Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Dragon's Rose

Swollen fish

We have concern about the size of the tank, not because she needs swimming room, but to dilute toxins in the water.  Since the footprint of that tank appears very small, the tank must be deep to hold 10 gallons, so put an airstone in there.  Sick fish need more oxygen than healthy ones. 

Since the ammonia has reached a high level in 12 hours, you should reduce the food to keep it at controllable levels.

I took the liberty of doing some formatting on your d/d form.  I changed nothing you said, just used some spacing and italics to make it easier to read.

Edited by shakaho

My appologies on the water conditioner, autocorrect changed it, it IS prime. I bought the smaller containers because I can't lift much, and my w/c hose won't work with a container on the floor.

I DID take one of my biomedia scrungies out of the sump and pinned it on top of the air stone with a rock (it's still open enough to work I think) so now she is getting some biofilter, if not mechanical.

Meds bought are API triple sulfa and general cure.

She hasn't had ANY food since Saturday morning.

I'm glad you have Prime.  You may want to double dose the Prime until we have established the water change schedule that keeps the parameters safe.

I'm still bothered about the size of the tote.  (Yes, I tend to be paranoid.)  Did you actually measure the amount of water it holds?   It's probably just the picture, but it sure looks smaller than 10 gallons.  I'm assuming the fish has a total length of about one foot when I estimate the dimensions of the tank. 

If it holds 10 gallons it's a 10 gallon container no matter how bad my estimations are, LOL.

General Cure has about half the level of metronidazole that we want, so use a packet per 5 gallons. 

Use the amount of triple sulfa indicated on the package. 

Add a double dose of prime and 

one teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons. 

If you have two totes and will do bucket to bucket, you can set up the second tote at the same time as the first.  Then when the ammonia becomes a problem, all you have to do is move the fish. 

You should be feeding something -- at least a few pellets a day.  I'm not a fan of soaking pellets, and wonder if soaking them for 5 minutes costs you some soluble vitamins and minerals.

I don't think you want bio filtration in medicated QT tanks. I'm not certain, though.

MJ, there are two members of the moderating team on this thread.  We are both experienced in treating this condition.  The policy on this board is that once members of the moderating team are helping on a d/d thread, others should bow out.  I believe a moderator has told you that before. 

Mmm Hmm. :)

"Bow out" I shall.

Edited by mjfromga

No, I didn't actually measure... just bought the largest container I thought I'd be able to lift when full. It is labeled as a 10g, but when comparing it visually to a 5g home Depot bucket (which I'm pretty sure is actually 5g) it isn't double the size, maybe about half again. I know this would be way better and easier if it were actually a 10g, but I definitely couldn't lift anything larger. Her eyes are looking a bit better than this morning, but she is still quite round. I will not be able to measure the volume of the tub until morning, so I'm hesitant to add anything more than the salt unless you think I should. I will feed her before bed. I soak the food because some of them tend to get a little floaty when I don't, but I never thought about the lost nutrients. I'm open to suggestions on that.

I never lift my Q/hospital totes with any water in them.  I always have two totes to do bucket to bucket changes.  When I move the fish to a fresh tote, I use a quart container to dip the water out of the old tote into 10 quart buckets like this.  (I can move a 5 gallon bucket, but if I try to carry one any distance, I will pay for it in pain later.)  I don't fill them all the way, so they probably contain 2 gallons of water and thus weigh about 17 pounds.  If that is too heavy, you don't have to fill the buckets, you just do more walking (good for you) to dispose of the water.  You can siphon the water from the tank into the little buckets,  but that takes forever.

Let's figure out how much water that tote holds.  Please measure the following:

Inside length at the bottom

Inside length at the top

Inside width at the bottom

Inside width at the top

height from the bottom to water level

If it was labeled a 10 gallon tote, it probably holds close to ten gallons.  

Bottom 16" x 10.5"

Top 18" x 12" (at water line)

Water line is aprox 10.5"

I could potentially get another 1.5" or so in height if I can find a way to successfully plug two holes where the handles are, but I don't have any silicone on hand to do this with (if I did, it would be done already)

Edited by The Dragon's Rose

The tote holds 8.5 gallons.  A typical "10 gallon" aquarium probably holds about that much water. This means you can dose medications as if you had 10 gallons of water.

On another note, her eyes are looking much better today. They still have a pale ring around them, but they aren't bulging out like a creepy clown anymore.

Ok, morning update... her eyes are just about back to normal, they'll probably be there tomorrow. Her body is still very round, I really don't see any difference there.

I have noticed, however, that she seems to be shedding a fair bit of slime coat. It isn't enough that I'm seriously worried at this point, but then I'm not really sure if I should be. It's MAYBE 1/2 tsp every 12 hrs or so... is this enough that I ought to be concerned, or just something to be expected at this point?

I don't know the reason for shedding slime coat,  but let's just watch it for now.

Kind of what I figured, it's not like it's coming off in massive quantities.

Ok, opened up QT to switch buckets for her w/c, and found her like this... e9fc6cfd66bec78005ad9e41ee2cd1b2.jpg

She CAN right herself, but has to work hard at it and prefers not to. I also noticed a spot on her belly that looks sort-of like a busted blood vessel, but I'm not really sure what it is: f67d9ccc4996486f793a22cc2da5a719.jpg238c2e1be977a8649d3e7f71fcb91617.jpgabfbd9a209742b42b6fd5f8d2f38221e.jpg

Her spine also seems to be curving upwards, ii looks like maybe just because her belly is so swollen, and it has to, but again I'm not sure: b5c6906d519a715dd8ca45ca607b08e2.jpg that bump between her head and dorsal isn't usually so pronounced.

I feel like she is more swollen overall, but her eyes look better, not sure what to do. Continuing with the w/c for now, if I hear anything back before I sleep, I'll try to get it done. I don't think I could handle her being dead when I wake up... she hasn't been eating either.

I also noticed when I picked her up to switch buckets, that her belly is VERY soft. I touched it very lightly, but it felt like I could poke my finger through without even noticing. I've been as gentle as I possibly can be every time I've moved her, so I don't think my handling has done harm, but all the fight seems to have gone out of her.

Edited by The Dragon's Rose

Poor girl. Hope she can make a turn around. Thinking of you and her xx

It doesn't look good.  I'm so sorry to hear this.

Opened QT to check on her today, she's gone. She was the one I was most attached to, my secret favorite, of my original goldies, she was the only one I had picked. There will be a BIG empty spot in the tank without her.

Oh, no. So sorry. I was hoping she made it when I heard she was doing better. :(

Ok, so now the initial shock is passing... and I'm really curious what it actually was that made her swell so badly, is there any way to really know?

I'm sorry she didn't make it :(. Those symptoms were all in line with a bacterial infection and sometimes they just move really fast. You did your best. Rest in peace, fishy friend!

Oh, also... recommendations on the best... ahh... disposal, method? I don't feel right putting her in the trash, but I'm not really sure what else to do.

To avoid giving medical advice - Popeye is listed on this site as the first stage of dropsy. Dropsy is of course very serious. As for what could have caused this in your fish - I'm as clueless there as I am with what could be causing my Slate's giant lumpy head. Sorry for your loss.

Oh - I'd bury her like any other pet. But that's just me.

Edited by mjfromga