Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Sexing my goldfish

I've tried to use all the guidelines but just CAN'T TELL! Slate has the underbelly ridge and is more aggressive than Rhonda, but I really can't tell by looking at their vents. Even when I first got them and they were tiny, Slate would chase Rhonda around and steal food. Can anybody tell? I don't see breeding stars on either fish, neither has a protruding vent, and I really just can't tell. I've asked others and have gotten no definitive answer. Thanks for any input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLQgzgyRMk

I spent ages looking through that and closely looking at my fish. I still can't tell at all. Suppose I'm jiust incompetent or maybe my fish are too young to really tell. Thanks.

Hehe don't feel bad! I remember reading that it can be very difficult to tell the sex, particularly if the fish are small. I'm unsure of the sex of my smallest fish, I jus can't tell either...my largest one reabsorbed eggs, so that gave her away, and I THINK my middle sized fish is female... But who knows?

I vaguely remember another member saying that because it can be hard to tell, the only way to be certain either way is if they have eggs... But don't quote me on that :)

I'd love to know franks sex but I guess I'll have to wait until he's bigger!

Well to me your Blue Ryukin is a Female :)

Thanks, everyone. Slate, the blue dude was told to me by someone else to be male. Haha I really have no idea. All in time.

Why does this concern you so much?  Once they reach breeding age, it should be easy to tell who's what.

Um that's what I just said. It doesn't "concern" me overmuch, I merely wanted to be able to accurately call them he/she before they were a year old. I see it can't be done so it isn't a big deal.

Just wondering for general purposes. Would a female fish constantly chase another fish? And if it did, would it be only another female? Or could it be male, too? This is all very interesting stuff.

Just wondering for general purposes. Would a female fish constantly chase another fish? And if it did, would it be only another female? Or could it be male, too? This is all very interesting stuff.

baby fish often chase each other...they are playing.. goldfish are social fish :)

Ah, I see. Yes, goldfish are social fish. Unlike plecos and many other species, goldfish will recognize you and swim up to you as you pass their tank or feed them. I've had times where I dropped in food but all Slate wanted to do was say hi. Very social guys, indeed!

Beautiful Goldfish!!!

Thanks a ton. Tried to post this earlier, but I couldn't. Site wouldn't load. I saw youer cichlids, very nice!

Thanks a ton. Tried to post this earlier, but I couldn't. Site wouldn't load. I saw youer cichlids, very nice!

Thank you so much!!!!!!