Filter Brand- Aqueon QuietFlow10

Water Conditioner-Top Fin

No New Fish

Feed Fish at least 3 times a day with Aqueon granules

No medicine

No unusual findings

No unusual behavior

I had for about 2 months

I just changed the filter. I just want to know what I need to do to lower the ammonia levels please

Someone will be along to help you.

How many fish are in the tank?

Let's go ahead and do a 100% water change since the pH from your tap and tank are the same. Just make sure to add your water conditioner and match the temperature.

Please take a look at this as well :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

Yes, I agree.  100% WC.  Those levels are toxic to your fish.  How many fish in the tank and their sizes please (from nose to where the tail starts, not to the end of the tail).

As Mikey said, please change all of the water.  Do it now.

Once you have finished that, please copy and fill out his form.  We need all of the information.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results for the Following:

* * Ammonia Level(Tank)- 0 ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tank)- 0 ppm

* * Nitrate level(Tank)- 0 ppm

* * Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0 ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tap)- 0 ppm

* * Nitrate level(Tap)- 0 ppm

* * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)- 7.6

* * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)- 7.6

* Other Required Info:

* * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit Drops

* * Water temperature? 68

* * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon for 2 months

* * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon QuietFlow 10

* * How often do you change the water and how much?- Once a Week about 25%

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today and full change

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish I don't know how big

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use TopFin water conditioner

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon goldfish granules

* * Any new fish added to the tank? No

* * Any medications added to the tank? No

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

Hi there. How much food are you feeding? Can you weigh it? I imagine you're feeding too much and it also seems his tank has not cycled. Google search nitrogen cycle and read up :)

I feed him a lot in small portions because he his a big fish and thanks I will look that up

Hey! You'll notice the ammonia came down after a big water change, that's the best way to keep your water parameters in check while you're cycling the tank. Just make sure the ph and temperature of the tank and tap are the same each time. If you read the link Mikey shared on keeping healthy goldfish youll see a minimum 50% week water change is recommended, but because your tank is still cycling you'll need to do more.

If you browse through the water quality section of this site you'll find tonnes of information on cycling.

Also, feeding lightly will help to keep the ammonia down until you've properly cycled.

Good luck :)

Since you say he is a big fish, I'd also double the size of the tank and filter (at least) as soon as you are able to. Big fish in small tank can mean big trouble! Good luck :)

Edited by mjfromga

How is everything going?

Now please test the ammonia daily (before changing water) and report your results.

I see you have been changing only 25% of the water weekly, which I assume someone (erroneously) recommended.

Please read our guidelines, which focus on the needs of goldfish, as opposed to fish in general.

Please clarify "I just changed the filter."  Do you mean you put new filter medium in the filter?  Or did you get a new filter?  If so, that explains a huge spike in ammonia.  You removed the ammonia oxidizing microbes from your filter.  I recommend rinsing your filter medium in the water you remove from the tank at each water change.  If you do that, the medium will not get very gunky, and will last (depending on the type of medium) for several months to several years without replacement.

I also need to know roughly the size of your fish.  What variety do you have?  Is the oranda in your avatar your fish?  Or do you have something else?  Then, with a ruler in your hand for reference, look at the fish and estimate the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.  

Could you show a picture of your whole tank?

So here's what you have to do:

Cut way back in the amount you feed.  Fish produce ammonia from protein in their food.  For starters, feed what you normally give your fish in one of those three feedings.  You can spread that out over a day if you wish.  If you feel guilty about feeding so little, give your fish some steamed leafy greens to nibble on.  Do not feed peas which have lots of protein.

Get Seachem Prime water conditioner.  This will protect your fish from up to 1ppm ammonia/nitrite while you wait for the filter bugs to grow back.  Note that while the price might seem higher than the Top Fin stuff, it treats much more water, and actually has a lower "unit" price in terms of water treated per dollar.

Test your tank water for ammonia and nitrite every day before a water change and report the results here.  From that data, we can recommend a water change schedule that will keep ammonia low enough that Prime can make it safe.

While eventually you will need a larger tank, it can wait until the next dollar per gallon sale at Petco.  First you must protect your fish from ammonia/nitrite while you get your filter cycled. 

As Sharon and  many people have stated, GET PRIME IMMEDIATELY. Prime is a fishkeepers best friend in helping alleviate ammonia, especially since it works for up to 48 hours.

Okay, let's get that tank all the way filled up :) we want as much water in there as possible I would highly advise an upgrade to at least a 20 gallon if money permits.

How are you maintaining the filter? The blue plastic pieces should never ever be rinsed under tap water as they hold your biological bacteria. If they ever need to be rinsed to where they are hunky rinse them in a bucket of tank water so the bacteria that's built up doesn't die from the chlorine in the tap water. Let's keep testing that ammonia daily and making sure it doesn't spike again. If it does make sure you do a big water change to correct it.

I don't really mess with the filter. And how should I maintain the ammonia levels

I don't really mess with the filter. And how should I maintain the ammonia levels

Hello :) I think you'll find the answer to maintaining the ammonia levels in replies #9, 11, 12, 15 and 17, and summed up perfectly by Sharon in reply #14.

Good luck :)

No worries, there's a lot of information there. It can seem overwhelming! I'd suggest doing as Shakaho has suggested, she's the perfect person to assist you in sorting out your ammonia issue :)