Sign in to follow this  
Calamity

I am no longer a goldfish parent

18 posts in this topic

From 3 to none.

I got word from my parents last night that One Eye had passed away.

No signs or reasons, he was good one second and gone the next time they looked at the tank.

Unfortunately I don't live in the same house my goldfish or salt water tank reside in.  Until I own my own house, my big tanks have to stay with my parents.  My dad used to be big into his fish tank and promised to look after everyone for me, so he knows what he's doing.

I lost Squishy a few months ago, other then her odd tumor looking thing on her wen, it was the same thing. Ate breakfast just fine then poof.
Calico was a big floaty ryukin mess who passed away well over a year ago.

I had just seen One eye a few days ago and he was fantastic.  For a fish that has 1 eye, and is disabled from having super long pectorals and a tail twice his own body length, he was a champ. 

Nobody was having floaty or sinking issues.  I mean I guess they weren't the best of quality stock being from Petsmart and all.

Would have been 4 years this year I had them. 

So I really don't have any reason to be on this forum anymore, and I'm far to broke to sponsor, but I like the people here, youre all actually helpful unlike other forums :P

Sadly the only good photos I have of both of them are baby photos, because taking photos through a bow front sucks so I didn't really get pictures of them. 

One Eye
NewGoldfish031.jpg
NewGoldfish036.jpg

Squishy

GoldfishUpdate061.jpg
GoldfishUpdate046.jpg

Calico

GoldfishUpdate035.jpg

Oh, so sad,  They were lovely fish.

Verysorry to hear this! :(

Squishy was a real cutie. 

Hopefully soon you will be able to keep them in your own home. :hug

They were lovely fish, & I'm sorry to hear that the last one is gone :(

Just because you don't have goldfish right now, doesn't mean you won't get some again - & you need to be up-to-date on all the latest & best goldfish info! And you have friends here :)

Sorry to hear this!!

Sorry for your loss. 

That stinks, I'm sorry he died!

I agree, it's okay to be here even without goldfish. I spent a fair bit of time here before I ever purchased my fish friends, and the community is valuable for far more than aquarium and disease advice ;)

Sorry you lost your last guy :(

Sorry you no longer have any goldies :(

Sorry you lost one eye. You don't have to leave. We do have other topics in here and you still have knowledge you can share.  So stick around.

So sorry to hear your last goldie has passed <3 I totally understand as I too lost a one a little while ago for what seemed like no apparent reason :(  Virtual hugs on your loss.

Im sorry to hear this hun... Its never easy loosing your fish and really when all of them go at the same time :(

Im sorry

but you dont have to leave, we have alot of ppl with no fish here. plus there is more than just goldfish talk here.. :)

Sorry you lost little one eye. sadhug.gif

Thanks everyone, might be awhile before I do goldies again.  Just don't have the space here or at my parents to set up a whole quarantine tank and what not.  But I still have my planted shrimp/betta tanks here.  As well as my saltie tank at my parents house.
I will be tearing down my goldie tank next time im at my parents.  If I ever do goldies again, I will NOT use a bowfront.  Hate hate hated that stupid bow front.  So hard to take good photos though bent glass or clean it properly with my algae magnet LOL

I found my video of when I was trying to decide which goldfish to take home.  Looks like that was actually exactly 3 years ago, not 4, my first batch of goldfish I had in the 90 that didn't make it through QT were 4 years ago and that's when I joined this forum.   Note to self.  NO MORE PETSMART FISH!
I remember now... that stunning black oranda in the top tank that I posted the video here... had you guys help me decide if it was worth trying to rehab the poor squishy faced black fish, or start with 2 smaller healthy looking ones. 

In the beginning of the video you can see me focus on One Eye, and the tank directly to the right of where One Eye is, is Squishy, I didn't even focus on that tank at all, I went directly to the 2 tanks to the right of Squishys, then up top to the larger goldies. 
But when I'm looking at the Calicos around 40 seconds in, I can see Squishy in the video :)

Wow. I have to say - those tanks look WAY BETTER than the tanks I got my two from. I see mostly healthy looking fish and no dead ones, not tons of poop flying around in semi cloudy water, and the tanks are of course overstocked, but not MASSIVELY so.

The Walmart I got my fish from was wayyy worse than that. No plants or decoration or substrate. Way more crowded, dead and half eaten corpses etc. I haven't looked at the fish section at the local Petco, but from the LOOKS of it - Petco and PetSmart obviously care more than Walmart.

Oh. And I can relate to a "big Ryukin mess". My Slate is just that. A big, smelly, lumpy headed, mutated Ryukin mess. Not floaty, but it may come. Still love him, though!

I was actually working at that petsmart at the time of that video.  (my part time job between finishing my training and getting a job as a medic)
Petsmart actually has some pretty good policys regarding the fish/small animals there.  Managers at this store (and the one I was at before) were pretty strict about making sure corporate schedules and policys were followed.

Dead pulls were to be done every hour,  each tank is required to have an ornament or multiples depending on its size.  Each section gets scrubbed once a week.  So every weekday a wall of tanks got algae scrubbed and the python was brought out to gravel vac.  Meanwhile the ornaments from the tank section done were pulled and sanitized.  There is a HUGE sump behind the fish wall that actually brings in new water all the time, so ammonia/nitrite/nitrate were always within acceptable levels.  Feeder goldfish are on a separate coldwater sump system that does the same thing.  Ill fish are to be taken into the 'quiet room', though most don't survive the tank of death as I called it, however some did.  That one gets medicated and cleaned more often. 
However I've noticed now, especially in our area, so many new petsmarts have opened up and the new managers are useless and stuff is just going down hill.  If you see dead fish and nasties in the petsmart tanks, send an email and photos right to corporate head offices, its against policy for them to be like that.