Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Bmitchell486

Does time of day matter?

8 posts in this topic

So, recently I was evaluating my fish and their growth rates.  I don't necessarily want large fish for the heck of it, but I want to see growth for the peace of mind that my fish are happy and healthy.

I got 2 baby ranchu's a year ago - Otis and Milo.  Otis has tripled in size and I'm happy with his growth.  But Milo is still about half the size of Otis.  I decided to try to increase protein in their feeding to see if Milo might grow more (because maybe it's not the food, maybe he's just a peanut).

My old feeding schedule: NLS pellets once a day, Soilent Green once a day, and bloodworms whenever I remembered (probably once every 2-3 weeks).

My new feeding schedule: Started last week - Bloodworms in the morning, Soilent Green at night, and NLS pellets a few times a week at midday.

My question is -- does timing matter at all when feeding protein vs. plant based food?  I decided to feed bloodworms in the morning, bc it makes sense to me that it would give them energy throughout the day.  And I decided to feed Soilent Green at night bc of the plant content (I know it has protein too, but plant matter is the first ingredient) will help them digest and keep things moving through their bellies at night.  I thought maybe bloodworms at night could block them up somehow? It's just my own "common sense" thinking here.

Does anyone know when the best time of day is to feed protein? And when is the best time to feed plant based foods to aid in digestion?  I know it's a pretty trivial question, but I figured I'd ask anyways :)

I think it was Jared that had done some experimentation with this, and came up with this type of schedule:

Morning: pellets/protein meal

Lunch: Veggie meal (soilent/super green, nori, duckweed, etc) 

Dinner: Bloodworms.

I've read a bunch of times that frozen bloodworms are pretty easily digestible, so since they have the entire night between their next meal, they shouldn't be stopped up come breakfast. As for veggies for lunch, makes total sense to me to throw that right in the middle. Keep it moving so they can keep :Scoff:

But, I can't stick to anything if it doesn't work for me! :rofl

So, I've been feeding bloodworms in the morning. I simply cannot go into my daughter's room at 10 every night and mess with the filters so they can have their noms. Then either nori or algaemax pellets in the afternoon, and another pellet at night. 

Does it really really matter? I have no idea. But if it makes you feel better, and you don't see any bad side effect, then do it! That's how I see it anyway. :peeka:D 

I personally believe that the time of day does matter, especially with what kind of food you are feeding. Both Jared and I experimented with this in the past. I don't remember his results, but I think mine were this:

Bloodworms: Digest quickly, and are a good laxative.

Gel food: Digests quickly, but not quite as much due to fiber.

Pellets: Slower digesting.

You feed the fastest-digesting stuff first thing in the morning, so that you don't have it stuck behind slower-digesting food creating gas. The gel makes a good lunch, since the fiber will digest a bit slower. And then come dinner you feed the pellets, so they can take all night to digest. 

Edited by ChelseaM

I doubt it.   What was the design of these experiments?

I don't think it makes a difference but it can't hurt. In the wild or in an outdoor pond they would be grazing and eating whatever becomes available 24/7. A crawfish at 2am is just as good as a crawfish at 2pm.

With that said, I always feed either FBW or a plant based matter for their last meal of the day. To me it makes sense even if it is baseless in facts.

I personally believe that the time of day does matter, especially with what kind of food you are feeding. Both Jared and I experimented with this in the past. I don't remember his results, but I think mine were this:

You feed the fastest-digesting stuff first thing in the morning, so that you don't have it stuck behind slower-digesting food creating gas. The gel makes a good lunch, since the fiber will digest a bit slower. And then come dinner you feed the pellets, so they can take all night to digest. 

I had it all wrong!  I assumed that the bloodworm protein would be like a steak for a human -- takes a while to digest.

I'm glad to know it's digested quickly.  Since most days I only feed bloodworms and Soilent Green, it won't matter as much.  But when I feed pellets, I'll be sure to feed them as the last meal of the day.

Thanks for the input!

I had it all wrong!  I assumed that the bloodworm protein would be like a steak for a human -- takes a while to digest.

I'm glad to know it's digested quickly.  Since most days I only feed bloodworms and Soilent Green, it won't matter as much.  But when I feed pellets, I'll be sure to feed them as the last meal of the day.

Thanks for the input!

Bloodworms are a pretty decent laxative, honestly. :)

I doubt it.   What was the design of these experiments?

For mine, I carefully controlled the diet over a couple of months to see if there was any change in poop type, size, or quality based on when I fed the pellets. I had the best poop feeding them in the evening. If I fed them in the morning, I would have long and bubbly poop the next morning. At night meant that the poops would be short and uniform with little to no bubbling.

Gosh, I'm not near as scientific as ya'll............I feed Mazuri Gel Food in the morning & drop two or three pellets somewhere in the tank for them to find.  Then repeat Mazuri in the evening.  If I am fixing something with fruit or veggies I usually chop some up & drop it in!

Edited by Jeana727