Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ommo13

Goldfish is laying on bottom for days :(

Hello! I am so happy to be able to get some help here, thank you!

My goldfish Bob has been laying on the bottom of the tank for a few days now. She has suffered on and off w/ floating/swimbladder issues since I got her (hence her name!) - She is about 5/6 years old.  

She is in a 30 gallon tank with one other fish.  She has been doing great the past few weeks w/o any incidence, and then all of a sudden, she started floating again.  Often after a night of floating, she'll lay exhausted on the bottom of the tank the next day and I'll turn the light off so she can rest, but she is not bouncing back. She is still hungry and I've been trying peas to get things moving, but I haven't seen any poop come out.  She will zoom up to the top of the tank from time to time but then sink backdown- so she seems enthusiastic and hungry.  

Thank you!
Antonia

Here's a video of her:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RT7T947dK-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other pertinient info:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank PH 7.4 (our tap/well water is 7.0/7.2)
  •  

• Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Master Test Kit 
    • * Water temperature? 68
    • * Tank size (how many gals.)  and how long has it been running? 30 - 2.5 years
    • What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 

Aquaclear 50 Gallon

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% + every week 80% once a month

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  - 6 days ago 80%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 - 5 inches

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?  Mazuri gel 5B0D gel for herbivores 2x/day plus peas and parboiled greens from time to time
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No

Welcome to Kokos Antonia. Someone will be along to help you.

Sorry to hear she hasn't bounced back this time.

While you wait for a moderator to get to you, could you please check the tap water parameters?

If you have easy access to a GH and KH test kit, that could be helpful too.

Just to be clear, these fish have never been treated with flukes before?

Good luck! Sometimes all it takes is something as simple as extra water changes.

Get her a shallow container, something like this .  Use this as her hospital tank with only about 4 inches of water.  This will allow her to swim without struggling.  Get some duckweed.  You can find it on line.  This very nutritious food has helped fish with buoyancy problems.  It also encourages swimming up to eat it which keeps her active.  With the shallow water, she can do this without exhaustion.  

To me, her abdomen looks somewhat bloated and oddly shaped, like it sags toward the back.  Does she look the same as usual to you?  Please pick Bob up and check the firmness of her belly.  Is it mushy feeling anywhere?

I know it's annoying, but it really helps us if you copy and paste the d/d form.  Like this:

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm

• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm

• * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 ppm

• * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

• * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0/7.2

• Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Master Test Kit 

• * Water temperature? 68

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 - 2.5 years

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 50 Gallon

• * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% + every week 80% once a month

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  6 days ago 80%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 - 5 inches

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? Mazuri gel 5B0D gel for herbivores 2x/day plus peas and parboiled greens from time to time

• * Any new fish added to the tank?  No

• * Any medications added to the tank?  No

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Then fill in the information, as I  just did.  We read many of these every day,  and when we do, we have to keep referencing other information, and feel pretty frustrated when we don't know where it is.  We do need the illness and treatment history of the sick fish.  You can copy this form from above and paste it in your next post if you need to add something (like that medication history).

I don't think it has anything to do with the current problems, but you probably don't have the ideal food for goldfish.  Goldfish are omnivores, not herbivores.  If you want to feed a gel food, we like Repashy Soilent Green.  Look at the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, ...

Notice that the first 5 ingredients are all things that come from the water.  

Could you please post a picture showing the whole tank?

Edited by shakaho