amoonklein

Beybeys!

107 posts in this topic

Got home today and saw that several fry were spitting out their brine shrimp again (maybe my bottle of PraziPro isn't as effective as it used to be) so I did a 75% water change (with my handy dandy turkey baster) and re-added the PraziPro.  I can't wait until I feel comfortable enough to do water changes by siphoning water using airline tubing.  For now, I'm too worried I'm going to accidentally suck someone up.

I sucked someone up in my WC yesterday :peeka He was swimming around the bucket all happy looking though so I scooped him up in a cup and put him back in the tank 

Oh gosh!  My initial reaction would be to freak out, but it's nice knowing that you've had experience with it and they've been OK afterward.  I bet it's like a crazy slip 'n slide experience for them!

I sucked fry up all the time. :rofl

I siphoned into a bowl, rather than directly to the sink :yikes, but they always made it out fine. Just gotta have a good eye for them. :)

Between you and Kathleen, I feel less nervous about sucking them up and accidentally hurting them.  Seems like these guys are sturdier than I give them credit for!

Yesterday was a long day...

I came home and saw that the brine shrimp eggs I ordered from Brine Shrimp Direct arrived.  It ended up being very good timing as the last batch of eggs I hatched was really disappointing and I felt like I really didn't get very much out of it.   I was worried they wouldn't have enough to nibble on so I ended up plopping in some cooked egg yolk in the morning and by the time evening rolled around the tank was so gross.  Eww.

I did a 100% water change for the first time.  I ended up taking everyone out of the 10 gallon and putting them into a 1 gallon holding tank with some BBS to keep them entertained.  Crazy how long that takes... I counted 58!  I have 58 fry!!

They have grown so much already but are still so tiny.  Here's a comparison showing the size difference between one of the larger ones and one of the smaller fry:

Here they are in their 1 gallon holding tank (apologies in advance for the super spam of videos):

Once I had the 10 gallon nice and clean again, I put them all back and added the rest of their BBS... so my nice clean tank was now dirty/clean ;)  You can see all the unnecessary debris from the brine shrimp hatch batch... oh well. 

Then I rinsed my BBS hatchery and added the new eggs before I went to bed.  By the time I woke up, sooooooo many had hatched already!  Man, what a difference.  I added those BBS to the tank and they fry got a nice breakfast.  Rinsed the hatchery out and got the eggs going again this morning.  I'm looking forward to setting up my second hatchery tonight so I can have a constant supply going :D

Side note... I also woke up to more eggs in the main tank!   Ralph was being chased by [yet to be named] and dropping eggs all over the place.  Poor Ralph.  Love is in the air... errrrrr water!  Love is in the water.  I left these eggs in the tank since I can't imagine trying to handle more eggs or fry right now.

You're doing such an awesome job!! Really sounds like you've got it under control. :D 

You're doing such an awesome job!! Really sounds like you've got it under control. :D

Thanks! Sometimes it feels like I should be doing more or I totally overthink what I am doing... so that's sweet of you to say :)

The fry are 14 days old today and they are starting to look so much bigger.  They have lightened up in color and are starting to get some shine to their bellies.  I'm happy to report I still have all 58 fry :D  One of them looks like it might have a single tail.

I moved them from the 10 gallon tank into a 20 gallon long on Saturday.  I have it approximately halfway full (maybe a bit more) and they seem to be enjoying the additional room.  I can't imagine having kept them in the 10 gallon any longer. 

Also, on Saturday I did a major water change on the main tank and told myself if I saw any eggs leftover from Thursday's spawn-fest and they had eyes, I would pull them out.  Well, there were 25 eggs that had been fertilized and were developing so I moved them to the 10 gallon.  They started hatching on Sunday afternoon and were done by Sunday night.  One didn't make it so I have 24 more fry that are about 1 day old.

OMG I'm becoming a goldfish fry au pair for realziez!!!

The fry are 16 days old today.

I'm doing daily 80-90% water changes and they are in about 11-12 gallons of water right now.  I can see that soon I will really need to utilize all 20 gallons of their tank soon.

When should I do their next prazi treatment?  I'm definitely seeing occasional yawning/spitting, plus some of them get extra zippy in the water (although I'm not sure if that's normal fry behavior).

Here are a few videos taken last night after their water change and a heavy dose of some BBS (I even got one fry up close for a few seconds!):

Also, the little eyelashes in the 10 gallon tank are starting to swim horizontally :D  I'm considering doing a tiny water change on them and maybe giving them a hint of BBS to see if they are hungry yet.

Holy fry Batman!  :rofl3

What are you gonna do with all those fish?  :o  Time for a pond.  :rofl

Holy fry Batman!   :rofl3

What are you gonna do with all those fish?   :o  Time for a pond.   :rofl

I had that "holy cow" moment the other day when I realized I still had 58 fry!  I can't bring myself to cull any... I would have if I noticed development issues that would hinder their quality of life, but they all seem to be relatively strong little buggers.  

Even though a pond would be amazing, I definitely can't keep them all.  I will most likely rehome the majority and keep a few.  I am already overstocked on the 75 gallon but I have been planning to upgrade their tank for a while (just haven't found the right price point or the right tank). It kind of works out that I haven't found one yet because now I can make sure the next tank I get comfortably houses my adult crew plus a few of these new guys (with maybe room for 1 or more in the future).

I may end up posting here to see if some local kokos peeps would want to expand their goldfish crew... but in the meantime, I'll need to get a better plan as I won't be able to keep those 58 fry in that 20 gallon for much longer.

Lisa, can you remind me how often you dosed Waldo with prazi?  Was it every 2-3 weeks?

Oh, I'm sorry I missed answering about the prazi!  I had to look back, it looks like I did Prazi Pro approx every three weeks for four days each time.

They are so doggone cute!  Great videos too! :)

Oh gosh, no sorries necessary and thank you for the info :) I'll plan on doing another dose on them soon so that they are around the 3 week mark as well.

Had my first casualty today :(  One of the fry was struggling to stay off of the bottom of the tank... almost like it was weighed down.  Every time he'd try to swim up and around, he'd get tired and eventually sink back to the bottom, then scoot around and keep about his business.  I named him Scuttle.  I was trying to keep an eye on him, but Max and I had to head out for a family dinner event.  When I came back home a few hours later, Scuttle had passed.  Sad face.  I'm not entirely sure what happened... I'm hoping this was a developmental problem that only affected Scuttle.

The remaining 57 seem to be sputtering about, happy, and are definitely growing like weeds.  I put a larger sponge filter in their tank today (moved their former sponge filter into the 10 gallon tank with the smaller fry.  I've been doing large daily water changes and slowly raising the water height each time.

Here they are today.  You can actually see Scuttle in the first 5-10 seconds of this video in the lower right hand corner scooting about and then going off camera.

The first batch of fry are 23 days old today.  They are still in the 20 gallon, but I'm looking into all upgrade options for them as I'd like to get them in a bigger set-up asap.  Money is a bit tight, so I've been looking into craigslist tanks as well as Rubbermaid stock tanks that I could use :)

I started their second round of PraziPro on Sunday.  I was originally trying to wait until the 3 week marker, but after Scuttle passed away I didn't want to take any chances.  This makes 2 weeks between treatments.  They are on day 3 today and are handling it like champs.

They are also eating machines!  There was a time when I'd make a batch of BBS and have to siphon out quite a bit at the end of the day, but now they hoover everything up very quickly.  The tank looks almost spotless when I get home and check on them.   I'm looking forward to introducing different foods.  When they get to 1 month old, will Repashy Soilent Green be a good option to add into their food rotation?   

Also, the second batch of fry are 10 days old today :)  I'm pretty sure I have about 24, but haven't done an official count yet.

Here is some video spam from Sunday after they started their 2nd round of prazi:

They look great!!!!!

They look great!!!!!

Thanks missy!  They really have grown so much already  :wub:

Batch #1 - The fry are 25 days old today :)  Here's a quick video of them after a large water change.  They just completed their 2nd round of prazi and are having a glorious dinner...

Batch #2 - These guys are 12 days old today and their little bellies are getting nice and big.  I'll have to start getting videos of them too!

The water boogers in the main tank spawned again and Ralph laid a bunch of eggs yesterday morning.  Thankfully, I was able to do a water change last night and get all the eggs out of the tank before they really started developing.  As much fun as this fry thing is, I can't imagine a 3rd batch of fry right now.

They are getting big :yikes

They are getting big :yikes

Yes!  They are turning into monsters :D  Cute monsters ;)

Batch # 1 is 27 days old today :D

They are poop machines!  I mean, holy cow are they super poopers!

The 20 gallon is starting to get crowded for them.  When I went a hunting for duckweed today, I was also keeping an eye out for some stock tanks.  I was thinking if I got one big enough, the fry could have enough room to grow up and once the majority found permanent homes, I could use the stock tank as an above ground pond on my patio. 

My intention was to get a Rubbermaid stock tank or another plastic alternative as that was one of the lesser expensive options, but somehow I came home with this:

20160228_165232_zps0kpb5jnd.jpg

It's a 140(ish) galvanized stock tank.  I was surprised that the cost ended up being a little less than $1 per gallon, which made it way more affordable than what I was originally looking at.  Plus, I'll be able to more easily see the fry when I look down into the tank.

Right now it is sitting outside.  I just filled it up with water and intend on doing a good cleaning before the fry will move in (inside, of course).  I have a lot of learning to do (about the tank, ponds, etc.) and will most likely end up posting in the pond section at some point :)

Happy Sunday!

Not bad! Nice stock tub!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Not bad! Nice stock tub!

Thanks!  I was a little nervous once I got it home and started looking up galvanized tubs... for a while there were a lot of people posting online about the worry of zinc leaching out into the water, but the more I looked into it, it seems there are plenty of people that have successfully kept goldies in these tanks without issue.  I'd like to read a bit more, but I think so long as I'm not using copper and I take proper care of the tank, they should be fine.

They are mowing through their BBS crazy quick now so this afternoon I thought I'd try putting some Repashy Soilent Green to see if they were interested :)

I made 1 part Repashy and 4 parts tank water.  Once it had set and cooled, I cut a big chunk and plopped it in...

They swam around for about 10 minutes trying to figure out where the delicious smell was coming from before they found the Repashy:

First there was ONE

And then there were MORE

Followed by FRENZY

Ending with ZOMERGHERD

:teehee

Good times.

I took the piece out a little while later as I didn't want to ruin their dinner :Scoff:

ZOMERGHERD

omg look at that swarm :rofl3

:teehee

Yesterday, batch #1 officially became 1 month old :D  Happy birthday little guys.

They moved to the stock tub on Tuesday (3/1/2016) and are in about 60 gallons of water:

At first I was a little sad to move them from a glass aquarium where I could see them from every angle, into the stock tub where I could really only see them from the top.  Once I got them in the stock tank, I was surprised that I actually like this a bit more :D  It's so fun to watch them zip around and bebop about the tank.  Plus, they have started schooling which is the cutest thing to watch.  

:thumbup2: