Kokos Goldfish Forum
mjfromga

PH issues - few questions

So my tap PH came out today looking like this. Both tests off the charts. Its been dancing around lately, but I've seen THIS repeatedly. There's no way I put this into my tank as PH usually runs in the mid-upper 7 ranges. So no... Way. There's also no way to lower it (that I can see) so that its a safe number. Is it advisable to try and get my fish to adjust to extremely high PH levels slowly in case this becomes permanent? What could be the reason tap PH levels are fluctuating so badly?

post-25299-0-40058500-1454865180_thumb.j

Will you test your tank pH?  What is your KH?

Tested tank PH alongside tap PH.

IMG_20160207_112803_zpsvb7zgw6b.jpg

Slightly lower than usual today, but about right.

This is a tap test from a while ago...

IMG_20160130_000915_zpsjcbbxvr2.jpg

It wasn't QUITE that low two days ago when I did my water change, but was only a not higher. What's the big idea?

I have no way to test KH currently so I have no idea of that.

Your tap is all over the place.   :o  See if you can go online and look up your city's water quality report.  Many of them will report KH (may be listed as alkalinity).  I'd highly recommend getting a test kit for KH  . . . .

I assumed you have city water . . . if not what is your water source?

Ordered a KH kit just now. I went and looked for a report for my county, but could not find one. Not exactly sure how to search it.

What does your tank water usually read for pH?

It normally reads slightly higher than what it read today. I was told to check it before the lights went on and then also after the lights were running for their designated time and the first test read what I showed, I will post the second test this evening.

I called and asked for a water quality report and she told me she had no idea about that and to contact the Scott Candler Laboratory during "normal business hours" to get them to come out and test everything. Hmm, seems a tad weird.

IMG_20160207_120005_zpsmweccyn3.jpg

Here are the other tap tests. A lot of ammonia today in there as well. There are usually just trace amounts but looks like over .5 ppm today. Pretty ugly.

Tank tests (I only have 3 test tubes, broke one)

IMG_20160207_115007_zpsabxh3m3j.jpg

Edited by mjfromga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvDgyLatS0s

Tested my tank water after the lights were running and they ate etc. It went up a bit, as seemingly the person who asked me to do these tests knew it would. I think at this point, its safe to say ALL my PH levels are all over the place. Very worrisome to be frank. Doesn't seem like there's much I can do.