Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Hidr

Enterducing Dixie

23 posts in this topic

My blue heeler puppy. Got her yesterday she had not had any accidents and has figured out the doggy door already.  Hope she well be a therapy dog. May have have to train her myself without a group.  A group would be better but I can take her to all sorts of places to get her use to people and other dogs.

No longer have an agility group here or I would do that too.

IMG_0919_zpsmmjm3ryt.jpg

IMG_0916_zpsvdvvdnwe.jpg

She is beautiful Angie :wub:  Best of luck with her.

I'm struggling to not correct your title's spelling. It's like a tick :rofl

She is a cutie! How do you have time for so many animals?l

Oh, what a little doll!  I love her coloring.  I wish you both well on the road to becoming a therapy dog team.

Oh she's gorgeous!!!! Heelers are such wonderful and intelligent dogs!

Oh what a cutie I doubt you would know if I took her... :lol:

Oh she is just gorgeous!!! i'm jealous :teehee

Best of luck with her! :heart

What a cute little girl. Therapy is very rewarding - I hope she enjoys learning it.

Oh sh is GORGEOUS. Such a cutie!

:heart  :wub::heart

Wow, very pretty puppy. I had to google the breed to see what others look like. I rarely have seen them before.

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Dixie is darling :heart

Oh I like her :heart

I'm struggling to not correct your title's spelling. It's like a tick :rofl

She is a cutie! How do you have time for so many animals?l

I know it is spelled wrong.  It is getting harder and harder for original titles. So I left it spelled wrong.

I only have 6 dogs two of which are old and do nothing but lay around. One is my husbands and then Ziva Kia and Dixie.  They are the youngest and take up most my time.  I also am unable to work.  

Oh what a cutie I doubt you would know if I took her... :lol:

I would know.  She is always under my feet.

Wow, very pretty puppy. I had to google the breed to see what others look like. I rarely have seen them before.

Yes they are hard to find. So don't see them often unless you go to to a dog show.

Edited by Hidr

I figured you did it on purpose - being a homeschooler has worsened my compulsive need to correct people's writing :rofl

SIX dogs?! Wow! I'm impressed at your dedication, it's time consuming and a labor of love to properly care for so many great animals and they're in great hands with you. Any new puppy pictures to add for us to ogle?

Cutest dog eva!

She's absolutely gorgeous! :D

Here she is with her toy/pillow/bed.  IMG_0924_zpssb2oiqmd.jpg

I found a place that will give the GCC (good canine citizenship) test.  But having problems with a place for group training.  We have JOTC(Jackson Obedience Training) but they are so unfriendly and some of the people are down right rude.  I can train her but a class would be good for her and keep my motivated.

I want to pick her up and put her in my lap but she well be to big for a lap dog so don't want to get that started.

Edited by Hidr

Some of the Petco's have the Unleashed training program, but they tend to be sub par and the trainers tend to be so/so. I believe in positive reinforcement (which they stand by) but it has to be done a certain way to get results from ALL dogs as very intelligent dogs will take advantage of it and they don't seem to realize that. I've seen some hideous results but some of the trainers are okay.

Needless to say you don't strike or hit dogs - but for some dogs... A firm NO and a look into the eyes is more useful than a "It's okay boy". Positive reinforcement leash training for example is done by holding a treat at the level you want the dog to walk at. I love how dogs trained like this walk the entire time focused upwards waiting for their treat, paying no attention to their surroundings and constantly tripping and getting tangled in the leash. Makes me giggle.

So far she is proving to be very bone headed and wont stop play biting.  And chewing everything. No mater how often I give her a stern no.  I can't do therapy with her is she wants to chew everyone. She has a surprise coming I am bone headed too and I will win. 

I use to do nursing home therapy with my chihuahuas when they were younger. I enjoyed it and the smiles were priceless. :D I remember one gentleman that always cried.  Cause my dog looked just like one he had. We always went to his room first. Oliver didn't even need a leach after a while he knew the route to visit everyone. Had one lady that on the days she knew we were coming would not let the nurse clean the breakfast crumbs off her bed so that Oliver could do it.  With chi's I didn't have to get any training for them.  Oliver did a couple tricks but with small dogs they nursing homes were ok with them.

I do nursing home pet therapy with reminiscence patients (dementia and Alzheimer's) and they absolutely enjoy him. He had a bad habit of jumping in laps of elderly in wheelchairs at first, but I quickly rid him of this by putting him into a sit first. The people would get excited and say HEYYY BOY!!! or something and he'd jump up. They'd always love it and embrace it - but it's naughty and potentially dangerous nonetheless.