Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Ryukin Color?

Hey ya'll, while we were out running around today my wife came across this ryukin at petsmart and was curious to know if anybody here could tell her what color she could expect from this bronze/gold ryukin. Will it likely turn completely orange?

IMG_0936_zpsuaeee0fv.jpg

What a cutie!!  I'd guess orange, yep.  :D

Nice shape for such a lil guy.  :teehee

I have no idea, but that is a gorgeous lil guy, and will grow into something awesome! :nana

Hey ya'll, while we were out running around today my wife came across this ryukin at petsmart and was curious to know if anybody here could tell her what color she could expect from this bronze/gold ryukin. Will it likely turn completely orange?

IMG_0936_zpsuaeee0fv.jpg

Yep he should turn a light orange. But there is always a chance he will retain the bronze color for a while.

We've gone to about 6 petsmart stores within our area and this is the only one that we've never seen ich, anchor worm, dead fish, or anything. The fish at this one always look very healthy and happy. It happens to be the furthest one away though lol they have some very pretty orandas there too. We're going to check back here when our tank is cycled, as well as a LFS in Austin and weigh our our options.

you're probably doing enough water changes right now that you wouldn't notice daily water changes in a 10gallon QT.... just sayin..... :lol2

you're probably doing enough water changes right now that you wouldn't notice daily water changes in a 10gallon QT.... just sayin..... :lol2

My wife asked me what we have to do to set up our 29 as a QT... Do we just add a air stone, dose prime, and change 80% water daily?

They actually had a 10gal aqueon starter with filter and hood on sale for $23

They actually had a 10gal aqueon starter with filter and hood on sale for $23

Get it!!!!

Really it will be so much easier than an unfiltered 29 gallon. Do eeeett!!!

Oh and to answer your first question! :rofl

Yes, and airstone, daily water changes (i empty it out completely with the fish waiting in a big bowl), and prime, and you've got yourself a QT!

This also works with large storage tubs. :D

We have a 2 gallon betta that needs a reseal then we can transfer our betta out of our 10gallon and use that too.... We have a 40b, a 29gal, a 10gal, and 2x 2gal in our house lol

The 29 not being used. We had the betta in a 2gal but it leaked so I got it ready for a reseal but never got around to it so he's in the 10gal right now

Edited by GoldnTexas

Could we keep 2 small (1-2") fish in the 10gal QT if we're doing daily water changes?

My answer is yes, as long as you are diligent about water changes. 

I recently had two orandas in a 10 gallon tank. I did lose one unexpectedly, and it could have been due to water quality while we were gone. :( We had a friend helping us and I certainly don't blame him for anything, but since I really don't know what caused it, I can't rule it out. So just be careful is all I'd have to say. :idont

I'm home 24/7 (stay at home dad) so it would be changed every morning promptly at 9am lol

I'm home 24/7 (stay at home dad) so it would be changed every morning promptly at 9am lol

naptime ritual? :teehee

I'm a pusher when it comes to cute fish that could get snapped up (and yet I'm notorious for waiting too long on the ones for me!) so if you're not totally sure or ready, then wait! :)

We're going to set up the QT and hit the stores tomorrow and decide. If we find 2 we want we will snatch them up and QT until the show tank is ready to go.

Plus if we QT, if anything is a problem, we can treat it immediately easier in a 10gal than in a 40b

My wife doesn't know if she wants that bronze one, she likes the red/white ryukins that get yellow highlights. She is getting the 10 ready so I guess she's ready to pick her fishy. Pics to follow tomorrow ????

:rofl so much fun!

Oh, he's very cute. I've been told my Ryukin probably won't stay gray/blue either. I've never seen an adult gray/blue Ryukin - so that makes sense! Ryukins are my favorite (my two are Ryukins). Did you get the Ryukin? I'd love to watch him grow up!

EDIT: Just saw that your wife is selecting fishies tomorrow. I hope you end up with a Ryukin. But then - I'm biased.

Edited by mjfromga

Oh, he's very cute. I've been told my Ryukin probably won't stay gray/blue either. I've never seen an adult gray/blue Ryukin - so that makes sense! Ryukins are my favorite (my two are Ryukins). Did you get the Ryukin? I'd love to watch him grow up!

EDIT: Just saw that your wife is selecting fishies tomorrow. I hope you end up with a Ryukin. But then - I'm biased.

We're getting a ryukin and also a Ranchu or an oranda, I haven't decided which I want of the other two yet.

We're getting a ryukin and also a Ranchu or an oranda, I haven't decided which I want of the other two yet.

Aww can't wait to find out which one out of a ranchu or oranda you decide and when you have time photos please :please

well we went on our journey and came home with these two little gems.

no names yet, but I am thinking Ebisu for my ranchu.

image_zpsdtmcpatm.jpeg

image_zpsif3fdidl.jpeg

image_zps4ulvviyt.jpeg

image_zpsvnxb7y2a.jpeg

Oohhh!! :nana

Awesome!!! I love the tail on the ryukin, almost like a butterfly tail the way it lays flat. They are both adorable, congrats! :nana