TikiLola

Does anyone have a self priming canister filter?

20 posts in this topic

The number one reason I use Aqueon quietflow power filters (two 55/75's on my 75g)is that they self prime. The power flicks on and off on a regular basis, especially during the summer. Let alone power outages. Thinking about going for a canister :scared:  but self priming is essential. 

I have a Fluval 406 and really love it!

When I do a water change (but leave the canister alone), I just unplug it, and plug it back in when I'm all finished. I don't need to cut the flow off the valves/tubing, but when the tubes do empty, it fills itself back up. 

There have been a couple of times that I cleaned the filter and it did not fill up by itself. There's a little pump on the top that you can use to syphon water in. But in the case of a power outage, it would just come back on. :)

I hope this was helpful. I can't seem to get anything to make sense. :rofl 

Hate my fluval it does not self start.  I have 3 rena's they all self start.

Love my Fluval FX6, it's all I've ever known so I couldn't imagine having a non-self-priming filter! :)

I have 2 Fluval 405 that restart fine on their own. Just cleaned them both out. Filled with water. Started right up.

I have the Marineland 350 canister, and it's amazing.

I have 2 marineland 350's for my 75, but when I had one, it did fine as well. It looks like this is very similar. :)

Yes! I was surprised to see one there for $165 - i think i got mine for about $200, and while it was on sale! :o

(it's not refurbished right? Do they even do that with filters? :rofl)

:ignore

I totally forgot the first half of that question.

I think the 406 is rated at 383gph. So that gives you roughly 5X turnover. I'm not sure if that would cut it. eeka Do you have a lot lot of fish in there?

I do think they say 5-7x for canisters, but I'm not totally sure on that.

I think the 406 is rated at 383gph. So that gives you roughly 5X turnover. I'm not sure if that would cut it. eeka Do you have a lot lot of fish in there?

I was going to keep one of the Aqueon 55/75's on there also.  :whistle  A 5th swimming potato will be added in a couple of weeks. :whistle

I was going to keep one of the Aqueon 55/75's on there also. :whistle A 5th swimming potato will be added in a couple of weeks. :whistle
that and a 55/75 will be perfect :)

What is that all together? 783gph? I forget the 55/75 turnover rate.

Edited by Mikey

My SunSun restarts itself however doing any maintnance is a pain. I'm thinking of swapping it for a 406 and then maybe swapping my AC70 for a 406 as well. But that won't be until I know if I'm commuting to college or not :lol2 if I do guess who's buying himself a 75 gallon tank :whistle

Never had problems with canisters restarting itself. I have eheims and UP-aqua.

See the prime button on the left?  It does not sell start you have to prime it.  A huge pain.  Takes me a long long time to get mine going. Do not buy that.

Generally only if it's newly set up/cleaned it takes forever to start up. If the power were to flicker or go out for a little I would think it would keep pressure and restart without ease, no? :idont

Ya I have had power flicker and it come back up but if power is off a while I have to help it come back on.  Did I mention I hate that thing.  I had hoped they had improved them is why I got this one a few months ago but they have not.  I well stick to my Rena's I think Filstar(sp) makes them now.

Maybe it is a defective filter? All my HOB Fluvals and my SunSun canister come right back on after the power goes out :idont to each their own :) We all have our own different opinions :)

Edited by Mikey

The is the second fluval they both did this.  So I always get lemons? lol

The is the second fluval they both did this.  So I always get lemons? lol

Thats okay hun... your not the only one... I had one years and years ago... Same stupid problem... There Prime Button is a joke.... Eheims primer is much better :)