Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Dragon's Rose

Swollen fish

Got home from church a little bit ago, and noticed Brains' eyes looking all bulge-y. Upon a closer look, she is VERY swollen all over, but does NOT, appear pineconed.

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)  Having a hard time reading it due to lighting, I think it's 0, but might be 0.25
* Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
* Nitrate level(Tank)  40

* Ammonia Level(Tap)  0.5
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 5 or less
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Again, crappy light, hard to read, but about a Ph8,143.2KH, 53.7GH
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8Ph, 35.8KH, 35.8GH

Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?  Usually about 75% every week or two

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  Just got back in town, so it has been a bit longer than usual... maybe 2.5-3 weeks, about 75%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 large goldies 6+ in w/o tail, a medium one, and 3 small ones <3 in w/o tail(they made babies, I haven't gotten them out yet), 2 large BN plecos, a medium one, and a few babies

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Promenade with w/c, and baking soda to help with our soft water

* What do you feed your fish and how often?  New life spectrum thera+a and goldfish, omega one super color and veggie. All pellets, I mix them to make it easy for me. Fed once, daily (though I do forget some days). I soak their food for at least 5 mins

* Any new fish added to the tank?No, but I did add some to my tropical tank about a month ago, and use the same w/c hose

* Any medications added to the tank?  No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  None in the past year

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  Just the bulging eyes and extreme swelling already mentioned. I will post pics shortly

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  She is not as active as usual, but seems to be able to move around the tank in all 3 dimensions.

Edited by shakaho
readability

Hope your fish gets to feeling better. That's A LOT of fish - how large is the tank?

Hope Brains eye feels better.

I didn't see you tank size or water temp in the form, not your type of filtration. Could you give us that info? Pictures and/or video would also be extremely helpful :)

Oops! Must have missed those. Tank is 125g, with a 55g diy sump. Not certain of exact turnover as I had to dial back my pump, but it's about 6-8x an hour. Can't remember exact temp, and my heater is a pain to get to, but it's 70-72.

c58ae7fb4533a4dea9fc9a0112528f1d.jpg1216fcd7731ff162010408653c141a1b.jpg9895dce7a3d5fad69431b1961e0522db.jpg7cf63eb3886d58df89cad78baede3a99.jpg30ab78a9c8e3b3538be0ca1a5cdefc99.jpg0b723c3d20a4234088ee999d5b63ce85.jpg

I apologize for the cloudiness of the top views, every time I tried to remove the lid for a clearer shot she moved.

Looks like pop eye. Hope the moderators can help. You'll probably need a QT tank. Hope she gets to feeling better! :)

Aside from the bulging eyes, she mostly looks REALLY pregnant.

She might be egg bound, however with the pop eye present, there's a chance its just fluid retention. A more experienced person will be along shortly to offer advice and treatment options. Pretty plants in the tank BTW.

P.S.

Is that dorsal fin clamped down like that all the time? Or just when she swims? That may be an indicator of how she's feeling and may help the mods.

Edited by mjfromga

I'd definitely treat the popeye.  What meds do you have?  Do you have a decent LFS to get meds if you don't have any?  Do you have Epsom salt and can you set up a QT?

Do not have any meds on hand, but my lfs is awesome. Not sure if I'll be able to get there before they close today though. I can get Epsom salts, but I'll have to get creative if I need to QT.

I would definitely QT if you're going to treat.

See if you can get MetroPlex along with triple sulfa or kanamycin.

You can use any container of about 10 gallons as a Q tank.   Plastic storage totes make great QTs.  If you get two, you can use bucket to bucket water changes.

You can start the epsom salt as soon as you have a container.  Use 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

I think you've caught this early, so she has a good chance of recovery.

If you local fish store doesn't have the antibiotics fantailfan1 recommended, see if they have any mixed medications that have these as ingredients.  For example, you can get API General Cure at most pet stores, and this contains metronidazole.  (MetroPlex is a brand name for pure metronidazole.)  You can use something like this while you wait for an order of metro to come in.  The faster you begin treatment the better.

I will be starting tonight, but have somewhere to be for a while. I will stop to pick up meds and totes while I'm out and start treating when I get home, it'll be 3.5-4 hours from now.

Meds purchased, will get Epsom salts and qt container omw home. When I qt, should I put a filter on it? I have a spare AC 110.

The AC 110 filter would be too much in a QT container (I assume around 10 gallons). Do you have an air pump and airstone that you can run in the QT?

I can pull an air stone out of the main tank, I figured the AC would be too much.

Ok, so she is in QT, has been for a bit. Not feeling good enough to run from the net, but feisty enough to send a big splash halfway across the room. Going to bed, will update in the morning.

When I have a fish in a Q tank, I use a shallow tote, and one of those little Walmart filters to circulate the water.  This provides maximum oxygenation and also some mechanical filtration.  For long treatment, which you can expect, the filter may cycle before you complete treatment.

9d8a0ea3e3b038cefd801cf977bb0596.jpga41adfb3713b1bbca94f96e656c10f66.jpg8b6eb5bf484c2b928e8c3be193b27987.jpg

Ok, morning update. I feel like her eyes are less bulge-y, at least a little, but she still looks super pregnant. On the good side, she was excited when I took the lid off her QT and did the "feed me" dance. She also still seems able to move reasonably well in all directions, but it's a "pregnant waddle" as opposed to her usual derpy self.

Dorsal is also more up than down when she is resting!

Also, I'm not super familiar with proper QT procedure, should I change her water before I leave the house today? She's been in for about 12 hrs at this point, it's a 10g tub.

How many gallons is the QT? She looks cramped. Test for ammonia and let us know what you get.

10g tub. It's a little bit of a tight fit for her, but she can be fully stretched out in all directions. She won't be getting rambunctious in there, but it's not like she needs to in QT, right? Ammonia is aprox 1ppm, w/c starting.

Please tell us what medications you have purchased so we can determine how to use them.

I just looked at your form and saw you do not have Seachem Prime water conditioner.  This can protect your fish from low levels of ammonia/nitrite.  Please get some right away.  Until you have it, you must test your water twice a day and do a water change If you have any ammonia reading.  If it reads less than 0.5 ppm, do a 50% change.  If it reads 0.5 ppm or more do a 100% water change.  The bucket-bucket method makes the 100% water change easy.

Once you have the Prime, you won't have to change as much water.