Kokos Goldfish Forum
GoldnTexas

Start cycle over?

I always get readings of at least .5 ppm of ammonia from our tap, and sometimes near 1 ppm. Within a day or so, the tank usually gets rid of it and adding prime when I change water at least helps make sure it doesn't harm my fish. Just letting you know that you're not the only one with ammonia in your tap. :) If I recall right, excessive chloramines added to the tap show up as ammonia.

Edited by mjfromga

I always get readings of at least .5 ppm of ammonia from our tap, and sometimes near 1 ppm. Within a day or so, the tank usually gets rid of it and adding prime when I change water at least helps make sure it doesn't harm my fish. Just letting you know that you're not the only one with ammonia in your tap. :) If I recall right, excessive chloramines added to the tap show up as ammonia.

yea that's what I was thinking, I edited my post just now to reflect that lol

What I was told to do was to test the water 24-48 hours after changing it and see if the ammonia was still there. It wasn't. Your tank is newly cycled so it might still be there, but given time - I think that your tank will boot the ammonia in a day or two once you get a nice, aged cycle. Your ammonia amounts are trace - less ugly than mine so you're good to go :) Just dash the prime again if after 48 hours the ammonia is still there. Glad your buddies are growing.

It could be your eyes.  Some people read 0.25 ppm ammonia when they test distilled water.

The API ammonia test reads the sum of ammonia plus ammonium.  Did you treat the tap water with Prime before you tested it?

It could be your eyes.  Some people read 0.25 ppm ammonia when they test distilled water.

The API ammonia test reads the sum of ammonia plus ammonium.  Did you treat the tap water with Prime before you tested it?

no i just took straight from tap

I wouldn't worry about it.  Prime easily handles 0.25 ppm ammonia.  You might try an ammonia test on some distilled or RO water.

I think I'm cycled... 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 10ppm nitrate on my test today! Did a 50%wc today dosed prime and salt accordingly. When can I stop adding salt? Or should I just keep adding it?

Thanks for a great cycling thread GnT

I think I'm cycled... 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 10ppm nitrate on my test today! Did a 50%wc today dosed prime and salt accordingly. When can I stop adding salt? Or should I just keep adding it?

Bravo!  You did it.  You don't need salt anymore.  

Where is the Ryukin? I wanna see the Ryukin!! How are they doing?

Where is the Ryukin? I wanna see the Ryukin!! How are they doing?

I will post some pics in a bit! They are doing great and they are getting fat and very happy!

:goodjob

Congratulations!!

Ru is our shark, and Hiro is our little whale-manatee lol

sorry for bad quality, but its an iPhone 5c camera... not the best.

IMG_4774_zpse5rmw4fo.jpg

IMG_4772_zpsx3jhtlxx.jpg

IMG_4765_zpsabjvnx4g.jpg

IMG_4764_zpsa1skgdew.jpg

IMG_4770_zpsll4jkknq.jpg

Edited by GoldnTexas

Such cuties!!

Aww they're so cute :) I love the Ryukin (duhhh)