Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
amoonklein

Floaty Hef is Floaty

What a cutie! Have you fed Hef anything else other than duckweed during the treatment?

Hi Lisa! Yes, I did feed Repashy Soilent Green intermittently, but mostly duckweed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Okay, I reported to the mods to see what they recommend next.

Aww, thanks a bunch :D

What size is the tote that Hef is in?

He doesn't seem very active and exercise might help.  My fish tend to just lay around when they don't have a tank mate.  Do you have a small fish who could join him?

Has he completed the medication?  If not, you can't put another fish in there yet.

Edited by shakaho

He doesn't seem very active and exercise might help.  My fish tend to just lay around when they don't have a tank mate.  Do you have a small fish who could join him?

Has he completed the medication?  If not, you can't put another fish in there yet.

He finished his metro last night, but he's still on 0.3% salt at the moment.

I have about 93 candidates for a tank mate (90 of of those are fry  :teehee) but I'm hesitant to put anyone in there with him right now.  Aside from his QT being 10 gallons, I want to avoid the risk of potentially getting another fish sick if Hef is still not well.

Edited by amoonklein

I don't believe Hef is sick. To be honest it looks like it might be congenital swim bladder issues that have worsened, since medication, water quality, and an excellent diet haven't alleviated it. A persistently floaty fish isn't uncommon and I have euthanized one recently, myself. Shallow water and a buddy to encourage exercise are a great idea. A stronger current, like from a power head, can also help a fish gain strength and stabilize themselves, though it seems counterintuitive.

After that round of meds and all the other actions you've taken, I'd just chalk it up to the fish's body in the absense of other symptoms and end treatment except for what I recommended above. The other team members may have some ideas beyond this.

I agree.  I recommend a small companion both to have little effect on the bioload and for the higher activity level of young fish.  Do you have a filter in the tub?

I don't believe Hef is sick. To be honest it looks like it might be congenital swim bladder issues that have worsened, since medication, water quality, and an excellent diet haven't alleviated it. A persistently floaty fish isn't uncommon and I have euthanized one recently, myself. Shallow water and a buddy to encourage exercise are a great idea. A stronger current, like from a power head, can also help a fish gain strength and stabilize themselves, though it seems counterintuitive.

After that round of meds and all the other actions you've taken, I'd just chalk it up to the fish's body in the absense of other symptoms and end treatment except for what I recommended above. The other team members may have some ideas beyond this.

I agree.  I recommend a small companion both to have little effect on the bioload and for the higher activity level of young fish.  Do you have a filter in the tub?

Thanks, Ladies.  I'm actually happy to hear that you both feel as though he isn't ill, just that his swim bladder is wonky and he may be a "special needs" little guy.  That is something I will happily accept for what it is and will try to accommodate him as much as possible to give him the best life he can have. 

Right now, the only filter is a very small sponge filter (this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Aquatop-Aquatic-Supplies-Classic-Aquarium/dp/B00HYEO8H6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2YKHLMXRLPQLV)  I put it in there since it fit very well in the shallow tub and provided a bit more surface agitation than just the bubble wall.  

Since his QT may turn into permanent digs, I'm happy to put a different filter that would work better and provide some current to get him moving more.  Suggestions are welcome.  I think I recall Sharon mentioning this (http://smile.amazon.com/Aqua-Tech-Power-Aquarium-Filter-15-Gallon/dp/B002CG3L9M?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) being a good option?

Also, would it be a good idea for me to look into a larger home for him?  If I could find something bigger for Hef (and a buddy) that was still shallow enough for him, I'd gladly move him.

I think his best potential candidate at the moment for a flat-mate would be Biggie.  He's the largest of my fry and although he's only a few days over 2 months, he's pretty big and kind of zippy:

Anyway, thank you again.  Although Hef's situation isn't ideal, I'm relieved he isn't sick.  

Much love to you kokos peeps!

This IKEA box holds 15 gallons and, while the picture looks white, it has nearly the transparency of glass.  If you have room, one like this would work great.  Look at this.

Ooooo, Zippy would be a great exercise partner. ;)

It would be cool to have an indoor pond with Hef and Zippy.

This IKEA box holds 15 gallons and, while the picture looks white, it has nearly the transparency of glass.  If you have room, one like this would work great.  Look at this.

These are great options!!  I think Lowe's would be easier for me to get to than Ikea.  I'll watch some more videos because if I can work an indoor pond, that would be fantastic :D

Thank you!

Ooooo, Zippy would be a great exercise partner. ;)

It would be cool to have an indoor pond with Hef and Zippy.

:D  I love the idea of an indoor pond for these two also!

Hi guys,

Saw this tank today on CL in my area and was thinking it could potentially be a great option for all my goldies (Hef could be with all his buddies again). If there was a way I could have a large (and shallow enough) tank to keep all my water goobers together, I'd love to do it:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/5539683153.html

I'm curious how you guys feel about a tank like this.  I know buying used can be risky and of course I'd want to check it out in person before committing, but I value your opinions and experience keeping goldfish.

I picked up a 70QT tub from Lowe's over the weekend and Hef is currently taking up residence there :)  

If you have space for it, that is wonderful.  My "big green tub"  is my favorite and healthiest pond.  I got mine used for $75, but you can buy new.

Wow! That would be some indoor pond!

If you have space for it, that is wonderful.  My "big green tub"  is my favorite and healthiest pond.  I got mine used for $75, but you can buy new.

Wow! That would be some indoor pond!

Thanks for the linky and also for the feedback on the CL tank :)

Sorry for the long delay before posting here.  It has been a whirlwind of a week... and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.  <-- It's taking away from my kokos time!

Well, the Hubby and I went to look at the tank on Wednesday and this happened:

20160420_193306_zps0pobzxlt.jpg

I went into the meet trying not to get excited, but as soon as I saw it in person, I knew it was going to come home with me.  I actually hugged it to confirm the purchase was a go :teehee

20160421_083550_zpsyxm7gzkb.jpg

This thing is 1/2" thick acrylic with very minor scuffing.  There is one scratch along the back, but on the outside and should easily be fixed with a kit.  Overall, it's in good condition, especially for the price.  The guy selling it was also pretty cool.  He owns his own reef design business and picks up pieces on occasion for projects, but he was selling it as he and the wife have a baby on the way and he won't have time/money to spend on this tank.  Technically, I don't really have this kind of cash either, but if I can get $250 for the 75 gallon, that will put my out of pocket cost on this new tank at $150.  :D

Size comparison:20160421_191406_zpsfckcxi5l.jpg

I definitely have my work cut out for me: cleaning it, building a stand, thinking about set-up, etc.  In fact, I'm planning on a DIY stand project today.  Ahhhh.

Anyway, I'm super excited to get this thing up and running so all my big water monsters can finally hang out together again!

:9

You might want to read 

on removing scratches.  He has some on cleaning too.

You might want to read

on removing scratches. He has some on cleaning too.
Thanks! I was watching his videos and I'm using his plan to make the stand, so I'll make sure to check out his suggestions on cleaning and removing scratches on acrylic :D

Very cool! Good to see you sitting in and enjoying your new tank. ;) What are the dimension? I looks like a great solution for a floaty goldfish. That way he gets to be with this buddies who don't have the floaty problem.

You look adorable and so happy sitting in your new tank.

Mermaid tendencies, methinks. :D

Wow that tank is amazing! Jealous!

Very cool! Good to see you sitting in and enjoying your new tank. ;) What are the dimension? I looks like a great solution for a floaty goldfish. That way he gets to be with this buddies who don't have the floaty problem.

Thansk!  It's a 120 gallon and measures 8'x2'x1' I'd sit in it all day if I could ;)

You look adorable and so happy sitting in your new tank.

Mermaid tendencies, methinks. :D

Haha... if there was a way for me to swim with them, I'd be all over it!

Wow that tank is amazing! Jealous!

Thank you :D  It was definitely a lucky find!

I think I'll start a thread in either DIY or Tank/Equipment to keep track of the progress on cleaning and building... plus I won't end up boging this thread down (I think I've derailed it a bit)

*sigh*

I was hoping that when I posted again, it would be for a lovely update on how great everyone is doing in their spiffy new tank.  Well, the tank project is still in the works (buffing out scratches) but Mr. Heffer (and the fancies in the 75 gallon) aren't acting quite right:

Hef has been acting about the same, but recently his eyes have been looking a bit buggy and the past few days he's looked a bit "poofier" than normal.  Today when I got home from work, his scales are ever so slightly lifted (towards his head) *Insert sad face here*  Below are some videos for review.  Hopefully they show

5/15/2016 When I noticed Hef's eyes looking buggy

Tonight (5/18/2016) when I noticed his scales

Also... the guys in the main tank have been acting a bit off as well.  I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, or if I should keep everything in here since it has history.  Just in case, I'll keep things going in this thread unless directed otherwise :)

Hugo (the large oranda) had been resting near the bottom of the tank (dorsal at a little less than half mass off and on) on 5/15/2016 with his head pointed down, plus he had a long red spot under his left cheek (videos below).  It looked like a dark red with some white spots on it, so I went ahead and did a 90% water change and watched it (hoping he would heal himself up).  By the end of the next day, it had already looked a lot better (slight pink hue but mostly healed) and he was resting near the bottom of the tank a lot less.  Cool, I thought.  Clean water and a day of fasting and he's almost right as rain again.  This morning, the area under his cheek is a bit more red (now with a bubble) and he has a spot on his left cheek (videos below).  Ralp and Studly have also been bottom sitting today... Between that and Hugo's mystery spots, I'm wondering what's going on and what I can do to prevent things from going downhill.

5/15/2016

5/18/2016

One of these days I'll have some free time so I can actually hang out on kokos more and post happy updates instead of just asking for help all the time! 

Any suggestions are very welcome and if I've forgotten to include something (and I most likely have forgotten something) I'll happily answer any questions or provide additional details, videos, or pictures.

As always, thank you very much in advance.