. gal has run at a steady 8.0 pH (tap is 8.2), & then I tested it this week & got a reading of 7.8 pH in the tank (did it twice to be sure). Also, I just got the KH/GH test kit, & KH is also also lower in the tank than the tap - 107.4 (6 drops) tank, vs 125.3 (7 drops) tap. GH is 340.1 in both (19 drops).

Ammonia & nitrite are zero in the tank, nitrate was higher than usual (40, usually about 20-30).

Tap ammonia is 1.0, nitrite & nitrate 0. 

Tank temp is 72F, 4 goldfish (11-12 cm SL), heavily planted, AC 110 with filter floss pads replacing charcoal, Hydro sponge 5 PRO run by powerhead, small airstone (cleaned both filters recently, lots of squishing in tank water bucket, sponge last week, AC 110 the week before). Substrate is Nat'l Geo sand & gravel, mixed. Water tests all done with API kits.

High nitrate leads to a lower pH.  You need to change more water.

High nitrate leads to a lower pH.  You need to change more water.

Aha! I wondered if it was something straight forward like this - it certainly makes sense, since nitrate levels were up a bit. I'll need to modify my water change routine, then. Thanks!

What she said :)

Also carbon dioxide (from the natural process of your fish breathing in and out, and decaying plant matter), and tannins from driftwood will drop the ph.