Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Dragon's Rose

Swollen fish

That's just it, we get a LOT of rain here this time of year, and most of our storm drains go to streams, with fish. Not knowing what killed her, I'm hesitant to take the (admittedly small) risk it could get to the local fish population.

Ah, I see. Well in that case, maybe you could seal the fish in something and bury her? I'd certainly not put a dead animal into the trash can or flush said animal. If none of that seems like a good idea, maybe a local Petco or fish shop can safely dispose of her for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :k055:

That's just it, we get a LOT of rain here this time of year, and most of our storm drains go to streams, with fish. Not knowing what killed her, I'm hesitant to take the (admittedly small) risk it could get to the local fish population.

I appreciate and admire your concern, but illnesses like this almost always occur because a failure of the immune system made the fish susceptible to infection by common, free-living bacteria that  occur in any body of water.  If the fish had been infected by a contagious pathogen, you would have other sick fish.  In the absence of very poor water conditions, dropsy symptoms usually happen to just one fish in a tank.

You have a much better chance of winning the lottery than of  infecting a fish in a body of water by burying your fish.

Good to know, thank you.

Also, I offer profuse thanks for your help. We may not have been able to save her, but I greatly appreciate the calm and concise assistance.

I am so sorry for your loss :heart It's never easy

I'm sorry for your loss and the pictures that you showed of her last is the typical "C" shape that many owners have occurred and once they get to that point its highly unlikely they will get better. :(