Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Our Fishy Friends

Today is our gotcha day! We picked out our first two goldfishes. One is a red and white Ryukin whom belongs to my wife. The other is a little black ranchu. They are adapting well! Did a little bottom sitting for the first 20 minutes or so but are up and exploring their 10 gallon quarantine tank. Hopefully they will remain strong and grow into some big beauties! Here are some of the first pictures of our fishies!

image_zpsvnxb7y2a.jpeg

image_zps4ulvviyt.jpeg

image_zpsif3fdidl.jpeg

Aww they are so cute!! Are you going to be starting prazi or not and also have you chosen names yet??

Edited by goldfishfanforever

we dont have any prazi yet but i was looking into ordering it on amazon. no names yet. but i'm thinking about naming the ranchu Ebisu. but not sure yet, think we will learn their personalities a bit first and come up with something.

Glad you were able to get some fish! You picked some nice looking ones for sure!  :thumb:

were going to be feeding Omega 1 small sinking pellets and repashy soilent green, just made my first batch. How long should we fast them? 24 or 48 hours?

You don't have to fast them, but do feed lightly.

How's the big tank coming?

You don't have to fast them, but do feed lightly.

How's the big tank coming?

I checked it this afternoon and the numbers where the same. I may check it again because I was being highly distracted by other things so I'm not sure I did an accurate test. But the numbers I got were pH = 8.0, ammonia = 0.25ppm, nitrite = 1.0ppm (i think could have been 2ppm as you know i have trouble reading that test), nitrates looked like they werent quite as orange as last time but still around 10.0ppm. I will do a retest here in a bit and post the results on the other forum.

Just got done with a short feeding of a small square of repashy soilent green. They LOVE it. The ryukin was a little pushy towards the ranchu but he got to eat too... was interesting to watch. 

Adorable!!!!

The ryukin will probably always outmaneuver the ranchu for food, so make sure the ranchu gets his share. Ranchus just don't swim as efficiently as fish with dorsals. ;)

Adorable, both of them!

I think the Ranchu (we decided to name him Hiro) is constipated. He had a long white poo with air bubbles in it.

Aww they are so tiny and cute! 

I think the Ranchu (we decided to name him Hiro) is constipated. He had a long white poo with air bubbles in it.

He's been through a lot. Give him time to settle in before you worry too much about anything. :)

Hiro is such a great name for him!! love it! 

Good morning :)

All is well! Did our first water change after morning feeding, they had omega one pellets this morning. Took Hiro a little while to figure out it was food but he caught on soon after Ru started eating (my wife named her Ryukin Ru). They had about 5-6 pellets each in about a 5 minute period. Is that enough? I then took them out and weighed them. Ru is a whopping 8 grams, Hiro is a teeny 6 grams lol (such tiny lil babies!). We are having a blast watching them be goldfish. Ru will sit on the end of the tank where he can see out the bedroom door and watch and wait for us to come into the room! Its so cute! Our son Henry is in love with them too, he is far more interested in them than in his bettas. 

Pictures soon!

That number of pellets is more than enough; you can gauge how much they should eat in a feeding by how long it takes them to take a pause and start "chewing." They will always be "hungry" since they have no off-switch. I just fed my fish and they're already begging again.

Omega One is a nice pellet, as are NLS pellets (many people here use Thera-A since it has garlic and therefore natural antibiotic properties). I alternate between the two with algae supplements. 

Good luck with your fish!!! They are very sweet. 

Your fish are adorable and I love their names! Can't wait to read about them growing!

That number of pellets is more than enough; you can gauge how much they should eat in a feeding by how long it takes them to take a pause and start "chewing." They will always be "hungry" since they have no off-switch. I just fed my fish and they're already begging again.

Omega One is a nice pellet, as are NLS pellets (many people here use Thera-A since it has garlic and therefore natural antibiotic properties). I alternate between the two with algae supplements. 

Good luck with your fish!!! They are very sweet. 

Thank you! I also made a batch of Repashy Soilent Green and will feed them that in the evening. I also have some seaweed sheets but I don't quite know when to offer that since I just got them, I think maybe the two feedings are fine for now. I can't wait to get them into their show tank!

Fed our little gems some repashy tonight... they were having problems getting any off of it so I smushed it a little with my fingers and they each got a mouthful and stopped to chew on it and I took the remainder out. It might take me a couple tries to perfect the recipe, I think. There was still probably little bits floating but that should be alright I hope. They are both adapting well and I am looking forward to take Shakaho's advice and moving into their big tank tomorrow evening  :fishtank:

Pics and update to follow the move!

Goodnight everyone  :sleeping:

Edited by GoldnTexas

Cut the Repashy into earthworm-shaped strips.  Once they get used to this food you can dangle a "worm"  in the water and they will come and slurp off a piece that breaks off in their mouths.  If you say the fish's name as it grabs the food, it will associate that word with "food in my mouth" and eventually come rushing with open mouth when you call its name.

Cut the Repashy into earthworm-shaped strips.  Once they get used to this food you can dangle a "worm"  in the water and they will come and slurp off a piece that breaks off in their mouths.  If you say the fish's name as it grabs the food, it will associate that word with "food in my mouth" and eventually come rushing with open mouth when you call its name.

Thats so cool! I am so shocked at all the cute things these fish do. I'm glad my wife talked me into goldfish instead of cichlids  :teehee

Thats so cool! I am so shocked at all the cute things these fish do. I'm glad my wife talked me into goldfish instead of cichlids  :teehee

I was the same. I have kept fish for over 30 years and always thought goldfish were not cool enough. I have really changed my mind and going forward will never have anything but goldfish in my main tanks. They are like the dogs of the fish world. I think the only thing close to them in the cichlid world world would be an Ocsar.