Kokos Goldfish Forum
mjfromga

Pentagon Aquarium

I really like the way these look and it will fit into my small room way better than a huge 55 gallon. I see they only go up to 44 gallons which is fine for my two and one more perhaps. Does anybody like or own one of these? Are they okay for goldies?

They aren't ideal. Goldfish are more suited to longer, shallower tanks, as opposed to taller, narrower ones

What Lis said. They're ideal for freshwater angels but goldfish need horizontal swimming space and absolutely as much surface area for the water volume as you can get them. They're carp - rivers, streams, and lakes are what we want to replicate :)

Thanks - I had my eye on one for a really cheap price and its better than my 20 gallon which they are currently overstocked in. There's no point in getting it? I really want to upgrade but the less I spend - the better. I can wait until Petcos next sale - but it'll cost me a lot more for what I need and I'll have to make extra space by moving something out of my room entirely. I understand if its a no go though.

I'd wait for the Petco sale . . . hexagon tanks are not the best for GF as others have said.  

Hmm - they told her it was perfectly fine. The deal I was going to get was soooo good.

That thread is 7 years old. Over time our understanding of what is best changes. I agree a tall tank is not ideal and I have seen evidence of this multiple times. Can it be done? Probably. Is it ideal? No. I would say definitely no to a third fish.

Edited by DieselPlower

That thread is 7 years old. Over time our understanding of what is best changes. I agree a tall tank is not ideal and I have seen evidence of this multiple times. Can it be done? Probably. Is it ideal? No. I would say definitely no to a third fish.

:bingo:

I'm fine with not getting a third fish - with a 40B I wasn't going to get another fish anyway. Only if I ended up with a 55 gallon was I going to get another. I truly don't have space for one and stands are extremely expensive and I of course am not competent enough to build one. I just want to get my two fish out of their 20 gallon tank and into a nicer one.

I failed to realize all the proper expenses and I really have already spent more than I can afford. Not an excuse - but reality. The cheapest option is really what I am going for and this is way cheap and still twice the gallonage of their current tank. I realize it isn't the OPTIMAL tank for them - but its the most OPTIMAL for my budget at the price which is something I'm taking into account.

I love my fish dearly even though they're just from Walmart and even though I can't truly afford it - I'm trying to do right by them. Hopefully that is understandable. Thanks for everyone's input :)

If expense is an issue, add additional filters before buying a bigger tank. Our stocking recommendations are quite conservative to help people have the healthiest goldfish with the least fuss, but plenty of people (myself included) stock much more heavily with no issues. Water quality is king - I'd be adding a pond filter or internal sponge before I purchased another tank. It's peanuts for cost.

Another option is using big totes instead of tanks. Even kiddie pools work amazingly well. If space for the fish is the primary concern of can be addressed, but if you are only running one filter do consider adding more biological filtration before you buy bigger digs :)

Hello. I've already got a sponge filter, two new heaters, some new sponges, and an extra filter. I also have some "Baczyme" (which probably isn't useful), some bio balls, Tetra SafeStart (just in case), a new bottle of water conditioner, some extra substrate, some extra airstones etc, and a few other things. I also have some carbon and ammonia crystals and bags for those. I've been preparing for an upgrade for a long time slowly - but money is kind of a squeeze, especially since there seem to constantly be unexpected expenses cropping up lately. I really thought my fishies would be happy with this tank because its so much bigger, and I'm perfectly okay with not getting another.

And I must say I've gotten pretty lucky as far as water quality goes. I didn't cycle their first small tank properly, switched them abruptly to their larger but still too small tank, and never have had any issues at all. Always ammonia, nitrite, and even almost always nitrate free. I was instructed to do one 75% WC per week due to my stocking levels (Rhonda is 17 grams), but instesd I do two 50% WC per week. Arduous labor indeed but is done without fail for them.

Aside from Slate's head and Rhonda occasionally getting a wee bit floaty, they've been healthy. I'm proud of them for surviving all my mistakes and I'm just trying to make things better for them slowly. I had originally planned to upgrade their tank this Christmas since money is tight, but wanted to do it sooner since that's better for them.

Edited by mjfromga

That thread is 7 years old. Over time our understanding of what is best changes.

What changes have been made since that thread was written?  It seems the warnings given then, are the same as now.  I'm not challenging the statement, I'd like to learn what advancements may have been learned.

Edited by Acro

The main thing that I noticed was missing is that fancies to better in shallow tanks. Deeper tanks tend to exacerbate swim bladder issues.

Also, I was commenting that, in general, what we know changes over time. Another example would be stocking density. The site used to recommend around 10 gallons per fish and now it is leaning towards 20. If someone were to ask a stocking density question today, citing a 7 year old post wouldn't give the best answer.

That thread is 7 years old. Over time our understanding of what is best changes.

What changes have been made since that thread was written?  It seems the warnings given then, are the same as now.  I'm not challenging the statement, I'd like to learn what advancements may have been learned.

7 years really isn't that long. Now I could see if it were 20 years. Fancy goldfish aren't new at all. In any case - due to what everyone said, I ended up passing on the tank. I will likely end up with a 40B as I don't really have space for a 55 gallon (could make space if I had to) and it won't fit into our car anyway (and have no way of getting one here) now that I mention it. Didn't really want a 40B but it will probably have to do.

7 years really isn't that long. Now I could see if it were 20 years. Fancy goldfish aren't new at all. In any case - due to what everyone said, I ended up passing on the tank. I will likely end up with a 40B as I don't really have space for a 55 gallon (could make space if I had to) and it won't fit into our car anyway (and have no way of getting one here) now that I mention it. Didn't really want a 40B but it will probably have to do.

7 years is a very long time. Think about your own goldfish knowledge... 2 weeks ago you knew basically nothing. Now, you know quite a bit more. In 7 years, you could be a goldfish genius.

Two weeks ago I knew nothing? Wow - not true! I've been learning A LOT since I got my two in October and I already had water changes, feeding, testing water, fixing PH, and many other things down two weeks ago. But I see your point. Many years can have a strong effect on what one knows about anything :)

Two weeks ago I knew nothing? Wow - not true! I've been learning A LOT since I got my two in October and I already had water changes, feeding, testing water, fixing PH, and many other things down two weeks ago. But I see your point. Many years can have a strong effect on what one knows about anything :)

My apologies. I haven't been on the forum much and have only seen your recent postings.

It's no big deal. Your point holds true. Recently I have been learning about many new things that aren't pure basics like tank shape, how to use medication, how to keep plants, and other things. You never stop learning. I hope to become a pro! Anyway - this thread was about the tank, which I decided not to get as its not the best for my buddies as everyone kindly let me know. I'm glad I asked and looked around.