Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Has anybody tried these water conditioners?

Caught wind of a few different water conditioners and wanted to see if anybody here has had any experience with them.

First one claims to work pretty much like Seachem Prime, believable since I know it can be done.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Water-Conditioner-Fish-Tanks/dp/B016VV93SG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454778186&sr=8-2&keywords=natural+rapport+gravel+cleaner

They have a product called "gravel cleaner" as well, which claims to break down waste so it won't foul your water as much by using bacteria or SOMETHING. This one seems sketch. Never heard of an effective product like this before.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Gravel-Cleaner-Fish-Tanks/dp/B016VVQG0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454778438&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+rapport+gravel+cleaner

THIS last ONE up next makes OUTRAGEOUS claims and I wanted to see if maybe some of our overseas fishkeeper friends have had any experience with it. It isn't an American based product so would have no popularity here.

http://www.amazon.com/USFM-0500-Fluid-Filter-Medium/dp/B004HSSUYY/ref=lp_12740027011_1_6?srs=12740027011&ie=UTF8&qid=1454778365&sr=8-6

The first product requires 5X the dosage of Prime (5ml per 10 gallons as opposed to 1 ml per 10 gallons)  and sells for the same price.

A company called Aquascape Builds ponds all over the US.  These shallow ponds all have a deep layer of rocks on the bottom.  They call this a "natural" filter, even though no natural ponds/lakes with multiple layers of stones in the bottom exist.  Then they sell a huge variety of (expensive) products that you must treat the pond with periodically.  All of these supposedly contain live bacteria, including this one, which appears to have the same function as your second link.  However, if you have a pond with rocks in the bottom that collects solid waste, within a few weeks you will have large populations of various types of heterotrophic bacteria that break down wastes.  With bacteria, "If you build it, they will come."   You know that from cycling.  You put a filter in a tank of water, add some ammonia or some fish and wait for the nitrifiers to come.  And they will come, even though they grow slowly.  

As for the third one.  :wacko:   Since it does all those things without adding chemicals to to water, it must be using spiritual forces.  Those are outside the realm of science, so I can't evaluate them.

I am very happy with Prime & plan to stick with it!

As for the third one.  :wacko:   Since it does all those things without adding chemicals to to water, it must be using spiritual forces.  Those are outside the realm of science, so I can't evaluate them.

:lol:

Hey I just realized that I have a hard working gravel cleaner......It's ME!!!!! :teehee

My gravel vacuum does most of the work - but I agree!