Kokos Goldfish Forum
gothicchick1100

how many fish in my new tank

hello everyone, just want to ask a question about correct stocking levels. My new tank has arrived, it's 104 us gallons, how many fancy goldfish can i keep to allow them enough room to grow. There's so much conflicting advise out there so i just wanted to clarify what is actually correct.

From what I understand, the rule of thumb is a minimum of 20 gallons of water per goldfish.   This would allow you to have 5 fancies comfortably living in your tank.  I'm sure someone with more experience will come along and give you a more definitive answer and the reasons why, but I thought I'd pitch too :)

Congrats on the new tank!  That's very exciting :D

I agree 5 would be a nice number

Congratulations on your new tank!!!!!

Please read our guidelines for all recommended procedures.  Please also take note of the filter turnover rate and water change schedule since these also affect water quality.  

I suggest you start with two small fish in the big tank which allows you to do a fish-in cycle.  If you put a little media from your cycled filter in the filter of the new tank, feed lightly, and check ammonia and nitrite every two days, you may well cycle the tank without ever seeing ammonia or nitrite.  After three weeks, you cam add a fish a week as long as you don't see ammonia or nitrite.

Think in terms of 3 or 4 fish rather than 5.  You will find a fish you just have to have, so save room for it.

I'm gunna be swapping my fx6 onto the big tank so I don't think there should really be any isuues with cycling

If you have problems with diatoms or other algae, you should consider a bristlenose pleco. I find with my 65 gallon tank that my bn pleco is such a welcome addition. She keeps the walls and plants pretty spic and span! I do clean my anubias about every 5 months because my pleco has a hard time removing every last piece of green algae from the anubias. I had to clean my anubias once a month before I got her.

An albino bristlenose pleco full grown will be less than 6 inches. Females are also less aggressive than the males.