Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

Micro bubbles during water change.

6 posts in this topic

I have not had micro bubbles like this during a water change before. Last night I did a change and was letting the water splash in from the top of the tank. I was surprised by the amount of tiny bubbles in the water. My water comes from a well. Please feel free to discuss possible causes etc. Otherwise I just wanted to post a video for people to view since I imagine not everyone has seen this.

Cavitation from the well pump can cause it, since you're not on city water and it isn't as pressured. You could also be seeing suspended nitrogen, in particular, that needs to off gas. My husband's childhood home had this problem with degassing and his brother literally gave their several of their goldfish the bends and killed them before they figured out they MUST fill trash cans first, let it trickle of degas with an airstone at least six hours, then plop it in th aquarium. Anything less equaled dead fish :o

Cavitation from the well pump can cause it, since you're not on city water and it isn't as pressured. You could also be seeing suspended nitrogen, in particular, that needs to off gas. My husband's childhood home had this problem with degassing and his brother literally gave their several of their goldfish the bends and killed them before they figured out they MUST fill trash cans first, let it trickle of degas with an airstone at least six hours, then plop it in th aquarium. Anything less equaled dead fish :o

Oh man I hope this clears up otherwise it's going to make water changes much less enjoyable!

I been getting that in my Molly tank lately.... I switched from the Kitchen sick to the bathroom sick.... My mollies where not happy about that.... :(

DP I get that too, only in the winter when I need to use heated water. . . though I'm on city water.

I just fill it as slowly as possible, making sure the water splashes on something before it meets the rest. Helps a little but I still get them. 

I did notice last week that when changing the 40B (i need to fill from the bathtub into a bucket, then use a pump to fill from bucket to tank) that there were WAY less bubbles than in the 125, which goes to the tank directly from the tap. I guess with the bucket it gave lots more time to splash and disperse. :idont 

I use a filter intake sponge stuffed into my python with a filter sock 200 over top.  Way less bubbles.  I also keep my filters off for 15 mins to let the water sit.  I found if i turned my aqua clear on right away the splashing caused more micro bubbles so I run my Eheim canister filter fist to help with gas exchange then turn my hob filter on 30 mins after the water change is complete.

In my area it's the temp change and pressure that causes the micro bubbles/gas exchange.

I was clueless until I noticed the slime coat coming off my fish from the micro bubbles.

Only happens in the winter.

Hope this helps.