Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Add Canister Filter

Hey ya'll I know I have been asking a lot of questions, but better to know than to not know. I am aware that it is better to have too much filtration than not enough filtration but I'm going to ask anyways. I was thinking about purchasing a canister filter. Would this be alright in addition to my two HOB Aqueon Quietflow 50's? Since I'm already filtering at 400gph with the HOB's could I do with a smaller canister as an additional bio/mechanical addition? I was also thinking about getting rid of one of the HOB's eventually (or replacing it with a aquaclear 70) because it makes AWFUL noise, the other runs super silent. I've tried everything to silence the noisy one but nothing works. I did notice that the bushings that were supposed to be on the impellers WEREN'T THERE but Aqueon is sending me some bushings for free, so I will see if that silences it once and for all.

I think adding a canister filter would be a great addition, but just remember you have to do routine maintenance on them and regular water changes. I have a ca 750 sponge filter and a fluval 406 canister in my 40b. Those 2 filters give me about 583 gph. They do require monthly cleanings, but it's pretty simple and both are extremely quiet. My sponge filter was the loudest (air hose leading out sucking in air was pretty loud until i added a little silencer on it), and my canister is barely even noticeable. 

You have plenty of filtration. Goldfish don't like a lot of current.  You can certainly replace your HOBs with a canister if you wish.  If you want better filtration without noise and strong current, build a pond-type filter like I did for my 40B.

I love my Fluval 405's. Quiet, easy to clean, and lots of room for media.