Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cory McElroy

Got my new quarantine ponds setup!

Finally had a sunny day yesterday so I could cut the tops off these IBC totes. Got it setup for auto water changes etc. Need to build a few more filters and cycle them. Then I can import goldfish for my new display tank :) Was just excited and had to share.

20160224_202034_zpspnqjenjt.jpg

Welcome to Kokos!  

If you need IBCs for quarantine, how big a display tank do you have?  Will you import for resale?  Tell us more.

yes more :)

Welcome to Kokos!!!!!

Well I do import for resale as I own a retail fish store. But the display I'm setting up is a 230 gallon custom acrylic tank with hand carved rosewood stand from Vietnam. No idea what goldies I want to do in it  yet. Part of me want Ranchus, I fell in love with some full black Orandas I brought in a few months back. I kind of really want to play with shubunkins, maybe event bristols as I've never had bristols yet. 

I'm waiting on getting the man power together to move the stand into my house. It takes 4 people cause the rosewood is so heavy. I think my storm door has to come off the hinges to get it through the front door :(. The tank dimensions are 77x32x21.5 tall. The stand is 33 inches front to back depth with trim, and 34 inches tall. So the slimist dimension is 33 inches which just BARELY fits through my front door. 

That's some tank! We are still working on my own display tank and just need to varnish the stand, it can be a biiiig project. Those holding tanks look great!

Filtration pictures please and description. Are you going with showers? 

Probably not showers as it really ups humidity in a closed space. It'll be DIY bucket wet dry filters. I'll make a video on how I make em when I make some more next week. With 4x auto water change a day, I won't need something as powerful as a bakki shower in theory. But we'll see how it goes, Adjusting filtration and water changes as necessary. 

What do you mean by "4X auto water change a day?"

Looking forward to your filter video.

What do you mean by "4X auto water change a day?"

Looking forward to your filter video.

That's a good question. Changing the water 4 times a day, manually or with a flow through design, would pretty much eliminate the need for filtration.

Well I should be clear. I do 4x water changes a day which is equal to about 25% daily. I have a flow through system. Basically all tanks in the fish room/cold room have bulkheads. I flush water into them and then it goes out to my yard/garden. In my experience at the loads I carry koi at the store for instance 95% water change a day can't keep up with the ammonia produced. So filtration is still needed. 

In theory on an auto water change system I could change a lot more water, but I do have chlorine in my water. Very small amounts, so the effect that black worms don't die in it. But I don't really want to be burning gills or anything either. So I find that consistent water changes do what I need it to do. I shot the video of how the water change system works on the tote but it doesn't release on my youtube channel till next Friday. 

I do a continuous trickle in my ponds.  I drip in 10% of the pond volume daily from a reservoir, which I refill daily, adding Vitamin C for dechlorination.  

Probably not showers as it really ups humidity in a closed space. It'll be DIY bucket wet dry filters. I'll make a video on how I make em when I make some more next week. With 4x auto water change a day, I won't need something as powerful as a bakki shower in theory. But we'll see how it goes, Adjusting filtration and water changes as necessary. 

Welcome to the board and I just finished watching one of your videos. Great set-up you have going on there and I'm looking forward to your filtration video. I noticed some of your DIY 2 liter soda bottle in tank moving beds and am completely impressed, never seen that before but I'm more of a pond guy in nature. Ever thought of moving beds on that system? They would probably take up less room and you could get more bio, albeit not as efficient. 

If you can't use a shower I guess you can't go wrong with a wet/dry set-up.  I've seen some killer showers in the past but they were always outdoors and I built a few myself from 15" diameter pipe.

Looking forward to your update and learning a thing or two. 

Well the one tote that is setup using that same media that is in the 2 liter bottle. The k1. It can be incorporated into a bucket style filter as well. I don't use the 2 liter bottle style filters on IBC totes like that because they are so deep it takes a lot of air pressure to drive them. That being said I may end up dropping air stones in each one anyways, if that happens there is no reason to not do it. But a lot of times I just airate inside the bucket filter, with less pressure, it takes a smaller blower to run all of those ponds.

Here is a video on the quarantine ponds. I've got more to setup, just need to find another day off.

Has anyone ever buried a stock tank like this? I was thinking of burying some in my yard to help insulate it to temperature swings. Considering the 150s and the 610. I'm just worried about water inside them vs earth outside will pressure equalize? Looking at ones like on this page. https://www.ntotank.com/plastic-stock-tanks

By buried, do you mean the top level with the ground?  I intended to sink a 2 foot deep stock tank 1 foot into the ground, but built a liner pond instead.  A fully above ground stock tank provides a bit of land predator protection, since the narrow rim makes fishing difficult. 

Stock tanks have more strength than preformed fish ponds, and those maintain their shape when sunk in the ground. 

Kayla102968 lives in Seattle and uses an 8 ft round stock tank above ground.  I'll pm her and draw her attention to this thread.

Hi Cory.  Sharon linked me to this thread and I live close to Seattle.  2 years ago I purchased a green stock tank sold by High Country Plastics.  It is 700 gallons and I have kept it above ground and I love it.  Here is a link to it:  http://highcountryplastics.com/products/water-tanks/w-series-tanks/700-gallon-water-tank.html.

I purchased it at a Coastal Farm and Ranch store and it was very reasonably priced.  They had to special order it from High Country and charged me $269, which for a 700 gallon stock tank of this quality is great.  If you have any questions let me know.  Here is a video and two photos of when I first received it:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9722_zpsa4f7107b.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9946_zps9pegn9ml.jpg