Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

Crushed Coral?

Should I get it? Tired of using baking soda plus the water in Durham, North Carolina is 7.6-7.8 but lacks hardness or kh. What brand of crushed coral do you guys recommend?

Last I tested my water (yesterday) it has a PH of about 9 and no KH to speak of. Water was never blue at all using the test. GH was like 2 drops, as well. So hard to read those tests! I'm wondering if maybe crushed coral may be better for me, too?

Last I tested my water (yesterday) it has a PH of about 9 and no KH to speak of. Water was never blue at all using the test. GH was like 2 drops, as well. So hard to read those tests! I'm wondering if maybe crushed coral may be better for me, too?

9 PH??? Isn't that too much for your goldies?

Way too much. I have to use baking soda, letting water sit, and smaller more frequent water changes to ensure the horrid PH levels don't harm my buddies. Tank PH is currently about 8.

Should I get it? Tired of using baking soda plus the water in Durham, North Carolina is 7.6-7.8 but lacks hardness or kh. What brand of crushed coral do you guys recommend?

When I used it I used it as the gravel in the tank... it takes a bit for it to work. You will have to replace it later about once every 6 months... Thats how I did it... :o

I got the petco crushed coral for SW tanks... just plan crushed coral :)

Crushed coral isn't nearly as available as sodium bicarbonate for buffering. Even aragonite is better. Crushed coral is fairly ineffective. I strongly recommend wonder shells and baking soda together.

Edited by Arctic Mama

To raise KH use baking soda as instructed here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

If you're willing to spend a bit more consider using a more balanced buffer as explained here:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumKH.html#kh

In my experience I get much longer use out of crushed coral for pH and alkalinity buffering. However it does very little for hardness. Wonder shells are a great thing for that. Or equilibrium etc. 

Also know that crushed coral's effectiveness depends on how often and how much water you change. If you're doing say 90% every 3 days, crushed coral won't do much for you and you'd be better off with additives. In systems where the water changes can be spread out more giving the coral time to react it can be very stable.

Edited by Cory

In my experience I get much longer use out of crushed coral for pH and alkalinity buffering. However it does very little for hardness. Wonder shells are a great thing for that. Or equilibrium etc. 

Also know that crushed coral's effectiveness depends on how often and how much water you change. If you're doing say 90% every 3 days, crushed coral won't do much for you and you'd be better off with additives. In systems where the water changes can be spread out more giving the coral time to react it can be very stable.

:bingo:

Thank you