Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

Soft belly..

I believe is not a sign of healthiness but..

what is the meaning of a (really) soft belly on a GF ?

Thx!

From what I read, softer bellies are normal in female fish. If the belly mushes in extremely easily - it might just be empty?

Is this a healthy fish or sick fish? Soft bellies are not a good sign, especially if you push it in softly and it wants to stay slightly deformed or is slow to spring back. Soft like a cheek or forearm flesh is fine. Soft like cottage cheese/porridge is bad. If the fish has no other physical symptoms than a slightly soft belly you're fine. It's not a primary symptom - it comes about as a result of internal infections and other symptoms like flashing, color blanching, lethargy, and refusing to eat would come first.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have had this (male) small ryukin/fantail mix for over a year.

He eats until he cannot move. (piggy lil' thing)

But he spends most of his life "full / belly up" or at the surface gulping for air.

No symptoms of illness besides the soft belly.. definitely softer that the rest

Even if I fast him, he still spends most of the day gulping for air

Edited by 210 Oranda

So is he floaty or just a pig? I wouldn't worry if it is the latter. I have plenty of surface gulpers - if he has been treated for flukes lately and his gills are a nice 'rare steak' red that fine.

On the other hand, If he is upside down, gulping, AND has a mushy belly I'd be recommending an antibiotic. If you think he needs treatment go ahead and start a new thread with a video of him and we will discuss it on the back end and see how the others feel about treatment, okay?

So is he floaty or just a pig? I wouldn't worry if it is the latter. I have plenty of surface gulpers - if he has been treated for flukes lately and his gills are a nice 'rare steak' red that fine.

On the other hand, If he is upside down, gulping, AND has a mushy belly I'd be recommending an antibiotic. If you think he needs treatment go ahead and start a new thread with a video of him and we will discuss it on the back end and see how the others feel about treatment, okay?

Thank you and sorry for the delay (working out of town)

Yes, it has been treated for flukes..  a year ago while QT and one round as preventative last this week

Perhaps this videos explain better..

Edited by 210 Oranda

Oh, poor guy. He's got some pretty serious floaty issues going on.

Go ahead and start a D&D with the full form, he doesn't look like like he is healthy to my eye and with that description of lean toward sick mushy belly, not soft generally.