Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
colley614

Oranda with white fuzz.

Hi Guys,

My Oranda has some little patches of white fuzz around it's face. Any idea what it could be and how to treat? I have just noticed it as he was bottom sitting. I checked him over and spotted it. I am checking the parameters now.

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.50ppm

• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) <.5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank 7.2 (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.4
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater drops

• * Water temperature? 21oC
      • * Tank size 400 litres, about 90 Gallon and how long has it been running? September.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Sump with filter sock. K1 sponge filters and bio balls and Carbon in sock.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days 50%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4X 4-6 inch Orandas. 2X 2 inch Bristlenose Plecos.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? SeaChem Prime.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? AM Repashy solient green. Early evening 1 block of frozen bloodworm and 1 brine shrimp defrosted. Supper Hikari Oranda about 50-60 pellets. Occasionally peas, spinach, Nori.   
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not in about months.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

​0.3% salt for one week for quarantine. Followed by one week NTLABS Anti-fluke & wormer. during intial quarantine in November time. 

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

​Occasional bottom sitting, white fluffy spots on head. 

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.50ppm

• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) <.5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank 7.2 (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.4
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater drops

• * Water temperature? 21oC
      • * Tank size 400 litres, about 90 Gallon and how long has it been running? September.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Sump with filter sock. K1 sponge filters and bio balls and Carbon in sock.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days 50%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4X 4-6 inch Orandas. 2X 2 inch Bristlenose Plecos.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? SeaChem Prime.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? AM Repashy solient green. Early evening 1 block of frozen bloodworm and 1 brine shrimp defrosted. Supper Hikari Oranda about 50-60 pellets. Occasionally peas, spinach, Nori.   
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not in about months.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

​0.3% salt for one week for quarantine. Followed by one week NTLABS Anti-fluke & wormer. during intial quarantine in November time. 

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

​Occasional bottom sitting, white fluffy spots on head. 

Someone will be along to help you . If you could post some picture's that would be helpful.

The lights have ramped down now. Will have to take some in the morning.

We need pictures.

Do you have any idea why you have ammonia in the tank?

I will get pics up tomorrow now. As for the Ammonia, I'm miffed by that. I have a piece of driftwood, I'm considering pulling that out to see what happens but the plecos live under it so I would need to put something for them to live under. 

Edited by colley614

I really don't know much about your filtration.  Can you show a picture of the sump?  What flow rate do you have?  How often do you clean it?

Do you have a substrate?  If so, what kind and how deep?

A piece of driftwood per se should not elevate ammonia.Debris collecting under it  could present a problem.  Just move it and clean under it, the plecos won't like it, but they'll get over it.

One rarely sees ammonia in a tank running as long as yours unless the tank has way too many fish or way too little water change, neither of which applies to your tank. 

I really don't know much about your filtration. Can you show a picture of the sump? What flow rate do you have? How often do you clean it?

Do you have a substrate? If so, what kind and how deep?

A piece of driftwood per se should not elevate ammonia.Debris collecting under it could present a problem. Just move it and clean under it, the plecos won't like it, but they'll get over it.

One rarely sees ammonia in a tank running as long as yours unless the tank has way too many fish or way too little water change, neither of which applies to your tank.

Good catch. I wonder what is decaying or if there was maybe even a swing in the taps?

Pictures of the filter and full tank in addition to the fish would be helpful if you can, please. You're in great hands with Sharon and I'm interested to see more of this tank and what answers we can find. These funky scenarios where nothing immediately is apparent are where I personally learn the most :)

White fluffy spots on the head of an Oranda can be completely normal and my indicate new wen growth. Nothing to worry about. Can't say for sure without pictures though. Also, can you not just turn on a light and take a picture?