FishyMandy

Eggs Again!

172 posts in this topic

Love looking at those little on grow... Also my I say Great choice in music too.. My mom's fav song :)

Thanks Koko!

I want babieeessssss!!!!!!!! :nana. I love watching them eat BBS. :teehee

Okay guys they are 24 Days old and I've noticed some weird things on some of them. I can't see them with the naked eye...I can only see them when I'm looking through my magnifying lens on my camera. I've had a fair few more 'random' deaths than I did with my last lot of fry as well. They are currently undergoing Prazi

o5PrHCe.jpg

1OPuDPu.jpg

x80XMMt.jpg

I looked at the fry I found dead today under a microscope, but my scope is very cheap and doesn't get a very clear picture so I couldn't see much and none of the dead ones had these things on them.

Okay guys they are 24 Days old and I've noticed some weird things on some of them. I can't see them with the naked eye...I can only see them when I'm looking through my magnifying lens on my camera. I've had a fair few more 'random' deaths than I did with my last lot of fry as well. They are currently undergoing Prazi

o5PrHCe.jpg

1OPuDPu.jpg

x80XMMt.jpg

I looked at the fry I found dead today under a microscope, but my scope is very cheap and doesn't get a very clear picture so I couldn't see much and none of the dead ones had these things on them.

I don't know what is on the fry but it almost seems like parasitic worms or something but I'm not really too sure :(

:yikes

Whoa!  I'm not sure what those are... do you think their gills or pectoral fins are deformed or are you thinking this is something on the fry?

I'm not sure, it's really hard to tell :(

Yea has me baffled. But I will keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out what it is...maybe the prazi will knock it out if its parasitic. Its only a few that seem to have them at the moment

So another weird observation. Almost every day for the past ...week? I've been finding 5-6 dead fry. It's ALWAYS in one tub which is the biggest one. I've put some frogbit into each tub so they could nibble on the roots and hide underneath...the frogbit in that particular tub has developed black spots!

I think I'm going to pull all the fry out of it after work today and clean it out completely and make it a 100% WC With lots of scrubbing to see if that makes a difference

I hope it helps!

WCs all done and I've done another count.

The Count at the four week mark is 110

shEA4Z2.jpg

h5ggNez.jpg

KMzfVgf.jpg

e1yhGCG.jpg

nKriXAm.jpg

Axb6kIj.jpg

As you can see soe of them are really getting the round pearlie belly..and some of them are really round but have single tails! I think they look really cool!

Happy 1 month birthday little fry :)  

Hope the water change helped and you don't keep finding dead fry.  110 fry is amazing.  

You are doing such a good job!   I love seeing your updates.

This is one of my fave threads at the moment :D

The pictures are so cute and awesome!! Love seeing the development. you are doing a fantastic job!

Aw thank you guys!

Well I haven't been having a good time with my fry...for a couple days I found none dead..but then I was back to finding 5-6 every day. Today I found 15! I admit I haven't been able to test the water and I missed yesterdays WC :( 

I decided it was going to be much easier to cope with smaller numbers in each tub...so I now have about 50 (just over 50 I think) between two 20 gallon tubs and a 15 gallon tank. To do this I had to do a very brutal cull...any that looked off..any that had any problems swimming..even if slight..any that hadn't grown or developed properly or as much as others...that was 25 culled. It was very hard but I know it will save those tiny things turning into big problems and will be better for the remaining ones in the long run.

Hopefully now I'll be able to manage better and have a lot less deaths.

It looks a bit like anchor or hook worm? What have they been exposed to in terms of other fish, aquarium equipment, and habitats? Are you quarantining the frogbit?

Edited by Arctic Mama

As far as other fish they've been exposed to the same stuff as my pond fish because I moved some algae and frogbit into their tubs for them. I also used my python for refilling (on very very slowly so it was a trickle)

The white things were only in the 15 gallon tank..they seem to be gone now and they never appeared on the fry that were in the tubs or on any of my adult fish  :idont

That would be the hardest part...culling...

That would be the hardest part...culling...

it really is! I just have to remind myself that although these issues seem small now they wil lturn into big issues in big fish...and that it will be better in the long run for the ones that are remaining

Yes that's it, bigger picture thoughts is the way to go

Hi guys

So I found three more dead today.

When I looked closer it looked like their stomachs were split? I took some photos with the microscope so you can see. I'll link to them so if people don't want to see them they don't have to.

http://i.imgur.com/TLRYgnt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OHRdjtY.jpg

And here is one taken just with my camera

http://i.imgur.com/if4qRY3.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Aw I'm so sorry :(  I hope others here help you find out the cause of their split stomachs.

Oh no :(  So sorry to hear this is happening.  I hope someone chimes in with some experience and you're able to get some resolution.