Kokos Goldfish Forum
ChrissieA

Buying a second hand tank

Hey everyone. We are actively looking for a second hand tank. My boyfriend (who was against our fish when I first got them!) has fallen in love with a 600L tank and is currently trying to negotiate a good price with the seller. All I can think about is how many fish I can get in there! :)

We were completely inexperienced when we bought our existing 2nd hand tank and made a few rookie mistakes including not measuring the tank, which turned about to be about 60L smaller than what the owner stated.

As this tank would be a larger investment and wayyyyyy bigger than I had anticipated ever owning, I just wanted to know what kind of things I should look out for?

Measuring would obviously be a good idea. I'm thinking checking the seals would be important. No deep scratches etc. what else?

It doesn't come with a stand so we'd need something to sit it on. Is is easy enough to DIY something to support that kind of weight? And on that note, how will a floor hold up supporting that tank? We have a very old house... Does the wall it sits against matter?

When we started looking I would have been happy with 250-350L, but the thought of 600L is seriously exciting. I just don't want to get carried away, get it home and have it be a mistake because we didn't do our homework. If it's not feasible we will pass on it.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely Check the seals..Ask questions like how long has it been since it was last filled and if it has ever been resealed.

I'm not sure on the weight aspect with floors because  I've never had to worry about that with our house been on a slab, I know others have good advice on placing tanks so the weight is distributed properly though.

As for the stand, again I'm not sure on the technical aspects, but I know myself I would feel a lot safer having a stand built to fit the tank. Again I know a lot of people have DIYed stands and would be more knowledgeable.

Anyway for me definitely check seals, ask questions and be 100% Sure about the stand holding the weight. I'm even more paranoid about these things after my recent disaster :P

Haha Mandy, that's understandable! I have you in mind when I think of 600L of water rushing through my living room :) and you had a place to home your two. We'd be selling the 140L so temporarily housing my existing 3 and alllllllll my new guys! :) would be a challenge in the event of a catastrophe like yours!

Thanks for your input :)

You could search the King of DIY on YouTube, I imagine he will have a video or two on how to construct a stand :)

I also live in a old house, and I have a 680 litre tank. We had to be very selective about where to put the tank, a lot of it depends on what your floor is made of and what is underneath your floor (my tank is on slabs which is above solid ground, as opposed to putting it on the hardwood floor in the living room that had the cellar below)

By the way, I noticed you're in the Nertherlands - I visited once, beautiful country! If you haven't already, check out Dinos fancy goldfish store when you have space available for new fish, you won't be disappointed (but be sure to thoroughly QT new fish)

Thank you Lis, I'll have a look at youtube. I've seen some of his videos and I think I do remember one about a stand. And I'll ask our landlord about the foundations, the house has been in his family since it was built so hopefully he knows.

By the way, I noticed you're in the Nertherlands - I visited once, beautiful country! If you haven't already, check out Dinos fancy goldfish store when you have space available for new fish, you won't be disappointed (but be sure to thoroughly QT new fish)

I can't find it on google, do you remember what city it was in? It's hard to find a good aquarium store here, at least where we are which is the equivalent of a rural area. We've found one we're reasonably happy with although I'm very open to finding new treasures!

Good plan! :)

Yes, it was in Leidschendam I believe :) not a big shop, but he gets imports from China. I've had some fish from him, I can't say I've been all that happy with some of the stock from him, but I have 4 orandas and 2 short tail ryukins which were from him, and they are happy and healthy :)

I've just found that he has a website, it doesn't look much, but I would recommend a visit if you're not too far away :)

http://www.fancygoldfishstore.nl

Thank you! It's about an hr away, which is very far by Dutch standards, but close by Australian ones lol. When we've got the tank sorted I'll take a look, thank you :)

Make sure to measure - and more importantly make sure you know what measurements mean. I ended up with a smaller tank than stated as a rookie error too. Also - make sure you can get the tank home! Anything larger than a 55 gallon tank won't fit into our car. I'm American where this is WAY more of a threat, but BEWARE of letting people come to your home. I flat out don't do it. A seller just yesterday baited and switched a tank he offered me and backed out of the sale. This happens so never pay in advance. Most tanks aren't leaky, but a few are, so as stated, be sure to check silicone seals thoroughly. A leaky tank can be hard to repair. Good luck!

Good luck wit the tank Chrissie.

That tank, water, and stand will weigh a lot.  You need a professional builder to come and evaluate weight bearing capacity of the floor.  You may need some reinforcement, but old does not necessarily mean weak. 

Thank you everybody. Some great tips.

We've decided to pass on the 600L tank for now as the guy doesn't want to come down in price or split the sale so we can only take the items we want. But he'll let us know if he changes his mind. When I got home from work my bf had found a 1500L tank that's come from a business...I never thought if have to work so hard to talk him OUT of a tank... That is too big for our living room, for me to maintain, for us to transport.. I could go on lol.

We've only just started looking and there seems to be either tanks that are smaller than ours, or much larger! We'll find something soon I'm sure. I'll definately use all your suggestions when we do :)

Wow 1500 litres :o Thats bigger than my pond haha. I'd love it though :rofl

Good Luck with your search!

Lol I'd love it too, imagine all the fish! But it'd end up having to stay outside lol. 6 months ago I spent weeks convincing my bf that the two tiny goldfish I was given as a gift couldn't stay living in the 15L 'tank' they came with, and now I'm trying to reign him in lol. Mind you, all he does is admire the fish... If he was the one maintaining and doing water changes on 1500L he may think differently :)

Lol I'd love it too, imagine all the fish! But it'd end up having to stay outside lol. 6 months ago I spent weeks convincing my bf that the two tiny goldfish I was given as a gift couldn't stay living in the 15L 'tank' they came with, and now I'm trying to reign him in lol. Mind you, all he does is admire the fish... If he was the one maintaining and doing water changes on 1500L he may think differently :)

haha that is great though that he is so eager now! 

I didn't read the entire thread but when looking for a second hand tank I always prefer something that was used as a fish tank in the past. Push your fingers throughout the silicon seals and make sure it has some spring to it.....somewhat spongy with some give is what you should be looking for. If it feels hard, stiff, or brittle I would pass regardless of the price. 

I bought fish from Dino in December. You have to treat them for flukes and possible also anchor worms before adding them to the main tank. I had a flukes outbreak due to this.

One of my friends visited the shop and brought the fish back for me. The shop is small, but very well stocked. He has a lot of pictures and videos on his Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fancygoldfishstore.yan/?fref=ts but my friend said the shop was amazing and the fish were quite good looking.

I recommend talking to Dino before you go there, most of the time he might get the fish you desire :) He helped me greatly before I got the fish and spend a lot of time making sure I got the fish I wanted.

Very beautiful fish, that I got :)