Kokos Goldfish Forum
jenzaar

Has anyone replaced an AquaClear motor?

Hello!

I need to replace a filter on my 40B (it's just crap and I have no idea why I've used it so long). I have an AC70 that's been unused for a while, but the motor is toast. I don't believe it has anything to do with the impeller pieces, the motor is just completely burned out.

Anyway I have found a replacement on Amazon, but the reviews are really mixed and make me wonder if I should just spare the trouble and get a brand new filter. :idont

Has anyone successfully replaced their motor? 

Oh, and how do you get it to not leak? :rofl 

My fluval c4 motor went belly up, so i took that off and replaced it with the motor from my ac 70.

You just twist it off and put a new one on.

Their supposed to be pulled off and cleaned on a regular basis.

What Calamity said, plus just be sure the new one has an o-ring in place and it shouldn't leak at all.

Thanks guys! :thumbs:

Rob have you replaced yours? Worried that they sell crap ones, but maybe it's the people who are faulty. :P

Rob have you replaced yours? Worried that they sell crap ones, but maybe it's the people who are faulty. :P

I have not replaced any lately, although the motor on my AC70 just died a week ago. I haven't got around to replacing it yet.

I have not replaced any lately, although the motor on my AC70 just died a week ago. I haven't got around to replacing it yet.

Ok, so you buy one, try it out, and let me know how it goes. :D

:donthit::rofl

Ok, so you buy one, try it out, and let me know how it goes. :D

:donthit::rofl

:thumbup2: I have replaced them in the past with no problems at all.

Edited by HomerJay

:teehee okay. Ordering now!

woohoo! Now I'll start cleaning those filters again! :yikes

Let us know how it works out, k :)

I'm late to the conversation, but I have changed them out on the 110 with no problems, you should be fine. :)

Woo! Thank you!!

I will just test over the sink. :teehee

Good luck!!!!

It shouldn't leak unless there is a crack or it's pulling water over the edge of the filter.

Easy to replace the motor on the HOB AquaClears, just twist and tug downward. Then twist while pushing up to put in the new one.

They should be cleaned out regularly and make sure the intake is high enough that no sand is getting into the filter.

Well my plan to yank the impeller assembly and use that in the new motor would have worked fine, had I not lost it. :doh11: :doh11:

:rofl

will let you know what I come up with now

Uh oh!  It's probably somewhere very safe so you won't lose it.  :teehee

You should lube the o-rings but make sure you use an o-ring lube and not vaseline. Over time vaseline will deteriorate the o-rings and regular lube only costs a couple of bucks at one of the big box stores. Everytime I clean my filters I always put a THIN film of lube on all of the o-rings and/or seals.

I use 3 ACs on my tank (2 x 110s and 1 x 70) and have replaced the motors on them with the ones from Amazon. They work perfectly and you can tell the difference when you exchange them in regards to water flow! I suggest it...there is no reason to buy another media basket when you have ones that already work just fine! I have also bought other replacement parts and nothing has gone amiss yet.

I use 3 ACs on my tank (2 x 110s and 1 x 70) and have replaced the motors on them with the ones from Amazon. They work perfectly and you can tell the difference when you exchange them in regards to water flow! I suggest it...there is no reason to buy another media basket when you have ones that already work just fine! I have also bought other replacement parts and nothing has gone amiss yet.

Thanks! I replaced everything about a week ago and so far, so good! Like I said, I couldn't tell if it was the merchandise that was defective, or the reviewers. :donthit::rofl

Very glad to only have the ACs running on that tank. 

Thanks! I replaced everything about a week ago and so far, so good! Like I said, I couldn't tell if it was the merchandise that was defective, or the reviewers. :donthit::rofl

Very glad to only have the ACs running on that tank.

Definitely the reviewers!