fancyblackgold

A rough few months...

9 posts in this topic

I started this hobby on January the 31th of 2014 with a small 54L tank and 2 goldfish - a blackmoor and a oranda.

20140130_123551.jpg

On the 1st of February a fantail was added to the tank. The fantail was named FairyDust,

20140130_161848.jpg20140210_130847-1.jpg

but sadly she had to be put down due to a very short and compact body that made her swimbladded defect in the fall of 2014.

P1030893.jpg

But the blackmoor, Wilhelm, and the oranda, Marlin, was doing great. Here they are in the 325L tank.

P1030579.jpg

P1030513.jpg

Many new fish followed from this humble beginning as the tanks grow bigger and so did the fish - especially Wilhelm and Marlin. By the end of 2015, the tanks had grown to a 660L and two 325L tanks.

Marlin was a whopping 250 grams and over 20 cm (SL, 25 cm+ TL) and the most amazing golden color.

P1080947.jpg

P1090413.jpg

Wilhelm lacked the long body, but was compact and big, with his big bronze belly and very impressive tail. A good 16 cm (SL and roughly 20 cm TL).

P1080955.jpg

P1090423.jpg

Near the end of November, beginning of December, Marlin become very slow. He would stay in a quite spot of the top of the tank and be very still. He would still seek out food, but not move around as much as before. He had no visable signs of being ill and after failed attempts to get him back into his old self, we found Marlin dead in the tank on the morning of the 26th of December. It was a very sad day, losing such a beautiful and great fish.

January came and there was a flukes outbreak in the 660L tank. All fish was treated with Fluke Solve and most showed great improvement, but not Wilhelm. He became lifeless, still, staying in a quite spot of the tank - just like Marlin. He would not be able to keep himself right way up, when given salt baths and his health deteriorated. His once so beautiful tail started to literally fall apart - pieces were missing, it was flayed and it started to become white in more and more places. By mid February he was no longer himself and during a WC he was stuck to the pond pump and got badly injured. This took the last of his power and will to live. I put him down in clove oil while saying goodbye to a very special fish. 

Some people might just see fish as something pretty to look at, but to me these two were my pets. Actually my first real pets, as I never had any real pets growing up. And they mattered greatly to me and I enjoyed taking care of them and I was heartbroken when they where no longer with me. From a humble beginning to a very sad end, I really cared for these fish and will miss them deeply.

Very nice tribute. Sorry for your losses.

this made me sad, but happy that you love your fishies.

A beautiful tribute to a pair of beautiful fish. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost many very special fish and it always hurts a great deal.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's tough to lose pets when you put your heart and soul into them.  :yawn

As one who has cried over the graves of my goldfish, I completely sympathize.

It is hard to move past the feeling that you could have done more, that you failed the creature you appreciated so much in some way.

Wilhelm put the term "black gold" in my vocabulary, and Pierogi aspires to his coloration.

Fairy Dust was a beautiful fish too. May they swim in peace forever. 

sadhug.gif

Sorry for your loss.

Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing your love and losses with us.

What lovely pets you had, and their tribute was great. I'm sorry they passed so soon!