GoldnTexas

Our Fishy Friends

85 posts in this topic

I just read through this post and I love your fishy friends!  I can't wait to watch them grow :)

Well after his battle, Lumie did end up passing away as some of you may know from the other thread I had going. It was such a bummer, but these things happen. We ended up getting all the salt out of the main 40 gal this weekend and put the bamboo back into the filtration media compartments and they are holding up very nicely. I have kept some in a vase on top of the tank in case the ones in the filter have problems but seems like they are okay now after a few days so I will likely add the other stalks into the filters tomorrow or soon after. I kind of like the look of it in the vase though. Anyways, on Saturday my wife wanted to take a trip down to the LFS (one hour drive each way local) to look at what they had because she still wanted another fishie for Ru and Hiro and shes an artist and has this odd obsession with the rule of threes for balance. So we drove down in hopes to get a Red Cap Oranda, but they didn't have very many and we couldn't decide on one, so instead we brought home this little guy (pictures to follow). He was labeled as a Panda Butterfly Telescope, but I think he may be a Panda Moor as his tail isn't much like a butterfly from what I can tell. He is still very black but I can see the white on his belly and around his eyes when the light hits them right. We also picked up a Zebra Nerite Snail to add to the fun. We have named the Panda "Lore", after Lorewalker Cho (a Pandaren Monk from the World Of Warcraft game). The snail is nameless thus far. Without further ado, here are our new additions (Ru couldn't resist being in some of the pictures too though).

First the bamboo added back to the filteration:

IMG_0759_zpsyvsccr8o.jpg

Nerite Snail:

IMG_0754_zpslrmc9u8l.jpg

Here is Lore, our Panda Moor!

IMG_0786_zpsvc0hh9np.png

IMG_0778_zpshfgitzbk.jpg

IMG_0780_zps8wk2y2mk.jpg

The Three Fishketeers!

IMG_0772_zps26l0ecs2.jpg

One more for now:

IMG_0774_zpsnlr6nawd.jpg

Edited by GoldnTexas

We also did a minor "decor" upgrade behind the tank too... This thing used to hang in the restaurant of the lake resort my wife's family used to own before it was taken out by a tornado/waterspout. It has found a nice new spot and I think it looks awesome.

IMG_0809_zpssakuymxd.jpg

I'm also doing some basic research into adding some java fern and maybe some anubias to the tank as well to phase out some of the fake plants, I would like to eventually just have it be a planted tank but from what i've been reading those are the easiest ones for beginners and don't really necessarily need anything in particular to grow well. So possibly in the coming weeks we will be adding a few live plants on some of the rocks. 

Also this happened...

IMG_0733_zpsmcaah1ej.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsyb32dntn.jpg

This is why we added Lore to the tank immediately. We had no other choice.

I'm also doing some basic research into adding some java fern and maybe some anubias to the tank as well to phase out some of the fake plants, I would like to eventually just have it be a planted tank but from what i've been reading those are the easiest ones for beginners and don't really necessarily need anything in particular to grow well. So possibly in the coming weeks we will be adding a few live plants on some of the rocks. 

They are easy plants. What light fixture do you have?

Also this happened...

IMG_0733_zpsmcaah1ej.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsyb32dntn.jpg

Has your little guy taken up baseball?   :D

Also this happened...

IMG_0733_zpsmcaah1ej.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsyb32dntn.jpg

Has your little guy taken up baseball? :D

Actually yes lol we bought him a little tikes t-ball set, but the glass broke from the 1" hail stones that destroyed our back yard. Might need a new roof as well.

Edited by GoldnTexas

They are easy plants. What light fixture do you have?

I'm really not sure it I want to get a finnex or current usa at some point in the future. The one I have is a cheap 24" from Amazon. Not even sure the brand but it serves its purpose for now.

Gosh! That tank! How'd the hailstones break the tank? It wasn't inside?

Gosh! That tank! How'd the hailstones break the tank? It wasn't inside?

It was sunny that morning. I had cleaned it out with vinegar and had put it out to dry then we went down to Austin to get our new fish, on our way home a severe thunderstorm grew out of nowhere right over our home town and dumped 1" hail. No warning or anything. Luckily our trip down to pick our fishy saved our car from dents or worse!

Also this happened...

IMG_0733_zpsmcaah1ej.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsyb32dntn.jpg

Has your little guy taken up baseball? :D

Actually yes lol we bought him a little tikes t-ball set, but the glass broke from the 1" hail stones that destroyed our back yard. Might need a new roof as well.

DUDE!! :yikes

Hey y'all! Been a few months, but ru and Hiro are doing good. Decided to take a break after we lost Lore. Last Saturday we purchased our first live plant (anubias nana I believe) and its big and beautiful. It does have some algae growing on it however, but the snail is liking munching on that so it should be clear of it soon I hope. We also purchased a chubby little lionhead Ranchu (pics soon) and we have him in quarantine (finally got to buy a new 10g for that. Our son named him chu chu and so far so good. Hopefully this one will be the final piece! Hope all is well with y'all!

Sorry about Lore :(  It's so tough losing one.  Can't wait to see pics of chu chu!

Hey y'all! Been a bit but I have some news! We had a baby girl a couple weeks ago so to celebrate we upgrade to a 75 gallon which I built a stand for and resealed myself (got the tank for $40). So since we had room, we splurged and bought a fish.  Pics soon because this won't let me upload them...

Congrats on the daughter, the tank, and the new fish!   Looking forward to the pics.

3 hours ago, GoldnTexas said:

Hey y'all! Been a bit but I have some news! We had a baby girl a couple weeks ago so to celebrate we upgrade to a 75 gallon which I built a stand for and resealed myself (got the tank for $40). So since we had room, we splurged and bought a fish.  Pics soon because this won't let me upload them...

Congrats hun :thumbs:

You should be able to upload unless they are very big :) 

They are just from my phone but it's saying they are too big.

Congratulations!!!!:redbanana:

2 hours ago, GoldnTexas said:

They are just from my phone but it's saying they are too big.

yeah the stock setting on phones are HUGE photos... The only way I found to upload them is to make them smaller size on the phone. :) 

You would have to go to your settings and change the size the phone keeps the photos :) 

I will post some better ones when I can get on my computer. Too tired to fiddle on the phone like that too long lol

Anyways, our zebra nerite lived for over a year and got to be just over 1" before he went over the rainbow bridge last week. We got a new tiger in there but now I think we need a few more because 75g is a lot of real estate for 1 snail. We named our new fish Yugi after Yu-gi-oh! And he is 11 months old according to his breeder (Bo Zhao of Zhao Fancies). We have cut pellets from their diet. He was bullying our black ranchu and we are thinking that Hiro is a girl because Yugi doesn't bother the other two at all. We have separated Hiro so she can heal (she's missing a few scales and her poor little fins are torn up after the bullying! Poor baby!). We're also going to be adding a 4ft double tube t8 above the tank soon and working on getting more plants and rocks. We're running an aquaclear 110 and a quietflow 50/75 for filteration. I'm dosing flourish now and noticed tons of new growth on the plants. So that's all for now. Hope you all enjoy my posts! Take care!