Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Goldfish growth rates

So I got my two Goldies at the exact same time. Last October 15th. Slate was a LITTLE bigger than Rhonda. Now Slate is WAY BIGGER than Rhonda. I believe they are both Ryukins as well. I weighed them today. Slate - 51 grams. Rhonda - 12 grams. POOR RHONDA!

Slate does steal lots of food, and I've had trouble getting enough to Rhonda. He also chases Rhonda constantly (I don't know their genders so bear with me). I've even removed Slate a few times so Rhonda could get enough. So far neither of them have shown any signs of illness and have been perfectly healthy.

I've always felt bad for Rhonda, is there anything I can or should be doing to maybe help him? Or is everything okay and he's just a dinky little fish? What could be other causes for one fish growing way faster than the other? I know it could be just genetic. Just trying to enrich myself with fishy knowledge! Thanks for any input!

I would suggest attempting to teach Rhonda to hand-feed. This would make it easier to feed him/her, while Slate can just go about cleaning up the bottom of the tank like normal. :) 

How do I do this? Slate is less hand shy even though I don't stick my hands in there often. Here's an example of what I mean about feeding time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goEpAb-6Tp8

As you can see, Rhonda gets VERY LITTLE, so he IS very little. I feel for the little guy but aside from physically removing Slate from the tank, I haven't been successful at helping Rhonda.

Get a tank divider and use it at feeding time. 

Get a tank divider and use it at feeding time.

Ah, yes. Forgot about those. Gonna be a hassle to use twice a day, but I guess its my best option.

You could always teach both fish to hand-feed. I have greedy fish, so I feed the greedy one first, and then while she's distracted, feed the other one. My older, shyer fish never hand fed before I got the little greedy one, but she started being willing to do it once she saw my bolder fish eating from my fingers and not coming to any harm. 

Do I need to use both hands at first? Rhonda won't get anything while Slate is there. I'd very much like to learn how to hand feed. The divider will work, but using it all the time will be a huge hassle (and an expense).

Does Slate stop to chew? Perhaps then you could shoo him away and direct your attention to Rhonda. Or perhaps temporarily sequester him with a plastic colander while he's eating if you don't want to use a tank separator.

Just thinking out loud. 

Remove the rocks and spread the food throughout the tank.