Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
mjfromga

Tap water ammonia

17 posts in this topic

So I goofily accidentally didn't realize I was running out of water conditioner. I have some Seachem Prime on the way, but its not here yet. I went ahead with their WC with a bit less water conditioner than necessary. I never use as much as they say and am always fine anyway. I tested their water afterwards, just to make sure they were good to go, and I think I saw TRACES of ammonia.

Never had it before. So I decided to test the tap water, got the same exact color. I used just the cheap Jungle water conditioner, which I've often used (and sometimes Goldfish Protect) until I realized Prime is a better value very recently. Is there any cause for concern? Needless to say, I'll be more careful next time. The rest of their post water change parameters are perfectly good, as usual.

Thanks for any input!

post-25299-0-47575300-1453528827_thumb.j

As long as you have an active biofilter that can convert ammonia to nitrates you will be fine. I used to run 2,000+ gallon water changes with just sodium thiosulfate which would only break the chloramine bond, thus resulting in no chlorine but free ammonia. Filters always took care of the ammonia in short order and I'm guessing that your tank will do the same.

Okay goody! Only detected a teensy little bit anyway. No nitrite and there's usually 5-10 ppm of nitrate before the change and no detectable levels afterwards. PH is stable and I should be good. On another note, how are you feeling today?

Okay goody! Only detected a teensy little bit anyway. No nitrite and there's usually 5-10 ppm of nitrate before the change and no detectable levels afterwards. PH is stable and I should be good. On another note, how are you feeling today?

Test that water tomorrow morning and I'll guarantee no ammonia. I'm glad you asked but I'm getting better by the day, doctors diagnosed a viral lung infection which is not good for asthmatics. I have never felt closer to death than last Wednesday night but I'm a tough Polack and have been keeping fish for years. I only wish this website managed to keep some of my insights. 

Check out the Pond section and I still have a thread devoted to QT on there. I think it goes back to 2004. 

With your focus on every little aspect you will be a terrific GF keeper in the long term. The truth is they are some of, if not the hardest fish too keep in a tank. So every single person on here is fighting an uphill battle......but they're so cute and receptive it's all worth it. I took a 5 year hiatus and started up with Fancy goldfish.....maybe it's just a curse or more likely a addiction.

Here is my link from 12 years ago. It is very informative and exposes my questionable decisions as well as what  I did right and what I did wrong. ###### that was a blast from the past, but very informative even though it was related to koi. Just keep on learning and surround yourself by those who know better and have the experience.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9134-the-importance-of-quarantine/

Edited by jetman73

Sorry about the lung infection. I had one years ago that sent me to the ER as well. At first they thought I was having a heart attack! It was a collapsed lung that left me ICU bound for 12 days. My Pulse Ox numbers were in the 70s on 24/7 full oxygen. Coughing up green stuff all the time. Was beaten to knock it loose and shaken with a vibrating vest. Needed a tube to remove the infection. Sucked!

I did read a lot of the thread. I got my two from two different sections (small "fantails" $2.48 and "calico fantails" $5.68) and just tossed them into my tank! Turns out Rhonda is a Ryukin, not a "fantail". Slate was a gray fish in a tank full of calicos and he said HI!! so he was mine right then. LOVE THEM! I'm SO GLAD my dudes are strong little buggers, I made SO MANY errors at first. But they have fought through everything and are doing well now. Here to make sure they keep thriving and growing (especially poor little Rhonda, who is bullied by Slate). Thanks for all your help and hope you get to feeling better!

Sorry about the lung infection. I had one years ago that sent me to the ER as well. At first they thought I was having a heart attack! It was a collapsed lung that left me ICU bound for 12 days. My Pulse Ox numbers were in the 70s on 24/7 full oxygen. Coughing up green stuff all the time. Was beaten to knock it loose and shaken with a vibrating vest. Needed a tube to remove the infection. Sucked!

I did read a lot of the thread. I got my two from two different sections (small "fantails" $2.48 and "calico fantails" $5.68) and just tossed them into my tank! Turns out Rhonda is a Ryukin, not a "fantail". Slate was a gray fish in a tank full of calicos and he said HI!! so he was mine right then. LOVE THEM! I'm SO GLAD my dudes are strong little buggers, I made SO MANY errors at first. But they have fought through everything and are doing well now. Here to make sure they keep thriving and growing (especially poor little Rhonda, who is bullied by Slate). Thanks for all your help and hope you get to feeling better!

Somewhat unfortunately but we have some things in common. I was below 80% with blue lips, hands, and face. I have no idea what my toes looked like but i'm sure they were blue. It sounds like you had it way worse and I was wondering about my will. Stay away from the light  :whistle

With your devotion and anal retentiveness (terms of endearment) you will be fine if you stick with it. Sometimes I forget my first two goldies were from Wallyworld and were placed in a ten gallon tank. That Fantal made it 7-8 years and lived a fantastic life. . 

I have ammonia in my tap water. Like jetman said, provided your filter is cycled the beneficial bacteria are usually able to deal with it. I don't worry about it anymore. :)

He was right. After a while, it turned yellow as normal. I guess it's not a big deal. It was only BARELY detectable levels anyway. Thanks :)

Just make sure you have a well established filter and you will be fine. Counting on a filter that just completed the nitrogen cycle would be a gamble. I've always felt better when my filters Bio Media was years in the making.

My air pump broke so to help my buddies breathe in the meantime, I had to lower the water level so the filter splash could help aerate the water. Less water means more potential problems. I realize that. I ordered a new one but its not here yet. They will be fine in the meantime.

Also, my Seachem Prime is stuck in the mail and should be here before Friday when I do my 50% WC, but won't arrive tomorrow in time for my smaller 25% WC so I'll have to skip that one. No way for my media to be years old since I got the fish last October and didn't bother with a cycle since I didn't even know about them back then. Can only work with what I have, so said gamble must be taken.

Got a new larger filter and added all the old media and some extra new media and all tests just came back clear. I think I'm good to go. There might be a wee bit of trouble as the new filter gets established, but I am on top of everything for now. Carefully monitoring everything. Fish are still perfectly fine, and will keep a close eye out for issues, as I always do. Thanks for the help, everyone.

My air pump broke so to help my buddies breathe in the meantime, I had to lower the water level so the filter splash could help aerate the water. Less water means more potential problems. I realize that. I ordered a new one but its not here yet. They will be fine in the meantime.

Also, my Seachem Prime is stuck in the mail and should be here before Friday when I do my 50% WC, but won't arrive tomorrow in time for my smaller 25% WC so I'll have to skip that one. No way for my media to be years old since I got the fish last October and didn't bother with a cycle since I didn't even know about them back then. Can only work with what I have, so said gamble must be taken.

Got a new larger filter and added all the old media and some extra new media and all tests just came back clear. I think I'm good to go. There might be a wee bit of trouble as the new filter gets established, but I am on top of everything for now. Carefully monitoring everything. Fish are still perfectly fine, and will keep a close eye out for issues, as I always do. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Everything sounds good and I understand that you will not have a multigenerational  bio load media. Believe it or not but I am behind your protocols because my system is completely virgin. I'm starting from complete scratch and I like it that way.

Keep up your water changes...regardless of your water parameters. Don't make your water changes based on water quality results. I can not stress that factor any further. 

OT On your fish. They could easily be from the exact same spawn. Some will takeoff and others will lag behind......the bigger factor is culling/sembetsu.

Never get cocky. 

"Never get cocky"

Ah, boy. I'm far from cocky as a new fish keeper. I'm going to let this statement go, as I can see now that you just kind of have this kind of backwardly aggressive thing as part of your personality. I will assume no harm is meant. All is well for now and with everyone here to help me, I feel as if I stand a good chance of taking proper care of my guys for a long time. How any cockiness came off in my statement, I really have no idea.

I do not make WC based off of quality. I do two per week. Since my fish don't like to be in only 25% of their water, I do one 25% and one 50% change per week. Extra trouble because my fish like it better. I've never had issues on my tests even though I didn't know about cycling and stuff. I'm keeping a very close eye out and I trust that if I'm careful and monitor closely, with the help I have here, I can attack any issues before they get out of hand.

Ive been very lucky so far and am dedicated to trying to help my buddies live long happy lives. You were a beginner at one point, please try to realize that overdoing things and/or overstating things can just scare a beginner rather than encourage them. I'm not cocky, I'm just a fishkeeper, same as you are. Not experienced yet, but that's what the site is for! :)

Edited by mjfromga

"Never get cocky"

Ah, boy. I'm far from cocky as a new fish keeper. I'm going to let this statement go, as I can see now that you just kind of have this kind of backwardly aggressive thing as part of your personality. I will assume no harm is meant. All is well for now and with everyone here to help me, I feel as if I stand a good chance of taking proper care of my guys for a long time. How any cockiness came off in my statement, I really have no idea.

I do not make WC based off of quality. I do two per week. Since my fish don't like to be in only 25% of their water, I do one 25% and one 50% change per week. Extra trouble because my fish like it better. I've never had issues on my tests even though I didn't know about cycling and stuff. I'm keeping a very close eye out and I trust that if I'm careful and monitor closely, with the help I have here, I can attack any issues before they get out of hand.

Ive been very lucky so far and am dedicated to trying to help my buddies live long happy lives. You were a beginner at one point, please try to realize that overdoing things and/or overstating things can just scare a beginner rather than encourage them. I'm not cocky, I'm just a fishkeeper, same as you are. Not experienced yet, but that's what the site is for! :)

It's poor wording on my part but keeping fish for any number of years will give you humble roots. You're doing everything right....until you're not. A couple of weeks of google is not going to help, it might help, but that is about it.

A couple of weeks ago, you couldn't even read a basic Nitrate test kit. I appreciate and love your passion towards these fish, only problem is more than half have burned out and never post hear again after a few months,

Here is a few pieces of my advice if you or anyone else cares. "Never overdo it." . "Don't overreact and medicate unmercifully"  " Stop guessing what is wrong". "when in doubt change water."

I realize they don't relate too your tank but it is a good learning experience.

Another overly aggressive post. "You're doing everything right - until you're not" The problem is - MOST etc. etc." "A couple of weeks ago, you couldn't even read a basic Nitrate test". If you know of my nitrate help, then you know me from another site, which makes your attack on my " tiny" tank perplexing. I'm no longer a member of that site (I ASKED to be removed). Why even mention that here? Awful and irrelevant as if I have a problem, I ask for help. That's how you learn.

You know what? Other members can give me as good as or better advice than you without being aggressive or acting high and mighty. I don't wish to keep having to defend myself against posts that are meant to "help" me. Your "poor wording" is offensive, point blank. I didn't come here to bicker or be condescended or to have my previous issues from ANOTHER site that I've corrected be thrown here at me for no real reason. Can I ask that you please not reply to anymore of my posts? It goes without saying that I will not reply to any of yours either. Thank you.

That's enough,mjfromga.  If you don't like someone's advice, don't respond to it.  We have a strong policy about fighting on this forum, and you are pushing the limit.  Perhaps you need to read more carefully and take a break before you react.  "Never get cocky," does not mean that you were cocky, it refers to the future.  When Jetman said  "keeping fish for any number of years will give you humble roots. You're doing everything right....until you're not." he was clearly speaking about what had happened to him.

Jetman, I suggest you follow mjfromga's request and stop offering her advice.