Kokos Goldfish Forum
Yennie

Signs of obesity in goldfish

My two goldfish has lived happily in their 40 gallon tank for the past 9 month. I got them super tiny and although they have grown a little since I got them, a nagging thought in the back of my head kept telling me that they don't grow fast enough for the first year of their lives. They used to eat goldfish flakes, shrimp pellets as a treat along with some freeze dried bloodworms and random veggies. Now, about a month ago their diet finally got upgraded to frozen bloodworms instead of freeze dried and Saki-Hikari pellets. My little guys grew more this month than for the past 8! 0_o Fantail, that used to be half size of ryukin when I got them, not only caughed up, but even became larger than my ryukin! They are still pretty small fish for their age (or at least I think so), but seeing this difference made me pretty happy :teehee

Until I started to question everything.... Do you think my ryukin is getting fat? haha Is this normal belly or is it bloating? Or maybe eggs??? 

[/url]">http://January%2011%202016%201_zpsauqsxfqp.jpg

[/url]">http://January%2011%202016%208_zpsxlqlkw99.jpg

[/url]">http://January%2011%202016%2016_zpsuycjc0v8.jpg

Very pretty!!!!!

They're lovely. Some fish can indeed get obese but a not over feeding (one mouthful a few times per day is often sufficient if you cannot weigh your fish) and keeping foods fresh is important.

Your fish look good!

I think some just have a rounder shape than others. Especially the females. Yours are beautiful! The all orange one looks on the way to having a really beautiful long tail and dorsal.

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I don't think your fish look fat.

My Queen B. is pretty (yucky) greedy about food, and her shape is weird to me. I'll post it if I can. Instead of a smooth body-line there are protrusions  on her underbelly which just look unnatural to me. 

Your post is endearing, becuase I loved my fantail and always worried that I over-indulged him.

Your fish look fine! 

Edited by mysterygirl

Some fish can indeed get obese but ...one mouthful a few times per day is often sufficient if you cannot weigh your fish...

I like this, Arctic Mama.

I once read that was a good way to estimate how to feed a koi: 4 good mouthfuls a day, spaced out as much as you can.

It helps to imagine the volume for a fish if you don't have a scale or are not able to weigh the food. 4 good mouthfuls. 

Sometimes I'm shocked at the large volumes others feed their goldies. But I can't judge: my fish get lots of natural noms in the pond.

Edited by mysterygirl

Symptoms of obesity:  reduced activity, bottom sitting, floatiness.  I think it very difficult to detect obesity in a fancy goldfish by sight, since breeders of some varieties select for very short, fat bodies.   That extreme body type alone can produce symptoms of obesity.

Read (or reread) Steve Hopkins' article on feeding.  I haven't seen anything else as good.

I always say if you think your fish may be looking alittle fat... Fast a day and give peas.... :thumbs: that will clear out the gut and make sure they arent constipated... :)

Symptoms of obesity:  reduced activity, bottom sitting, floatiness.  I think it very difficult to detect obesity in a fancy goldfish by sight, since breeders of some varieties select for very short, fat bodies.   That extreme body type alone can produce symptoms of obesity.

Read (or reread) Steve Hopkins' article on feeding.  I haven't seen anything else as good.

Great article!

Thank you very much everyone for replying! And for the comments >.< I do feed them according to their weight, but they were filling out so fast I was worried type of food I feed them now has more fat (protein?) in it haha and thanks for the article, shakalo, very helpful!

Edited by Yennie

Very nice looking Ryukins there :) 

I like the long tail.. 

Symptoms of obesity: reduced activity, bottom sitting, floatiness. I think it very difficult to detect obesity in a fancy goldfish by sight, since breeders of some varieties select for very short, fat bodies. That extreme body type alone can produce symptoms of obesity.

Read (or reread) Steve Hopkins' article on feeding. I haven't seen anything else as good.

I agree - every one of his articles is worth a read, truthfully, but the diet one is excellent. It's been a year or two since I last saw it so thanks for the link and refresher :)

If they were very little when you got them, they probably will grow faster since they haven't yet matured. They are beautiful!

ryukins typically resemble a wedge shape (triangle) from top view. their shape is very narrow starting at the head and ending with a very square ending booty. your fish look healthy and adorable to me :wub:

ryukins typically resemble a wedge shape (triangle) from top view. their shape is very narrow starting at the head and ending with a very square ending booty. your fish look healthy and adorable to me :wub:

Trust me Helen would know shes a Ryukin and Pearly lover :teehee

Awhhh, thanks, Helen!I do love my fishies and I guess worry too much xD